• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pensions

N

NotAnIDOYet

On a similar vein, if you elected to stay on 75 because your med cat would not allow you to serve past 40 and your med cat was subsequently upped, would you have any grounds to appeal for change to 05?

Martin Blank

Sergeant
I asked similar question as initially I was doing 22 and no sign of extension or promotion so stayed on 75.
As I was told you takes your choice.....as for med cat that still allowed you to make the choice regardless of future changes.
With hind sight who wouldn't have changed if they knew the future..........

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I am still convinced that one of the first leaflets about the 2 pensions stated you would always have the right to change to 05 but never back again. It's one of the reasons I stayed with 75 as I thought I could look into further in the future. Perhaps I should have looked into that little gem first (although I still think I made the right choice)

Odie

Sergeant
I am still convinced that one of the first leaflets about the 2 pensions stated you would always have the right to change to 05 but never back again. It's one of the reasons I stayed with 75 as I thought I could look into further in the future. Perhaps I should have looked into that little gem first (although I still think I made the right choice)

Apparently, you had the right to change for just a few months after you'd signed your "Option to Change" (or something like that). The one chance to change could be taken in that short period after signing - once that period had elapsed, you were stuck on what scheme you'd chosen. I tried to change to AFPS 05 last year and was told to go forth and multiply. :pDT_Xtremez_21:

Now if you've never signed an Option to Change (or whatever it's exactly called)......:pDT_Xtremez_15:

Last edited:

raflad67

Corporal
Did you even bother to read the paperwork?

Did you even bother to read the question?

Where did I say may I change etc? durrrrrr

It was simply a question as some lads were talking about it in the crewroom. I asked the question for some gen and to maybe open up further discussion.

The jist of it was that when offered, most people were not in a position to make an informed decision so probably most stayed on 75. ie could a Sgt actually predict on promotion and being aged 55 etc etc.

So stfu and RTFQ.

If anyone else has any thoughts then that would be great. One guy said someone was asking a PQ! cheers

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Did you even bother to read the question?

Where did I say may I change etc? durrrrrr

It was simply a question as some lads were talking about it in the crewroom. I asked the question for some gen and to maybe open up further discussion.

The jist of it was that when offered, most people were not in a position to make an informed decision so probably most stayed on 75. ie could a Sgt actually predict on promotion and being aged 55 etc etc.

So stfu and RTFQ.

If anyone else has any thoughts then that would be great. One guy said someone was asking a PQ! cheers

Maybe you are in a different fcuking air force to me then chump! It was quite plainly stated when it was rolled out that you had a choice of staying on 75 or moving to 05. Once you made your choice, you were stuck with it. If you had illusions of staying on to 55, 05 was the way to go. If you weren't, 75 was your better option. The fact is, it was a one off choice so dry your fcuking eyes.

KingGuin

Sergeant
Ladies, I don't want to interupt the handbags but, FYI, I am aware of at least one person whom, for a variety of reasons, has succesfully appealed and changed pensions outwith the stated period. Just because the rules say you can't, does not mean to say they should not be challenged. However if I was a Chf Clk and your application did not contain the phrase "having being kidnapped by aliens" I would not even entertain it.

Last edited:
S

shimmeringbottom

Ladies, I don't want to interupt the handbags but, FYI, I am aware of at least one person whom, for a variety of reasons, has succesfully appealed and changed pensions outwith the stated period. Just because the rules say you can't, does not mean to say they should not be challenged. However if I was a Chf Clk and your application did not contain the phrase "having being kidnapped by aliens" I would not even entertain it.

I too am aware of personnel who have 'appealed' but unsure of nature of said 'appeal'.

As KG says, rules is not always rules! what's the worst thing they can say? NO.

My advice - have a go but your case will have to be tighter than a camels ar$e in a sandstorm! Handbags aside, interesting issue and can understand how difficult the decision was, I was a Sgt so no idea really at the time and was actually poised to PVR but then along came a crown in a christmas cracker oh and a high pay band too - lovely jubbly.

Actually, just thought too - high pay band - must check if I can go to AFPS 05 now....lol

M

Mickwreay

Guys does anyone know if you can change from AFPS75 to 05 when offered to age 55? TVM

Hi mate, I called the pension place in Sc......... Scot......... Scotl,,,,,,,,, oh sod it Scotland (there you see I have let it go)

The lass told me you can write to them & each case is looked at on merit. If you took it to a decent solicitor I am sure they would get a change for you. After all a lot of people were asked to make a choice on something they could not have known at the time.

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
If you had illusions of staying on to 55, 05 was the way to go. If you weren't, 75 was your better option. The fact is, it was a one off choice so dry your fcuking eyes.
Spot on Cooheed - it was a one off opportunity to take a bet on yourself, if you figured the odds were you would get your FS by age 47 then it was worth going for 05.

If you didn't believe in yourself or you didn't have enough time or interest then stay on the old scheme - safe as houses.

Either way we all made our decisions years ago - so why start wanting a rule change now?

Anyway who cares - I took a bet on myself and it looks like I won:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Last edited:

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Try to be civil to each other and stay on topic please.

raflad67

Corporal
Spot on Cooheed - it was a one off opportunity to take a bet on yourself, if you figured the odds were you would get your FS by age 47 then it was worth going for 05.

If you didn't believe in yourself or you didn't have enough time or interest then stay on the old scheme - safe as houses.

Either way we all made our decisions years ago - so why start wanting a rule change now?

Anyway who cares - I took a bet on myself and it looks like I won:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Spot on eh?

It seems Mr Cooheed was indeed wrong as much as it hurts me to say it...

It seems that if you write to Mr Pension Man he will consider your case on a case by case basis.

So, there's hope for people who had to make such a massive call, I will tell the lads in the crewroon - not that Coo whatever his name is was wrong, but rather they have a chance of moving should THEY be promoted to FS! I rest my case m'lud!

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
So, there's hope for people who had to make such a massive call, I will tell the lads in the crewroon - not that Coo whatever his name is was wrong, but rather they have a chance of moving should THEY be promoted to FS! I rest my case m'lud!
Well I wish you luck

However, if you take a look over on Pprune where the orifices hang out a bit of searching will show you that is a well worn topic over there too. In my day job I do hang out with a fair few FS's and ex Rankers who are now commisioned and have yet to meet anyone who has actually been successful in these appeals. I personally know 3 ex Chf's who where promoted to Flt Sgt in the last 18 months all of who have appealed and failed.

But you go and believe whatever you want - that's the beauty of living in a democratic society

Last edited:

raflad67

Corporal
Well I wish you luck

However, if you take a look over on Pprune where the orifices hang out a bit of searching will show you that is a well worn topic over there too. In my day job I do hang out with a fair few FS's and ex Rankers who are now commisioned and have yet to meet anyone who has actually been successful in these appeals. I personally know 3 ex Chf's who where promoted to Flt Sgt in the last 18 months all of who have appealed and failed.

But you go and believe whatever you want - that's the beauty of living in a democratic society

If you look at my ORIGINAL post, I merely asked a question regarding pensions which came out of a healthy discussion in our crewroom and I thought I would bring it to e-goat for more info/discussion.

I will tell the lads in the crewroon all the good gen received (with thanks) as it doesn't yet affect me!

Indeed, if I was in this position and felt aggrieved or whatever then I would deffo speak with a solicitor or get a PQ asked!

Anyway, close this topic now as it's been a pain in the ar$e and been done to death now I think!

Thanks to all for their useful input.

Oh and I belive it should be FS not Flt Sgt.....stfu

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If you look at my ORIGINAL post, I merely asked a question regarding pensions which came out of a healthy discussion in our crewroom and I thought I would bring it to e-goat for more info/discussion.

I will tell the lads in the crewroon all the good gen received (with thanks) as it doesn't yet affect me!

Indeed, if I was in this position and felt aggrieved or whatever then I would deffo speak with a solicitor or get a PQ asked!

Anyway, close this topic now as it's been a pain in the ar$e and been done to death now I think!

Thanks to all for their useful input.

Oh and I belive it should be FS not Flt Sgt.....stfu

Mate, you asked a question and then went off on one. Pensions are a quagmire. People here can help you get the info you require, but telling everyone to stfu will get you nowhere.

Lighten up a bit and hang up the boxing gloves.

TW