• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pubs with good food and good beer

G

gemarriott

Manvers Arms Rotherham

Manvers Arms Rotherham

Manvers Arms in Adwick near Wath.

Good choice of beers and lagers with an excellent carvery Sunday lunch, as good as any I have had.

Cost around £10-£12 per head for two courses and a couple of pints.

E

Edzar

Spreadeagle, Barton Bendish

Spreadeagle, Barton Bendish

For those around Marham there's a pub a 10 minute taxi trip away in Barton Bendish called the Spreadeagle.

Excellent Sunday carvery and best to book a table as it gets very busy.

Oh,and it has Bitburger on draught:pDT_Xtremez_30:

The crown in Albrighton for Sunday Lunch: 2 Sunday roasts, 1 fish and chips and a kiddies lasagne. just shy of £17.00. I have been told the Bell in Tong on the A41 does a good carvery on Sundays but have not been myself.

Can't remember the name of the pub, but it's on the road towards Aylesbury on the right as you leave Wendover. Good selection of Ale and good Thai food.

Plumber

Flight Sergeant
The Olive Branch in Clipsham. Great food and beer.
The Jackson Stops in Stretton. Very good food and hosts the world nurdling champs every year.
The Fat Cat in Norwich. More real ale than you can shake a stick at.
The Murderer's Norwich. Great all round pub.
The Walnut Tree Shades in Norwich. Just a favourite of mine.

M

monobrow

For those around Marham there's a pub a 10 minute taxi trip away in Barton Bendish called the Spreadeagle.
Always heard great things about the Spreadeagle. Never ventured to it mind.

On the A10 though between Downham and Kings Lynn is the Andel Lodge. Great little family owned place and the food is excellent! Wobbly on tap ::D:

Last edited:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
White Hart Shifnal (Near Cosford) been Shropshire Camra pub of the year loads of times and good lunchtime food, good kiddie friendly beer garden as well. You pay for your drinks kids drinks are free. Top watering hole no juke box, no pool table, just good atmosphere and good pint. I have been known to frequent the place on occasion.

M

mad_mo

If ever in London, My personal choices are :

The Red Lion, Waverton Street W1, just to the back of the Saudi Embassy. A lovley old pub with good real ales. Its in the heart of Mayfair but dont let the area think it costs a bomb for a pint, far from it.

Also, the Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, 145 Fleet Street. Proper coal fire places and a pub has been recorded on the site since 1538. It very dark and dank but you wont come across many pubs like this in the UK. A Samuel Smiths Establishment.

If your in the New Forest Direction, The Royal Oak at Hilltop, just outside Beaulieu. Im a regular in there! :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Im sure Yossarian can recommended a few more in the Capital.

Last edited:

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
Never had a bad meal in the Three Crowns at Brinkworth, between Lyneham and Swindon (turn left at the Prince of Wales roundabout at the top of Bassett if heading away from lyneham, then just keep going). Always gets rather busy as well so best get there early.

I will come out with more now I have a good excuse for sampling different pubs at will.

Dunsplooshing,

Have eaten at the pub in question, not bad food but can't comment on the carvery though.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
The Olive Branch in Clipsham. Great food and beer.
The Jackson Stops in Stretton. Very good food and hosts the world nurdling champs every year.
The Fat Cat in Norwich. More real ale than you can shake a stick at.
The Murderer's Norwich. Great all round pub.
The Walnut Tree Shades in Norwich. Just a favourite of mine.

Try the Kings Head on Magdelen Street, just up from Anglia Square, not a lecky pump in sight, no music just real ale of every discription including Belgium and half the price of the Belgium Monk

shettie

Flight Sergeant
Got to agree with the Olive Branch - good food - not too fancy - in a great relaxed atmosphere!, As for a good real ale pub - The Grainstore - Oakham, seems to have gone a bit upmarket recently, not quitea s spit and sawdust as it used to be - but superb beer!

B

Bill Bones

Old Blackfriars, the Castlegate in Aberdeen has a good selection of beers, with Deuchars IPA on tap. Also serves home cooked traditional Scottish foods.

The Athletic Arms, know to one and all as "The Diggers" (theres a kirkyard nearby) in Edinburgh is prob the best pint in Scotland. Caledonian breweries 80/-. Look out for the swans in the nearby canal, word has it the brewery there has to keep replacing them.

W

wgaf

The Blacksmiths Arms on the Isle of Wight. Just out of Carisbrooke going towards Calbourne and Freshwater. Very good food and the best pint of cider anywhere on the Island! (owned by a mate of mine.)
Riffs Bar in Hook, in between Wootton Bassett and Lydiard Millicent. Great live music, won the best music pub of the year 2 years running now.
Lion Quays hotel, Oswestry. Everything about the place is awesome. Not cheap but well worth it.
Peterborough Arms, Dauntsey Banks near Lyneham. Fantastic dog friendly pub with great beer and very good food.

P

pie sandwich

Dam it!! wheres the real wgaf, I have to agree the P'borough arms is a very nice place to go for a pint and some scoff. I doubt they let the likes of you in there::p:

I ve never been in riff's bar mainly due to the fact it looks like a dive from the outside.

Goatherdingsplitter

Rebel without a clue
White Hart Shifnal (Near Cosford) been Shropshire Camra pub of the year loads of times and good lunchtime food, good kiddie friendly beer garden as well. You pay for your drinks kids drinks are free. Top watering hole no juke box, no pool table, just good atmosphere and good pint. I have been known to frequent the place on occasion.

I can see why!!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

The Shepherds Hut in Ewelme, at the Benson Village end of the road that separates the secret heli base in Oxford , does excellent home cooked food, and a decent pint as well. Give it a try, about 10 mins from the M40 Junct 6.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

fileeth

Corporal
The Olde Royal Ship in Luckington, Wiltshire (on the west side of malmesbury between Sherston and Acton Turville on the B4040) - top notch food and Inchs cider:pDT_Xtremez_30: