• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pubs with good food and good beer

fatal

Corporal
double header here

the Goat at frognall just north of market deeping - wobbly on draught

waterside garden centre nr baston has a little adnams shop flogging 5ltr tins/mini barrels of Bitburger for 14.99

Tedlooney

Sergeant
St Petersburg, Russia. I managed to find 3 brew pubs during my long weekend visit, Tinkoff at 7, Kazanskaya Ulitsa, they served 4 of their own draft beers. Metropole at 22 Sadovaya Ulitsa where they had 5 draft and numerous of their own bottled beers. Finally, Baltika at 3/5 Bol’shaya Morskaya, this was a disappointment with only one draft beer. Unfortunately the best food I could find in the city was ok, I didn't have any food I considered to be good or excellent during my stay. A mention should go to Mollie's Irish Pub on Rubinshtyna, a good variety of English, Scottish and German beers (only 2 Irish though).

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
St Petersburg, Russia. I managed to find 3 brew pubs during my long weekend visit, Tinkoff at 7, Kazanskaya Ulitsa, they served 4 of their own draft beers. Metropole at 22 Sadovaya Ulitsa where they had 5 draft and numerous of their own bottled beers. Finally, Baltika at 3/5 Bol’shaya Morskaya, this was a disappointment with only one draft beer. Unfortunately the best food I could find in the city was ok, I didn't have any food I considered to be good or excellent during my stay. A mention should go to Mollie's Irish Pub on Rubinshtyna, a good variety of English, Scottish and German beers (only 2 Irish though).

What's the prices like.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Tedlooney

Sergeant
What's the prices like.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

I thought it was expensive, especially when compared to other countries in Eastern Europe. When we first got there we bought a can of deodorant, a small can of hairspray for Mrs Ted, a small tube of toothpaste and a bottle of mouthwash and it came to about 15 quid. We had to go to the chemist for that as none of the local mini-markets sold toiletries

We were in the touristy area around Nevsky Prospekt and the Hermitage. In the brewpubs half a litre of beer was around 4-5 quid. Local beer in a bar was around £3 upwards, imported beer was more expensive. One of the bottled beers I had was about £7.

The cheapest meal we had in a restaurant was about £45 for both of us but it wasn’t a particularly good meal. A burger and chips in a bar 8-9 quid, a cheese sandwich about £4. The city tour bus was £10 each for a 24 hr ticket, the jetboat to Peterhof (return ticket) was the same price.

I'm sure away from the tourist areas things would be cheaper. Despite the poor food, St Petersburg is one of the best places I've been to. It's well worth a visit.

Last edited:

Tedlooney

Sergeant
Two good brewery pubs in Dresden - Brauhaus am Waldschlossen (Am Brauhaus, 8) and Watzke Brauhaus (Kotzschenbroder Strasse, 1). Both had good food and beer and the atmosphere at both was really good. They both have beer gardens and the Waldschlossen has a kid's play area. There is also an Augustiner beerhall near the Frauenkirche, the food and beer were great but some of the staff were miserable fcukers, worth a visit though.

Good brewery pub with in Hamburg - Groninger Privatbrauerei on Willy-Brandt Strasse. Good food and beer. It's in a massive cellar but no beer garden. I also visited Hofbrauhaus an der Alster (Esplanade, 8), which was ok but not brilliant. If you fancy something other than pilsner or dunkel then the Kolsch and Altbierhaus (Valentinskamp, 89) makes a nice change. I didn't try the food but the beer was good and the staff were nice.

engchimp

LAC
Another good couple near(ish) Marham are "The Wildfowler" in Terrington St Clement and "The pub on the Green" in North Wooton.

Keyser Söze

Corporal
If ever you are in N Wales, try:

We Three Loggerheads in Loggerheads

Plas Hafod Hotel in Gwynymynydd

Glas Fryn in Mold

Pantyrochyn near Wrexham

The Corn Mill in Llangollen

The Rainbow Inn near Cadole

The Boat Inn in Erbistock, NOT CHEAP!!!

The Cross Foxes in Erbistock

The Boat is an excellent pub especially in the summer sitting next to the river

You will not beat this one: (7 real ales & food)
Bridge End Inn - Ruabon, Wrexham

next time I'm visiting my M&D I shall pop in

Tedlooney

Sergeant
One of the few decent bars in Venice is the Blues Cafe, Sestiere Dorsoduro 3778. Luckily we stumbled across this bar on one of our walks. They had a good range of draught beer including Augustiner Oktoberfest, Sierra Nevada Brown Ale, Amacord Grandisca, Guiness and a German dark beer (can't remember which). Also a good range of wines and cocktails. Free wifi, footy on Sky Sports and decent background music. The staff were great. The food looked good but we ate nearer to the hotel.

Tedlooney

Sergeant
On a recent trip to Antwerp I visited the best bar ever, Kulminator at Vleminckveld 32. Some regard this bar as the best in the world. It looks a bit scruffy and dusty and the owners are a bit eccentric but the beer choice is unbelievable. There's a beer menu with page after page of beer on offer, some dating back to the 70s. The oldest I had was from '78, a St Sixtus Ale and the most expensive I tried was a 1990 Chimay at 21 Euros(special birthday treat). Prices for most of the beers though was very reasonable. Most of the customers were friendly and happy to chat. It's only a small place so getting a seat can be a struggle but we got in early. This is a must visit bar for any beer hunters out there. Indeed, Antwerp is a great place for beer, most bars having a good selection.

Studley dangerfcuk

Flight Sergeant
I can talk from personal experience that the Eagle Vaults in Witney is excellent. Under new management, Sky Sports, cheap drinks on Mon/Tues all day/Thurs after 5pm and when the top 4 Premiership Teams/Channel 4 horse racing are playing/is on. Meal deals on every day.
Most of the deals are better than Wetherspoons. I have never had a bad meal or drink to date. Great atmosphere and the new Landlady is sound.
Here is the FB page: http://www.facebook.com/officialeaglevaults

Last edited:

Tedlooney

Sergeant
Minsk, Belarus. I found a couple of decent bars in Minsk recently.The first is a brew pub, Rakovsky Brovar (Vitebskaya, 10). It's a massive place, quite modern but made to look old. I tried 2 of their own beers, a black beer and an unfiltered Pilsner style. The food and beer were quite good but expensive compared to local bars. The second is a German style Bier Keller, imaginatively called Bier Keller (Voyskovoy, 12). It's actually in a cellar of an apartment block and has about 10 German beers on draft and many more bottled. It also has a few Belgian beers but only one from Belarus and that's not on draft. This bar has a good atmosphere and the German theme is really well done, the waitresses are all in German costume. The beer and food (mainly German cuisine) were very good but again, more expensive than local bars. When I say expensive it's about £3.20 for a half litre as opposed to about £1.60 for the local beer.

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
'The Potting Shed Pub,' on the A429 three miles from Kemble on the Gloucestershire/Oxfordshire border. Excellent food, four real ales, good wine list, open fireplace, service a little slow, a good idea to book. Lunch for six on Easter Monday, three courses, pints to start, bottle of decent Cotes du Rhone, coffee (knew what a 'white flat' is - Aussie, part-way between latte and cappucino), about £200. Watch out for kamikazi local drivers using the blind turn when leaving the car park at the rear.

:pDT_Xtremez_43:

Tedlooney

Sergeant
I'm just back from my first ever visit to Cologne and it has to be one of my favourite cities. Loads of great beerhalls and brewhouses, you can't really go wrong. Amongst my favorites were Schreckenskammer (Ursulagartenstraße 11-15) and Brauhaus Sion (Unter Taschenmacher 5).

Tedlooney

Sergeant
I found some great bars and restaurants in Warsaw. My favourite bar was Browarmia microbrewery on ul Krolevska 1. The porter was one of the best beers I've have ever had, tremendous liquorice flavours. The unfiltered pils was very refreshing and I also had a tasty amber ale. Not everything on the beer menu was available though as they rotate some of their brews. The food was pretty good too with a choice of Polish and international dishes. We had good weather so it was great to sit outside when there was a table available. Good staff and a good atmosphere, we went back here a few times during our stay.

Last edited:

Tedlooney

Sergeant
Cork, Ireland. The best pub I found during a trip to Cork last week was the Franciscan Well on North Mall. They had a great selection of beer, some of it brewed on site at the back of the pub. There were also some draught guest ales and lots of guest bottled beers. There is plenty of inside seating and a massive beer garden at the back. The only downer was they didn't do coffee, Mrs Ted doesn't normally consume alcohol and fancied a change from pop.

Just down the road from the Franciscan Well is Bierhalle on Pope's Quay. They had a good selection of Belgian, German and Irish beers. Mrs Ted asked for a pineapple juice but they didn't have any so they popped to the pub next door and got her one. They have a varied menu or you can bring in food from their other next door neighbour which is a pizza takeaway. They have a few tables outside on the pavement which was nice during the warm weather.

There are lots of more "traditional" Irish pubs with the music etc but I found they all sold the same Heineken, Budweiser, Murphy's and Smithwicks and not particularly good for beer hunting. A mention should go to the Market Lane Restaurant on Oliver Plunkett Street, they had good food and their own Irish stout called Angel which was one of the best beers I had during my stay.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I was in Cartmel last Saturday for the races and had some ale in the Royal Oak which in itself is a great pub with a superbly large and tranquil beer garden however, The beer we were drinking which was 'nectar' called 'Colliewobbles' brewed at an award winning pub at Ings called 'The Watermill'. This is on the A591 between Kendal and Windermere and well worth a visit.

Vushtrri

Sergeant
Anyone ever in the Chester area..........The Pheasant at Burwardsley........wonderful views and decent ale.........and in Kelsall on the A54, three pubs only one of which is unpretentious.....The Farmers arms at the top...used to be a sh1thole but now under new management and he's making a good go of it

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
We've just come back from a day out on the North Norfolk coast where there are a plethora of outstanding pubs but we stopped off for lunch in the Duck Inn in Stanhoe, just outside Burnham Market. Absolutely fantastic and comes highly recommended.

Tedlooney

Sergeant
I'm just back from a very nice trip to Bruges. There are loads of decent bars to visit. My favourite Bar is Cambrinus on Philipstock Straat 19. They have a house beer and a few others on draft then a couple of hundred bottled beers. It had a nice atmosphere, the staff were great and the food was pretty good. It did get busy though so it's probably best to book a table if you're eating there. There was a bit of a civvy walt there one day who was going on to his mates and got on my t1ts a bit but overall it was brilliant.

Next there is Staminee de Garre, down a really narrow alleyway at Garre 1. We walked past it once and had to back track to find it. It's quite a small place over two floors with lots of beams and old style features. There is a house beer and a couple of others on draft plus loads of bottled beers. I don't think they did food here apart from cheese which came with the drinks. The menu here didn't have the beer strength on it and I was rather surprise to find that the house beer I was drinking was 12.5 percent. The staff were good and helped with beer choice.

I also went to t'Brugs Beertje on Kemel Straat 5. Some regard this as the best beer bar in Bruges. It has a couple of smallish rooms and is a proper old style brown pub. They have a great selection of beers, about 5 or so on draft the rest bottled. The only food is beer snacks (cheese, sausage etc). It has a good atmosphere and good staff.

Cafe Rose Red on Cordoeanier Straat 16 is part of a hotel and would be a nice place to have a beer if they didn't play fcuking jazz over the speakers. The beer was nice though, a few draft and loads in bottles. Only beer snacks were available food wise but nice staff.

De Halve Maan on Walplein 26 is the only brewery left within Bruges centre. You can do the brewery tour for 7 Euros and this includes a beer at the end. We just went to the brewery tap to sample the beer of which there are 4 types. There's loads of seating inside and out and we were going to have some food there but some of the staff were a bit miserable so we didn't bother.

I was hoping to do a mini report on Ghent where we spent a pleasant day. Mrs Ted and I had a briefing the night before and we agreed that Mrs Ted was i/c documentation for pubs on our hit list, public transport and maps. Unfortunately, when we arrived at Ghent station Mrs Ted informed me that she had forgotten to put the documentation in her hand bag. Anyhow, we took the tram to Gravensteen Castle which is a really pleasant area with loads of bars and restaurants. My memory is not what it used to be and I couldn't remember the names of any of the bars on our hit list. We still had a very nice time and it was well worth a visit.

G

Gord

The Forrester's Arms in Chopington Northumberland. Bloody good food and a decent pint too, actually three or four varieties on draft with a good selection of bottled beer as well.