• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Branches and Trades; to be reduced from 68 to 11

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I had a couple of good mates who were GD's. And I never thought of them as being of a lower status. One even applied to be a Rock!
After passing out at Swinderby, myself and several others did six weeks of guard duty before we transferred to trade training.

There were quite a few GD's there running the guardroom amongst other things and to be fair to them, they were a decent bunch of people although one or two were borderline clinically insane.

The way it ended up with GD: they could not go above the rank of SAC. They had to remuster to get promoted. The Cpls and above in Guardrooms, and the DIs at Swinderby/Hereford were never GD (unless remustered), rather RAF Admin (TG10).

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
I seem to remember aircrew being General Duties (Pilot) GD(P) and General Duties (Navigator) GD(N) etc?

Am i correct?