• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Petrol claim conundrum?

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
Adminers, can you please scratch your heads and help me out with a problem regarding Allowances. I have asked 2 different admin staff and got 2 different answers, I have tried to work it out but my head is going to explode.

Background - I live in the Mess during the working week and my home is 60 miles away. I receive GYH(M)
I am teaching on a service run sports course for 3 days that is approx. 7 miles PAST my house, which is along the route.
I am teaching the course and intend on travelling everyday from my house to the course as its closer than any service accomodation.

What can I claim? if anything?

lsmall

LAC
Adminers, can you please scratch your heads and help me out with a problem regarding Allowances. I have asked 2 different admin staff and got 2 different answers, I have tried to work it out but my head is going to explode.Background - I live in the Mess during the working week and my home is 60 miles away. I receive GYH(M) I am teaching on a service run sports course for 3 days that is approx. 7 miles PAST my house, which is along the route. I am teaching the course and intend on travelling everyday from my house to the course as its closer than any service accomodation.What can I claim? if anything?
This would normally be covered by Home to Duty. However, if you're travelling from your home address to your place of duty for that week and that address is private in nature e.g. is not SFA - the personal contribution for HTD (Private) is the first 9 miles and therefore whilst the journey is eligible, you wouldn't receive anything financially in return. 10 miles and above is the minimum claim for HTD now.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
I live in the mess during the week at marham i dont commute, why cant I claim this as a duty journey to and from Marham? I am teaching the bloody course! If I went to Halton on a course I would get to claim the journey?

feckinG RANT

Corporal
If it's a sports course then should it be funded through P Ed budget? Not totally sure but your GYH(M) will stop for the days at home but then the P Ed O will authorise duty travel from yours and back for the 3 days. When I was involved with the RAFMSA we had authority from the sports board to travel, and also it would be backed up by an Admin Order, is there an Admin Order that gives authority for instructors etc?

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
It depends on where you start, where you finish and when.

If for instance the course was Tuesday to Thursday and you went to your normal place of work on Monday and Thursday you could travel from Marham to your home on Monday Evening and proceed to the course on Tuesday morning and claim for a hypothetical journey from Marham to your course based on the 'most direct route' mileage between Marham and the course venue. Similarly, if you are back in work on Friday you can claim the same mileage back.

If, however, the course starts on Monday and you travelled from home this would be treated as a standard home to duty journey from a private residence and you receive nothing due to the 9 miles contribution rule. If you finish on Friday or have a day at home after the course this will be treated similarly.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm struggling to understand why you can't claim from your house to the course???

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
I have an Admin order, listing me as an instructor, I have had it signed off by M.T. and Ped O.

I Travelled to Marham on Monday, left marham on tuesday night after work to home address. travelled from home address to Rutland Water wednesday to friday from home. you do the math.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I reckon you should be entitled to MMA from Marham to Rutland Water on Wednesday, then to your accommodation. On Thursday, you should be entitled to MMA from your accom to Rutland Water and back. On Friday, you should get MMA from accom to Rutland Water, then MMA back to Marham.

The fact that you were in your own house is neither here nor there - you could have been claiming MMA from Marham to Rutland Water and back 3 times!

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I reckon you should be entitled to MMA from Marham to Rutland Water on Wednesday, then to your accommodation. On Thursday, you should be entitled to MMA from your accom to Rutland Water and back. On Friday, you should get MMA from accom to Rutland Water, then MMA back to Marham.The fact that you were in your own house is neither here nor there - you could have been claiming MMA from Marham to Rutland Water and back 3 times!
That was my interpretation. He could well have been in a hotel or mess and claimed it as well.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
That was my interpretation. He could well have been in a hotel or mess and claimed it as well.

And thats the crux of it DS, you ask 5 different adminers, you would get 5 different answers. I am damned if I do damned if I dont!

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
The Admin Order should say where you should be staying for the duration of the course, it won`t stop you staying at your own gaff but gives you an idea from where you can claim, for Rutland Water I`d guess the nearest camp is Wittering or even MOD North Luffenham but with accomm being scarce could be wider a field.

I would have thought that as an instructor and able to claim mileage you`d get Home to accom, accom to Rutland for the duration and then either course to accom to home or course to home on the last day.

I doubt you`d get Marham to Rutland for 3 days approved and it could put you over drivers hours, although if I`d been on the water all day doing Windsurfing lessons I wouldn`t want to be driving that far for 3 days in a row.

Anyway check and see what it says on the Admin Order with regards accom as that would be your authority to claim.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 2

feckinG RANT

Corporal
I have an Admin order, listing me as an instructor, I have had it signed off by M.T. and Ped O.

I Travelled to Marham on Monday, left marham on tuesday night after work to home address. travelled from home address to Rutland Water wednesday to friday from home. you do the math.

It's the P Ed O's budget then, so they can authorise what they like. So, should you not get two days GYH(M), then claim three trips to Rutland Water as a seperate JPA MMA claim against P Ed budget. On JPA it asks if you get HTD, I'm not sure but this may automatically stop your GYH(M)? Anyway, if it's sport it is defo the P Ed as opposed to Admin that deal with it. With sport often the journeys often don't fit in to normal situations, as I say the P Ed O can auth what they like, and as long as your admin order says you have authority for travel (normally issued from the RAF Sports Board via the sports main body, RAF Sailing, RAF Diving or whatever) then there should be no problem.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Ady, Ultimately the only adminer that matters in this case is the one who approves your expenses. I suggest you approach him/her and seek their view on it.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
Took the advice and spoke to the authoriser before putting in the claim, I only wanted the petrol to and from marham, she agreed that it was all above board. got it emailed for evidence and nailed it all together to keep for 2 years.......... on another note GYH(M) should not be stopped for courses less than 7 days. Admin have just refunded all the times they cocked it up.

Last edited: