• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Putting new cable on an extension lead

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I. I'm looking to extend a 6way extension lead. What cable do I need to replace the old cable

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
One with a higher rating than the fuse, for what it costs get the best you can afford.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Looking at ones available online they have a 3120 watt rating which works out at 13 amps and that is the fuse rating.

You can buy them for about £10 so messing about putting new cable on may be false economy.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Looking at ones available online they have a 3120 watt rating which works out at 13 amps and that is the fuse rating. You can buy them for about £10 so messing about putting new cable on may be false economy.
ok. I'm putting the tv and sound bar on the chimney breast and the sky box , Amazon box in the chimney breast. It's about 4metres to the wall socket

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
Have you considered a master/slave extension socket? You plug the television into the master and peripherals into the slave sockets. TV on, all the rest fire up. TV off, they all go to sleep. Fairy magic. :pDT_Xtremez_17:

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Have you considered a master/slave extension socket? You plug the television into the master and peripherals into the slave sockets. TV on, all the rest fire up. TV off, they all go to sleep. Fairy magic. :pDT_Xtremez_17:

Is that off at the TV or off at the socket?

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
looks good, now to find one with a 3-4 meter length

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
Is that off at the TV or off at the socket?

Plug the extension lead into the wall socket. Plug the TV into the 'master' socket, and all the peripherals, e.g. Sky, DVD player, etc. into the 'slave' sockets. When you turn the TV off with the control zapper thingy all the other bits 'n' bobs follow suit, and vice versa. I use a setup similar to this one to power my saw and associated dust extractor. Speak nicely to a certified sparky and they'll soon put a longer supply lead on for you.

https://www.worldofelectricals.co.u...lave-Surge-Ext-Lead-with-Tel-&-USB/p/47459096

Last edited:

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Plug the extension lead into the wall socket. Plug the TV into the 'master' socket, and all the peripherals, e.g. Sky, DVD player, etc. into the 'slave' sockets. When you turn the TV off with the control zapper thingy all the other bits 'n' bobs follow suit, and vice versa. I use a setup similar to this one to power my saw and associated dust extractor. Speak nicely to a certified sparky and they'll soon put a longer supply lead on for you.

https://www.worldofelectricals.co.u...lave-Surge-Ext-Lead-with-Tel-&-USB/p/47459096

That isn;t very helpful if you have a tuner/recorder that you use in the quiet hours.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
I'd suggest you get a suitable length of 2.5mm round mains cable and wire that up.
Yes, it's a bit big, but it's also hardier and domestic accidents can and do happen.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I'd suggest you get a suitable length of 2.5mm round mains cable and wire that up.
Yes, it's a bit big, but it's also hardier and domestic accidents can and do happen.
I know that cable comes in different ratings. Which one would I need

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts

Most cable in the UK is sold on the wire size.

13 amp fused plugs normally attach to 3x 1.5mm cable.

As the old man Ex Bay has suggested 3x 2.5mm will do the job quite comfortably.

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant

Don't get muddled up between 'cable' and 'flex'. Cable is the stuff that connects up your ring main whereas flex is the bit that runs from the socket to the appliance. Too small, and it'll get hot/very hot. Too big, and you won't get it through grommets and fixings on the extension lead and 13 amp plug, etc. If you're not 100% sure, you must let a qualified leckie do it. Pedants hat off.

Flex is available in a range of sizes. Check the table to see the size you need for different appliance ratings.

Appliance rating Flex size
700W 0.5mm2
1.4kW 0.75mm2
2.3kW 1.0mm2
3kW 1.25/1.5mm2

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Don't get muddled up between 'cable' and 'flex'. Cable is the stuff that connects up your ring main whereas flex is the bit that runs from the socket to the appliance. Too small, and it'll get hot/very hot. Too big, and you won't get it through grommets and fixings on the extension lead and 13 amp plug, etc. If you're not 100% sure, you must let a qualified leckie do it. Pedants hat off.

Flex is available in a range of sizes. Check the table to see the size you need for different appliance ratings.

Appliance rating Flex size
700W 0.5mm2
1.4kW 0.75mm2
2.3kW 1.0mm2
3kW 1.25/1.5mm2
That's what I was trying to get at. I've noticed that flex comes in different types

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
That's what I was trying to get at. I've noticed that flex comes in different types

Yes, for indoor applications you'll just need the regular plastic sheathed stuff. Incidentally you can get it in different colours to suit your decor. At 'Fuse Mansions I've used some 'antique gold' which blends in nicely with the colour of the carpet.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Yes, for indoor applications you'll just need the regular plastic sheathed stuff. Incidentally you can get it in different colours to suit your decor. At 'Fuse Mansions I've used some 'antique gold' which blends in nicely with the colour of the carpet.
Just one last question.
I will be running the following from the extension
Fiat screen tv
Sky box
Amazon box
Soundbar

What rating flex would I need

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
Just one last question.
I will be running the following from the extension
Fiat screen tv
Sky box
Amazon box
Soundbar

What rating flex would I need

Look for the technical data label on each appliance. It'll give you voltage, frequency, and wattage. Ball park figures, TV 150W, Sky box 45W, Soundbar+woofer 80W+160W, etc. Add up the wattages. I don't think you'll get anywhere near the top end of 3000W (3kW) for 1.5mm2 flex.

If you do go for my suggestion of the Master/Slave extension, you'll need to plug the Sky box into one of 'on all the time' sockets as Sky sends out software updates usually at 2 am.