• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question for Foodies

C

Crabbity Ann

As part of a health kick I recently started trying to make more home made food rather than just heating reaady made stuff. One of my favourite things is curries and stir-fries though.

When I make either of these I only use fresh meat, fresh veg, about a teaspoon of olive oil (or less) and a bunch of herbs and spices like garlic, chilli, cumin etc.

Somebody told me that no matter what, curry is always unhealthy but I don't understand how if I use all fresh, seemingly healthy food? Can somebody explain? The only thing I can think of that I use that possibly might be unhealthy is a couple of stock cubes and a pinch of salt. I don't even use cream or yoghurt or anything like that either.

:pDT_Xtremez_35:

G

gemarriott

tell the health NAZIS to take a hike. Curry is a healthy option if you avoid using buuter/ghi oil and fullfat yoghurt.

I cook a lot of curries myself and like you, always from scratch, using nothing but fresh ingredients because it IS healthier. Compared to the jars you can buy you use nowhere near as much salt, fat or all the preservatives that are loaded in them. So whoever told you otherwise is basically talking cr*p.

If you ever need spices in the future use these:

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/

I use them all the time rather than buying small jars for a load more money.

C

Crabbity Ann

Thank-you both for your replies. Thanks for the link too, think I will be using that next time I need to stock up on spices :pDT_Xtremez_30:

It was actually a PTI that told me that which is why I thought it must be true 'cause they know all about food and nutrition etc but just couldn't get my head around how it could be true!

G

gemarriott

In fairness to the mirror tech if he was talking about curry as being the stuff you get from the local take away swimming in grease he was probably right however a good well made fresh curry can be all but fat free.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
In fairness to the mirror tech if he was talking about curry as being the stuff you get from the local take away swimming in grease he was probably right however a good well made fresh curry can be all but fat free.

Gem, please would you tell me some of the recipes you started doing the "shrinking Armourer" act? I rather think I'm going to have to do it myself, subject to all the blood tests my Doc has ordered. (Serious request).
Personally I'm not a great curry eater (gut trouble, ulcers, etc..).

S

scaleywife

The only way in which the recipe you have used could be considered unhealthy is the amount of salt it contains. Most stock cubes contain vast amounts of the stuff.

My suggestion would be to omit the pinch of salt, or even better, as most of us are auto-condimentors anyway, omit the stock cube and the salt and use one of the new stock jelly thingymajigs or fresh stock which contains much less sodium.

I personally barely use salt in cooking (with the obvious exception of Souvla!) as I prefer to season at the end.

firestorm

Warrant Officer
Crabbity Ann;339623 Somebody told me that no matter what said:
always[/I] unhealthy but I don't understand how if I use all fresh, seemingly healthy food?

:pDT_Xtremez_35:

That person is a clueless tw@t.

Indeed said mirror tech was full of crap, Chilli is actually a metabolism accelerant and can aid weight loss. And not just from giving you a flaming @rsehole either :pDT_Xtremez_14: