• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Halton kit list

bigjd

LAC
This is for the benefit of those due to start at Halton. Those that have yet to receive a start date this may be good to know too.

When you get offered a place on initial training you will be sent a kit list of items to bring and the list is quite lengthy! I have found a website that will sell the entire kit list and ship it to you, or you can pick it up on arrival at Halton.

The website is www.supply-drop.co.uk

I found it relieved a fair bit of stress in trying to gather everything for the kit list and thought this may be helpful to others.

To clarify I am in no way affiliated with this company and I am sure others will exist too, I just thought it might be helpful!

Good luck to anybody going through selection or who have allocated start dates for BRTC.

stormwell

LAC
Thanks for the link, though from discussions elsewhere I've seen people comment that the iron and/or ironing board aren't much cop but the rest is generally decent.

bigjd

LAC
Thanks for the link, though from discussions elsewhere I've seen people comment that the iron and/or ironing board aren't much cop but the rest is generally decent.

I ordered the package minus ironing board and iron as I already have that sorted. You have the option to have it with or without, I will let you know what the stuff is like when it lands though!

Deltaitem

Corporal
Call me cynical if you will, but it reads to me like a short cut to removing essential life skills like going to shops and buying stuff, while at the same time making someone a huge wodge of wedge. Still, I guess that's how the world turns. Personally, I fondly remember spending 40 quid (well, it was 1989) on my kit list, then getting the bus back to my parents and finding that I already had half of the stuff at home!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I remember buying the pyjamas you were told to have in 86 that never came out the packet.

fourteen2two

Corporal
You could probably get most of it locally or from the likes of Amazon individually for less. Some of it you probably already have!
Pressing cloth, teatowel or old pillowcase! Dusters polish etc get from Poundstretchers or similar outlets!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Add a couple or few rolls of zinc tape to your list. That stuff is magical.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
£229!!!! If you want the iron and ironing board that'll be £300. What do you get for £229?

• Spray Bottle
  • Minky Ironing Pressing Cloth
  • Kiwi Black Shoe Polish 100ml (1)
  • Kiwi Black Shoe Polish 50ml (1)
  • Kiwi Dark Tan Polish 50ml (2)
  • Brown Horse Hair Boot Brush
  • Black Horse Hair Boot Brush
  • Brown Horse Hair Applicator
  • Black Horse Hair Applicator
  • Military Grade Polishing Cloth
  • Cotton Wool Balls
  • Body Towel Hand Towel, Face Towel (Green)
  • Body Towel, Hand Towel, Face Towel (Brown)
  • Wet Wipes
  • Nail Clipper Set
  • Hair Brush
  • Mycota Foot Powder
  • Soap Dish
  • Compeed Blister Pack (2 Piece)
  • Multi-Sized Waterproof Plasters (16 Piece)
  • Nail Brush
  • Wooden Shirt Hangers (12)
  • Wooden Trouser/Skirt Hangers with Adjustable Clamps (5)
  • Washing Bag Kit (2 Piece)
  • Brasso Wadding Type
  • Scrubbing Brush
  • Washing Sponges (2)
  • Scouring Pads (2)
  • Easy Washing Powder
  • Vanish Stain Remover
  • Clothes Brush
  • Lint Roller
  • Yellow Dusters (4)
  • Head Torch with Red Filter
  • Combination Locks (6)
  • Box File
  • Pencils (2)
  • Multi-Colour Highlighter
  • Sharpie Pen
  • Whiteboard Marker
  • Sewing Kit Bundle (100+ Piece)
  • A4 Lined Notepad
  • Kombat A5 Waterproof Notepad
  • Foam Roller
  • Battery Operated Alarm Clock
  • Stencil Set
  • Sealable Bags (6)
  • Black Pens (2)
  • Trouser Twists (Pairs) (2)
  • Iron/Sew on Name Tags (25)
Certainly an easy option, but you are paying through the nose.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
£229!!!! If you want the iron and ironing board that'll be £300. What do you get for £229?

• Spray Bottle
  • Minky Ironing Pressing Cloth
  • Kiwi Black Shoe Polish 100ml (1)
  • Kiwi Black Shoe Polish 50ml (1)
  • Kiwi Dark Tan Polish 50ml (2)
  • Brown Horse Hair Boot Brush
  • Black Horse Hair Boot Brush
  • Brown Horse Hair Applicator
  • Black Horse Hair Applicator
  • Military Grade Polishing Cloth
  • Cotton Wool Balls
  • Body Towel Hand Towel, Face Towel (Green)
  • Body Towel, Hand Towel, Face Towel (Brown)
  • Wet Wipes
  • Nail Clipper Set
  • Hair Brush
  • Mycota Foot Powder
  • Soap Dish
  • Compeed Blister Pack (2 Piece)
  • Multi-Sized Waterproof Plasters (16 Piece)
  • Nail Brush
  • Wooden Shirt Hangers (12)
  • Wooden Trouser/Skirt Hangers with Adjustable Clamps (5)
  • Washing Bag Kit (2 Piece)
  • Brasso Wadding Type
  • Scrubbing Brush
  • Washing Sponges (2)
  • Scouring Pads (2)
  • Easy Washing Powder
  • Vanish Stain Remover
  • Clothes Brush
  • Lint Roller
  • Yellow Dusters (4)
  • Head Torch with Red Filter
  • Combination Locks (6)
  • Box File
  • Pencils (2)
  • Multi-Colour Highlighter
  • Sharpie Pen
  • Whiteboard Marker
  • Sewing Kit Bundle (100+ Piece)
  • A4 Lined Notepad
  • Kombat A5 Waterproof Notepad
  • Foam Roller
  • Battery Operated Alarm Clock
  • Stencil Set
  • Sealable Bags (6)
  • Black Pens (2)
  • Trouser Twists (Pairs) (2)
  • Iron/Sew on Name Tags (25)
Certainly an easy option, but you are paying through the nose.
To be fair and p1ss taking aside, it appears to be a deal that is not detrimental to the new recruits as long as they can afford it. There's going to be new starters who unfortunately won't be able to afford such a package.

Let's hope that the "can affords" will step up to help their fellow recruits that "can't afford"

Congratulations to bigjd and Stormwell for seeing it through and hopefully becoming a part of the RAF family 👍

...but Wet Wipes???

bigjd

LAC
Call me cynical if you will, but it reads to me like a short cut to removing essential life skills like going to shops and buying stuff, while at the same time making someone a huge wodge of wedge. Still, I guess that's how the world turns. Personally, I fondly remember spending 40 quid (well, it was 1989) on my kit list, then getting the bus back to my parents and finding that I already had half of the stuff at home!

I get where you are coming from there! As a 35 year old serving cop I am really busy though so this saved me a lot of time! I wish it only cost me 40 quid as well! Just got the stuff through and to be fair it's not bad, there is plenty of stuff in there and of course you are paying a premium but it's for the convenience!

If you have time to go out and pick it all up individually then yeah it's gonna save you a few quid, if like me you are stretched for time (I am still serving with the Police right up until my start date) then it's a godsend!

For me it's an investment to ensure I turn up for my new career as well prepared as I could be. I am of course privileged to be in a position where I can afford it.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Pricey, but it’s not compulsory, and there are a few random things on there that might be hard to come by.

Best of luck for RTS, and at your age I hope make it through injury free.

fourteen2two

Corporal
I don't remember having a huge kit list when I joined back in 71!
We weren't allowed to wear civvies anyway. Issued shirts, ties beret and footwear to wear with denims until our hairy blue battledress was ready!
There were options such as pyjamas and drawers cellular! You didn't have to buy them.
I was ex CCF so took polishing kit brushes etc . Dad was in the RM at the time so he gave me some stuff. Sewing kit in a tobacco tin and a spare iron he had!
Ironing was done on a big table in the block in laundry room.
Most people arrived by train so carrying ironing boards etc would have been very difficult!
Met at Grantham Station by a not very friendly rock cpl and told to get on the big blue Bedford boneshaker bus!
Happy days!

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Just bring a vacuum cleaner.

When you own your own vacuum cleaner, you can get anything you want.