• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pubs with good food and good beer

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Another good read in Ted and Mrs Ted's excellent adventure. You seem to have visited most of the former eastern bloc capital cities. Who would have thought it when we was in RAFG. Anyway how would you rate them in order.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Tedlooney

Sergeant
Another good read in Ted and Mrs Ted's excellent adventure. You seem to have visited most of the former eastern bloc capital cities. Who would have thought it when we was in RAFG. Anyway how would you rate them in order.

Cheers Justin. No, like you I would never have thought it possible to visit the Eastern Bloc when I was in RAFG. I still get a thrill when I occasionally see former Soviet aircraft at various former Eastern Bloc airports, my best spot was a TU22M at Riga airport a while ago although I believe it wasn't in flying condition at the time. It shows how much things have changed as there was a USAF C5 Galaxy at Sofia airport last week.

How would I rate them? That's a really difficult question. I'm not sure I could rate them in order because I like different places for different reasons.

If we are just looking at Eastern Europe then Prague is special place for us. Although we had visited many countries before, following a problem with my health in 2007 Mrs Ted and I decided to visit every country in Europe. Prague was the first of those on our list. We completed the mission last year when we went to Georgia and Armenia. That is unless you include the various former Soviet republics ending in stan, in that case the mission isn't complete although I would argue that they are in Asia rather than Europe. Similarly we visited Budapest a few months after Prague and that was our first time travelling independently so that was special.

St Petersburg, Budapest, Prague and Gdansk are very beautiful and interesting cities with lots of touristy things to do.

For craft beer, many places are quickly improving on this front but I’d say Poland and Lithuania are good places to visit. Czech beer is generally good too.

I enjoyed Kosovo and Bosnia because of the very slight air of danger although everyone was pleasant towards us apart from a bunch of locals in Bosnia begging aggressively. It’s strange that not long ago various parts of the Balkans were at war and there still appears to be some emnity yet almost everyone we meet in whatever part of the Balkans are generally friendly people and like to talk about the same things.

For cheapness it’s hard to beat Bulgaria, Romania, Georgia and Serbia although lots of other countries are quite cheap compared to the UK.

The strangest place we visited was Transnistria, a breakaway region of Moldova made up of mainly ethnic Russians who wish to return to Soviet times and have claimed independence following a civil war with Moldova from 1990-92. Lots of remnants of the Soviet era still exist there including a secret police and statues of Lenin. Belarus was also a bit strange as it’s the last dictatorship in Europe and Police were everywhere. Hardly anyone spoke English except for a few young students so it was good fun getting about and trying to communicate.

We now tend to look at where we can go that we think might be good and we can get there with cheap flights as long as the take off and landing times are reasonable.

Tedlooney

Sergeant
I've travelled to Paphos loads of times and although I have favourite bars they usually only sell Keo and Leon plus Guiness, Carlsberg etc, however, on my latest visit to Paphos last week I found a new bar called Hogshead that opened last year just behind the tourist info office on Poseidonos Avenue. It had 14 taps of mainly mainstream lager and bitter but among them were two from Cyprus craft brewer Aphrodite's Rock, Lian Shee, a really good Irish dark ale and Yorkshire Rose bitter. It was worth calling in for those two beers. Lots of seating inside and out plus a log fire (it was chilly). The staff were good and although we didn't eat there the food looked good. Various tellys with sports on. The only downside was the clique of gobby southerners spouting bullsh1t who were in the bar every time we called in.

Another place I visited for the first time was the Old Fishing Shack on Tefkrou St. This has indoor and outdoor space plus a pub cat which is always a bonus. There was a massive range of bottled beer including some vintage and rare beers. The Billy-Bob Thornton lookalikey barman asked what type of beer I liked then he chose what beer I got. It was a good choice too. The place looked a bit dusty but the beer was good and the people were friendly.

Amongst the Keo/Leon bars probably the one I like best is the Moorings on Poseidonos Avenue towards the harbour end. The staff are great as is the food and I love the Cyprus coffee there. Lots of indoor and outdoor seating and it has a great view of the harbour, a good place to sit and people watch.

gray

Sergeant
I've travelled to Paphos loads of times and although I have favourite bars they usually only sell Keo and Leon plus Guiness, Carlsberg etc, however, on my latest visit to Paphos last week ........

Thanks Ted. Heading there tomorrow for a lads weekend away ! :)

Tedlooney

Sergeant
Thanks Ted. Heading there tomorrow for a lads weekend away ! :)

Enjoy! If you can get transport the Aphrodite's Rock brewery might be worth a visit, it's just off Polis Road in Tsada. I'm always driver when we visit so can't have a drink at the brewery tap.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Ted when you go on your jollies do you book flights first or accommodation.

Tedlooney

Sergeant
Ted when you go on your jollies do you book flights first or accommodation.

We usually set a window of a couple of weeks, check the prices for flights then have a quick look at accommodation to give us a general idea of hotel prices. We can then see which gives us the best value for flights+hotel within those weeks. Once we decide when we're going we always book the flights first then spend a bit more time looking for the best accommodation.

Tedlooney

Sergeant
Mrs Ted and I regularly spend a full day or two in Bury, Lancashire. Mrs Ted likes to go around the shops and the market or sometimes has a massage at a local health club. After that we will visit a few bars and have a nice meal. Even though we only live half a dozen or so stops away on the tram, we usually stay at the Premier Inn so there's no need to rush and it makes it feel a bit like we're on a holiday and more relaxing.

We were there for two days last week and here are a few bars I really like. Dolliz is on stall 45 on the indoor market, I couldn’t believe it, a craft beer market stall. It’s a tiny bar but there are three draft craft beers and lots of local bottled beers as well as some mainstream bottled lagers and ciders. There are a couple of tables and a few bar stools. The staff and the people who visit are friendly and talkative. Last week an ex-shiney was in there and we had a nice chat.

The Clarence, 2 Silver Street. A very good pub with a large range of craft and continental beer. Some of the beer is brewed in the cellar but they will also soon be brewing off site at the former Outstanding brewery. The ground floor has the bar and a couple of rooms, one with log fire. The bar staff are friendly and will let you taste the beer before you buy. Upstairs is the restaurant which serves really tasty, wholesome food. Prices in the restaurant are reasonable.

Just round the corner from the Clarence is the Automatic Café on Market Street, (I believe that the two bars are owned by the same people). The Automatic has a large room with booths and tables, there is a long bar with a large range of craft and continental beer. If you choose a lager it’s served in a frosty glass taken from the freezer which I think is a nice touch. The food is very good too, the menu is different from the Clarence but is equally as good and just as reasonably priced. There is also a smaller room with its own bar which is a bit cosier than the large room. There is also some outside space but no-one was brave enough to sit out last week.

The Trackside, platform 1, Bury Bolton Street station. I’ve reviewed this bar before but it’s been updated since then. The inside of the bar has been remodelled and there is quite a bit more seating than before but I think it’s lost a bit of Character in the process. Last week the atmosphere was a bit flat but there was still a bit of decorating going on and the steam trains were on their winter break so not a lot of people in. The kitchen hadn’t been commissioned so no food was available. There was still a great range of draft craft beer and loads in bottles including quite a few German brews (I got some Hofbrau to take home). The staff are nice and the people who visit the bar are usually friendly and like to chat. There are some wooden tables and benches outside on the platform. It will be good to go back when the railway is running and more people are in the bar.

An offy worth a mention is Kwoff, 8 Silver Street. As well as the wine and spirits there is also a large range of craft beer so I purchased a few to take home.

Tedlooney

Sergeant
A couple of weeks ago I couldn't believe I found a bar on Bury indoor market but yesterday I was at another bar on an indoor market in the Manchester Arndale. The Microbar is a great little bar, four local cask beers and about five keg continental beers on draft plus loads of UK and foreign beers in bottles and tins. The barman was great, he got a new beer in and was keen to let all the customers have a taste. This is a really friendly bar, loads of people willing to chat.

Tedlooney

Sergeant
Czech Republic part 1. Mrs Ted and I are back from a visit to the Czech Republic where even commercially brewed beer is excellent and while I enjoyed a few I was also looking for local and craft beers, much of which is unfiltered and unpasteurised. Here’s some places I liked in Prague.

U Medvídků, Na Perštýně 345/7. This is a hotel, brewery and restaurant. We were worried when we first entered the restaurant as everyone seemed to be smoking and eating at the same time, fortunately there is a non-smokers room behind this. Both rooms are quite large and beer hall style. The draft beer of offer is Budvar light and dark, more bottled beer from the hotel brewery is available (also to take out), I purchased two to take back to base and they were excellent. There is a large menu with a good traditional Czech section. I had smoked pork knee and it was very good. Staff were also good and attentive.

Pivovar U Tří Růží, Husova 232/10. Housed in a fine old building there are two floors in beer hall style with the brew house on the ground floor. Five of their own draft beers are available, I tried the stout, Vienna red and the lager, all very good. A decent menu, again I had traditional Czech food and it was very good. The staff were nice.

Pivovar Národní, Národní 8. A beer hall style establishment with 4 of their own draft beers of which I tried three, all were really good. The food was very tasty and good portions. There was another room at the back and it looked like there were more tables upstairs. The staff were good and there was beer available to take away.

První Novoměstský, Vodičkova 682/2. The restaurant is down a shopping arcade. There are two rooms, in one there are booths and tables along with the brewing kettles which were in use while we were there and it was great to see the brewer at work. The other room has long tables in beer hall style. Again, I opted for Czech food and it was delicious as was the beer, they have a light and a dark. They also do takeaway beer and sell other beer related items. The staff were nice. The only thing is they run brewery tours through the evening and those dining at tables near the brewing equipment have people standing over them during the tour. Fortunately, we were in a booth away from the tour. Apart from that were liked it here.

Fat Cat,Karlova 44. This wasn’t on my list of bars to visit, we found it while walking through the old town and decided to call in for some lunch. While the building is an old town classic, inside is modern and tasteful. There is a small bar area with a few table and some high tables and stools, through the back is a large room with another bar, it looked like there were more rooms beyond. 7 local draft beers are available including their own Fat Cat beer brewed on site. I only had the Fat Cat and it was excellent. The food was classic Czech with a modern twist, I had a delicious sausage to go with my beer. The staff were really good and really friendly. As it’s in a touristy area prices are a little bit higher but worth it. We really liked this bar. Beer is also available in bottles to take out.

U Supa, Celetná 563/22 again in the most touristy area so is a bit more expensive. Two large kettles dominate the bar area but there’s more space at the back. Three of their own beers were on offer, I tried the light and the semi-dark, both were very good. There is a large food menu but we didn’t eat here. The staff were nice but service was a bit slow.

Pivo a Párek, Korunní 105. This is another bar that wasn’t on our list, as we walked past we thought it was a beer shop so we popped in for a look. Down some stairs we found ourselves in a tiny bar with a tall table in the middle, no chairs or stools but you could either lean on the bar or table. Although it was small the bar had 7 local draft beers on offer and along one wall of the bar there were several fridges containing a wide range of bottled local beer. We later found a small room at the back where you could sit down but we stayed at the bar. The name of the bar means beer and sausage and sausage was the only food available. We spent a couple of hours tasting great beer and having a wonderful conversation with the two bar staff who were keen to tell us about the Czech Republic and were curious about England. Obviously I purchased a couple of bottles to taste back at base. This was our favourite non-food bar, good beer and conversation, just the job.

Vinohradský Pivovar, Korunní 2506/10. The bar is modern inside and has two rooms, one on the ground floor and one in the cellar. Along the inside wall there are a number of giant portholes where you can see into the brewery. They had four beers, a light, dark, IPA and a weiss, I tried all but the weiss and they were very good, especially the IPA. There was a good food menu and we had lunch here, I had a taste of Mrs Ted’s potato and sausage soup and it was delicious. The staff were nice here, a friendly place.

BeerGeek, Vinohradská 988/62. This bar was a bit dingy inside but it had a great beer selection, about 30 draft beers from around the world including a decent selection from the Czech Republic. I got a taster tray of 5 different Czech beers and they were very good. Unfortunately the place was full of loud septics talking sh!te so we didn’t stay long.

A commerical 0.5l beer in a bar about £1.20, a 0.5l craft beer from about £1.35, a local beer in the minimarket from about 50p. A meal for two with drinks in a brewpub about £32. Public transport in Prague is excellent and cheap

Tedlooney

Sergeant
Czech Republic Part 2. So while we were in the Czech Republic we thought it a good idea to visit the home of pale lager, Pilsen. We took the train from Prague, it took about an hour and a half and we decided to splash and go first class which was about 12 quid each for a return ticket. We spent a very rainy day shopping in the morning then at lunchtime we sought out a couple of brewpubs.

U Pašáka, Poděbradova 12. There is a smallish bar area where there is also a working brewery. Through doors to one side there are two dining rooms, one for smokers and a less smelly one for normal people. The non-smokers dining area also has a bar. There are two draft beers on offer, a light and a semi dark, both very good. I had a delicious sausage with some coleslaw and it was scrumptious. As well as the .3l and .5l glasses, you could also get a 3 or 5 litre “giraffe” or, if you are really thirsty, various barrels up to 50 litres! Very nice staff here.

Beer Factory, Dominikánská 8. A very modern interior to this bar and a youngish clientele. 12 draft beers were available, mostly brewed on site but also a couple of Belgian beers. Bottled Czech and other beers were also on offer. Although we didn’t eat here the food looked and smelled good and was well presented in a modern style. The young bar staff were a bit inattentive and kept messing about behind the bar rather than look after customers, other than that this bar was very good.

Soukromý Pivovar Groll, Truhlářská 2397/10. This is a brewery, hotel, conference centre and bar housed in a large old complex hidden away behind a multi-storey car park. We only had a short time here as we had to catch the train back to Prague. When we went into the bar it felt like the local shop in Royston Vasey, the few customers all stopped talking and looked at us as we went in. The old barman looked a bit miserable at first and couldn’t speak English but we got by fine in German and once we started communicating he cheered up and was a nice guy. The beer I had was good but we had to shoot off for the train. On the way to the station Mrs Ted spotted a large animal on the river bank, at first we thought it was a beaver but looking closer it was a coypu. I spent a little bit too long taking photos of it and we had to dash for the train not realising that building work was going on around the pedestrian entrance to the station. The diversion sign took us to another diversion sign which, in turn, took us back to the first one, after a bit of a panic and asking a local where the station entrance was we made it onto the train with two minutes to spare.

Prague and Pilsen are great places to visit. Last time we went to Prague was about 10 years ago but it seems that the number of tourists has grown tremendously since then which, I think, spoils it a bit but I’d still recommend it as a great place to visit.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Unfiltered = never consumed.

Pasteurised = you have seen it pass by.

Tedlooney

Sergeant
What difference does unfiltered and unpasteurised make.

Filtering and pasteurization can alter the flavour of a beer. Pasteurization gives beer a longer shelf life which is probably good for mass produced beer. A fully filtered clear beer may look nice in the glass but the filtering process might also remove some good characteristics. Many craft brewers want to serve fresh, tasty beer so the current trend is for unfiltered and unpasteurised.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
A fully filtered clear beer may look nice in the glass but the filtering process might also remove some good characteristics. Many craft brewers want to serve fresh, tasty beer so the current trend is for unfiltered and unpasteurised.

I tried an unfiltered, unpasteurised, brewed on the premises pilsner today when I took the Mrs out for Sunday lunch (The lucky lass) and you are right, the taste was completely different than a normal, bottled pilsner. Far more flavoursome and aromatic than I first expected.

Cracking reviews TL, I've enjoyed reading them over the years.

::D:

Tedlooney

Sergeant
Mrs Ted and I are back in Paphos, Cyprus and I'm pleased to have found a new pub worth a mention​. It's the Wooden Pub, Poseidonis Avenue, it's in a small square off the main drag just near Pizza Express. A great little pub with a small amount of inside seating (half a dozen stools at the bar), the rest is outside in the square, about eight tables. Each table has a game to play with, doms, skittles, connect 4, mini foozball etc. The bar has the full range of Aphrodite's Rock beer, at the moment it's bottled but there will be draft later in the season. There is also a good range of craft cider plus a few draft eurolagers, Keo, Becks etc. There's no food available. The owner and the bar staff are great, really friendly as are a lot of the customers we have met.

An update on Aphrodite's Rock brewery, now if you have no transport or want to have a few beers without having to drive you can get the bus from Paphos to Tsada, from there ring the brewery and they'll pick you up. I also think if you book a group tour of the brewery and the meal they'll pick you up from your hotel but it needs to be arranged with them. We went up to Tsada to get some bottles to take home, the setting is good and although we didn't eat the food looks tremendous.

A Keo type bar I forgot to mention in my last Paphos review is the Keg and Barrel on Poseidonis Avenue behind the tourist information office. This is the home of the Paphos Tigers rugby club and there's live rugby and footy on the telly. The staff are great and the food is delicious with good portions, the South African boerewors sausage has to be my favourite dish there. It's a very friendly pub.

Tedlooney

Sergeant
Tivat, Montenegro! The Black Sheep Pub on Ribarski St has a good selection of local and imported beer including two ranges of craft beer, one from Montengro called Fabrika and one from Serbia called Kabinet. Both have four beers in the range and I tried 3 from each range. Both Porters were great plus a red ale from Fabirika, the others were the modern citrussy style beers but were still ok. Food was pretty good too, there was a beer snacks menu and a main menu with mainly pasta, burgers and food from the grill. From the main I had some delicious ribs one night and Mrs Ted had a gourmet style burger. From the beer snacks menu one lunchtime we had beer strips which were a bit like a very thin and crispy pizza base with a cheese, tomato and bacon topping, I'm not really a big fan of pizza but the beer strips were great. Staff were friendly but service could be a bit slow. Negatives were that smoking was allowed inside and there was no outside space to sit in.

Ponta Veranda on Seljanovo Obala is a family run Balkan Grill. The only beer available is the local Nikciscko and they have the lager and the dark, not a great range but the best thing here is the food. Inside is just the takeaway counter and there are half a dozen or so tables outside. The food was the best we had all holiday, indeed, we ate here more than once it was so good. All of the food is fresh and delicious, the flat bread is made on site and arrives at the table still warm. The family who run the grill have been there five generations and they are very friendly and welcoming. The people who ate there included some regulars who were also friendly.

Tivat has gone up market with a new super yacht marina called Porto Montenegro, complete with designer shops and up market cafes, a beer here could cost around 2.50 euros for a .33l, out of the marina a beer could be around 2 euros for a .5l. Craft beer in the Black Sheep between 2.50 - 3.50 for a .33l. A .5l local beer in the shop was about 1 euro. A good meal with drinks was about 15 euros each.

Tedlooney

Sergeant
Mrs Ted and I are going to Leicester to watch Borussia Mönchengladbach play Leicester City in a pre-season friendly. I have never been to Leicester before so can any fellow goaters suggest a good pub/restaurant to spend a couple of hours and have dinner before the game? My preference is steak or European cuisine.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
If you are on Facebook get in touch with Alex Pollock, he is always out and about drinking and eating in Leicester.

>> Alex <<