• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Basic training kit list

Just thought I would ask the question (again as I am sure it has been asked many times before).

Does anyone have any tips with regards to kit for Halton?

Any general tips about the 10 week basic training also would be appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

KS

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Just thought I would ask the question (again as I am sure it has been asked many times before).

Does anyone have any tips with regards to kit for Halton?

Any general tips about the 10 week basic training also would be appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

KS

Listen and keep your mouth shut.

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
If I went through again ( December 2000 for me) I'd make sure I'd have a better iron than I did and I'd take my own ironing board. I had a cheap iron that wasn't very good. Vertical steam was a must. Get a decent one. As for ironing boards they never had enough plus 2 douche bags as we found out stole two and claimed them as their own. What the board situation is like now I don't know, but you'll need both items afterwards anyway.

Also Listen in, don't gob off, and I hate myself for saying this teamwork make the dream work. Eg, If someone in your room is great at bulling shoes and your ace at ironing stuff, scratch each other's back etc.

Last edited:

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Good iron, ironing board, a reasonable general level of fitness and a sense of humour.

Playing the Grey Man isn't a bad thing either..............

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
De-luxe list
Bloody good iron
NO pocket tools (at least obvious ones)
Heavy duty resealable plastic bags of various sizes.
Mini-head torch with red filter
Tape measure (it'll become evident why)
Laundry marker
Sharpie
Highlighting pens
Mini Karabiner (or two - and not that cheap ****e from mil stores))
Jet lighter
If you've got one, one of those mini hand held vacuum cleaners
Quickies make up removers
Copper brush
Scrubbing brush
Mini- toileteries
Hints
If youre not doing anything, you should be sleeping
If youre not sleeping, you should be doing something
If you've got nothing to do, someone else does. Help them.
Don't turn up unfit. They'll cream you.

foxOneFive

Corporal
Like in any new environment you walk into. Be very suspicious about the 1st person
on your course who tries to befriend you…..Because he will be a complete throbber! Taken as read

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Enthusiasm and a willingness to learn. The rest will evolve. As per the other posts if you look round the room and can't see a throbber then look in the mirror and react accordingly.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
Having been an RTS Instructor for 5years, there's some great info above. Take note, and you won't go far wrong.

Good luck!

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Take two razors. One for everyday normal use to make sure you are cleanly shaved and showing good personal hygeine.

Take another one for inspecton use. For inspection use, rinse a clean razor under a tap and dry it off, making it look slightly used. The discips hated dirty razors when I went through basic so having a clean spare, with a used look was a good thing when reducing the level of b0ll0cking that you were destined for.

And as for hygeine, here is another golden rule. Do not, sh1t or p!ss into the bogs that that you have bulled, cleaned and polished with your own, unprotected hands. Nor, let anyone else, do the same. Use said hands to threaten, or punch people who can't be ar*ed to walk to someone elses gaff for a dump.

Remember, go to the Naafi for your poos, before you hit the booze.

That's assuming of course, that the rules haven't changed since Swinders 20 million years ago :pDT_Xtremez_15:

Last edited:

MattBombHead

Sergeant
The way j look at it, if you're willing to 'dodge the rules' on something as minor as a dirty razor, can you be trusted when the sh!t hits the fan?

Oh, and a few instructors read this forum, and believe me, it's not hard to work out Recruits that have posted on here 😉

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
The way j look at it, if you're willing to 'dodge the rules' on something as minor as a dirty razor, can you be trusted when the sh!t hits the fan?

Oh, and a few instructors read this forum, and believe me, it's not hard to work out Recruits that have posted on here 

I think you need to get posted back into the real world TBH. There's a massive difference between replacing a razor blade with a new one and the '5h!t hitting the fan'. And nobody ever, ever kept their bedpack complete so they didn't have to make it up every day now did they.............(the most pointless task even by RTS standards).

Facts are you steal every bit of time you can get in order to make your life easier. That's because most people have more important stuff to do especially in the real world. Unless you are going to tell me you clean your razor blade religiously every day with a small brush and bull it until it shines with metal polish???????????????

Now when you pull your head out of your self-righteous behind I'll wish you a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Having been an RTS Instructor for 5years, there's some great info above. Take note, and you won't go far wrong.

Good luck!

Is being the "grey man" still good advice? It certainly was when I went through initial recruit training, but these days is that still the case? The recruits I met on IMLC were far more engaging and confident than I remember being when i went through Swinderby.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
lNow when you pull your head out of your self-righteous behind I'll wish you a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.

So expecting a recruit to adhere to Recruit Orders (Like SROs/ SSROs/ DetROs for example) makes me 'self righteous'?

Standards are there to be maintained. It's what delegates the Military from Civilians.