• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Operational Allowance

KingGuin

Sergeant
Yep! One was a girly who incurred bank charges due to non-payment of salary and the other received 200 notes as they failed to pay FRI for plenty of months. Don't go to the JPAC PACC there's another section in Glasgow; I'll PM you the section next week as I'm not in 'til then but it was easy, just one letter and the money appeared as 'Service Charges' on the pay statement!

Cheers me dear

KingGuin

Sergeant
I thought the whole AP100 series were technical manuals? Could you publish the relevant extract?

Like I said, QA for us shineys can only be a good thing, but I believe the directive to introduce it would have to come from Air Officer Administration.

We are only one of two Stns RAF wide who QA their Admin proceedures. It has been well received by all concerned and I would suggest you will see it mandated once the Sec Sponsor publishes the future PFA footprint. Given the nature of our job there is no requirement for NCRs as our technical chums know them - a local proforma would suffice if, and when, anything so serious to warrant mention is discovered.

Last edited:

KingGuin

Sergeant
In the techie world we don't even get to proiritise work, we just work till it's done[/QUOTE]

When you say "we" do you mean the royal "we" or are you referring to the day shift, the swing shift or the night shift? Fellow scribblies imagine how great that would be, handing your in-tray over to the night shift knowing when you came in the next morning (or indeed after your 4 days stand-down) that your work would be done.........bliss!!

SgtScribbly

Corporal
In the techie world we don't even get to proiritise work, we just work till it's done[/QUOTE]

When you say "we" do you mean the royal "we" or are you referring to the day shift, the swing shift or the night shift? Fellow scribblies imagine how great that would be, handing your in-tray over to the night shift knowing when you came in the next morning (or indeed after your 4 days stand-down) that your work would be done.........bliss!!

4 Days stand-down !!!

Where can I apply for that ? :pDT_Xtremez_03:

avoided the issue well there rottonapple, now answer the question

Last edited:

CTID

SAC
Op Allowance

Op Allowance

Back to the main topic (Sorry)

I got back from BAS*** last june and am still waiting for my op allowance. been told by my shineys that because of the jpa cut over, jpa didn't recognise me and the other 6 guys for being in BAS***.
Our names are on a list with some wobbly orange somewhere down south and we have been told that we will get paid but no one knows when.

Everybody that has returned since our trip have been paid and spent there dosh.:pDT_Xtremez_09:

M

Mr. Dodd

Op Allowance

Op Allowance

CTID

If your det was not recorded on JPA then you won’t appear on any lists produced by JPA which also leave me wondering about your OWP/LSA/Field Conditions etc. Ask the HR to check that has been sorted out, if not get them to raise a corrupt arrival report to the BS&D Cell

On the OA issue, the unit will be able to record the entitlement once the system is back and it will be paid at the end of April. You could ask the CC if he/she would give you an advance to cover the monies you are owed and that would be offset at the end of Apr.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So just to clarify then and assuming everything works correctly, how long after my return from this hole should my OA be paid. 4 days is the timescale being bandied around out here.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Back to the main topic (Sorry)

I got back from BAS*** last june and am still waiting for my op allowance. been told by my shineys that because of the jpa cut over, jpa didn't recognise me and the other 6 guys for being in BAS***.
Our names are on a list with some wobbly orange somewhere down south and we have been told that we will get paid but no one knows when.

Everybody that has returned since our trip have been paid and spent there dosh.:pDT_Xtremez_09:

I'm going to make myself very unpopular with the other Shineys now.

Make a nuisance of yourself. You should have had the money 4 months ago, and you still have no idea when you may receive it. So nag, nag, nag until somebody tells you "it will be paid this week". Then if it's not, nag some more.

The Loan Ranger

Corporal
So just to clarify then and assuming everything works correctly, how long after my return from this hole should my OA be paid. 4 days is the timescale being bandied around out here.

Being the person who started this thread and currently I've waited 175 DAYS!! so far so tell everyone out there not to spend it till it clears in your bank account mate

2nd thought to all the Shineys ??

How much interest would I have gained in 150 days of having my cash, it took 25days for one lad who flew back with me to get his money...

R

rottonapple

On a diferent tack ,do basic shinies get enough training on how to rectify problems ?

If not that would make a major difference .

I will admit to only having one major problem with pay .
I was owed almost £1500 food/accom/LOA when living in the desert . after 4 months home I gave up on the pd clerks and went in to see the chief clerk ,one phone call to Innsworth later the money was in my hand.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
On a diferent tack ,do basic shinies get enough training on how to rectify problems ?

If not that would make a major difference .

I will admit to only having one major problem with pay .
I was owed almost £1500 food/accom/LOA when living in the desert . after 4 months home I gave up on the pd clerks and went in to see the chief clerk ,one phone call to Innsworth later the money was in my hand.

I can only comment with confidence on my own training (many moons ago), but I don't think much has changed. My trade training was 18 weeks long, the largest single phase being the pay and allowances phase. We were under no illusion that it was the most important phase of our training and the one guy on my course who failed it was immediately back-coursed.

That said, I learned most about pay in my first year in productive service. I was lucky enough to be able to tap the experience of a load of senior SACs and cpls. That is where we are failing now. When I was at Waddo there was so much experience on the front desk that it worked really well. Most of us picked our tapes up within a couple of months of each other and the vacuum was largely filled by LACs who had no-one to turn to for advice. I saw pretty much the same thing happen at Uxbridge while I was down the road.

As for now, this time last year all our experience with resolving pay problems was wiped out and we all had to learn from scratch. Unfortunately, not everyone has risen to the challenge.

Boarderlyne

Sergeant
I can only comment with confidence on my own training (many moons ago), but I don't think much has changed. My trade training was 18 weeks long, the largest single phase being the pay and allowances phase. We were under no illusion that it was the most important phase of our training and the one guy on my course who failed it was immediately back-coursed.

That said, I learned most about pay in my first year in productive service. I was lucky enough to be able to tap the experience of a load of senior SACs and cpls. That is where we are failing now. When I was at Waddo there was so much experience on the front desk that it worked really well. Most of us picked our tapes up within a couple of months of each other and the vacuum was largely filled by LACs who had no-one to turn to for advice. I saw pretty much the same thing happen at Uxbridge while I was down the road.

As for now, this time last year all our experience with resolving pay problems was wiped out and we all had to learn from scratch. Unfortunately, not everyone has risen to the challenge.

Off Topic I also remember ENVEX 3 as being more than just a tad important. It was the only ENVEX where we were given live customers and had to sort out their problems using the AP and not some b***sh*t answer that someone made up on the spot.Off Topic
As to our current situation, you need the senior SACs and the Cpls to help back up the kids. Plus you need the kids to not struggle on alone and not be afraid to ask questions.
Alas there will always be some that are not up to the challenge. The best that we can hope is that they get the assessments that they so richly deserve. :pDT_Xtremez_06:

Back to the subject of the Operational Allowance. As you have been waiting so long, start nagging and don't nag at a low level. Get as far up the chain as you can get (Chf Clk) with a scheduled appointment. And the money should be in your account at a serious rate of knots.

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Back to the subject of the Operational Allowance. As you have been waiting so long, start nagging and don't nag at a low level. Get as far up the chain as you can get (Chf Clk) with a scheduled appointment. And the money should be in your account at a serious rate of knots.
Top class advice - when my lad didn't get his again this month I told him to make an appointment with his Chf Clerk. What do I say to him says he. Tell him you've had to borrow money from your mum to make ends meet and she needs it back. Next day result. They're not Chief Clerks for nothing.

:pDT_Xtremez_14:

KingGuin

Sergeant
I'm going to make myself very unpopular with the other Shineys now.

Make a nuisance of yourself. You should have had the money 4 months ago, and you still have no idea when you may receive it. So nag, nag, nag until somebody tells you "it will be paid this week". Then if it's not, nag some more.

While I will do my utmost to help chase payment, if someone is nagging the ass off one of my clerks I am going to get a tadge upset. Remember while advances of pay can be authorised at the whim of the Chf Clk, in theory an individual must prove they have taken all the relative steps to remedy the situation (e.g. I supports etc) and then prove that immediate non payment of due dosh would lead to financial hardship. However, and I really gotta preach the party line, this is really nowt to do with the clerks, it is a matter between the individual and JPA. I know we adminers by nature are a caring bunch but with 30% cut in staff with Admin E2E in progress can we really afford to be for much longer. Ignites blue touch paper and retires......................and yes I have had a cr*p day!

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
While I will do my utmost to help chase payment, if someone is nagging the ass off one of my clerks I am going to get a tadge upset. Remember while advances of pay can be authorised at the whim of the Chf Clk, in theory an individual must prove they have taken all the relative steps to remedy the situation (e.g. I supports etc) and then prove that immediate non payment of due dosh would lead to financial hardship. However, and I really gotta preach the party line, this is really nowt to do with the clerks, it is a matter between the individual and JPA. I know we adminers by nature are a caring bunch but with 30% cut in staff with Admin E2E in progress can we really afford to be for much longer. Ignites blue touch paper and retires......................and yes I have had a cr*p day!

I said I was going to make myself unpopular.

I haven't seen the Operational Allowance all the way through because I have been busy earning my own since soon after it was announced. My understanding is that when a guy returns from OOA, the Unit HR enter the details into a spreadsheet which is e-mailed to JPAC. If that is correct then any iSupports submitted by the individual would be closed with those familiar words "Speak to Unit HR." The same applies for most other pay issues that cause problems: LSA, HDT and Food & Accom.

Other than that, I agree totally. It is no longer our job, and we are making a rod for our own backs if we continue to intervene in people's personal admin issues as much as we have been.

Humble Scribe

Sergeant
I said I was going to make myself unpopular.

I haven't seen the Operational Allowance all the way through because I have been busy earning my own since soon after it was announced. My understanding is that when a guy returns from OOA, the Unit HR enter the details into a spreadsheet which is e-mailed to JPAC. If that is correct then any iSupports submitted by the individual would be closed with those familiar words "Speak to Unit HR." The same applies for most other pay issues that cause problems: LSA, HDT and Food & Accom.

Other than that, I agree totally. It is no longer our job, and we are making a rod for our own backs if we continue to intervene in people's personal admin issues as much as we have been.

I think that where the OA hasn't been paid for the amount of time quoted in some examples above, the Chf Clk/SNCO/whoever HR is honour bound to get involved as quite clearly the system has failed them and your average non-shiney won't have the necessary experience or clout to get it sorted. KG is correct though; the individual has to make the first attempts at sorting the problem and prove they have exhausted their capabilities before asking for our help. In those circumstances I would happily help out by either chewing someones ear in Glasgow or paying an advance.

KingGuin

Sergeant
I think that where the OA hasn't been paid for the amount of time quoted in some examples above, the Chf Clk/SNCO/whoever HR is honour bound to get involved as quite clearly the system has failed them and your average non-shiney won't have the necessary experience or clout to get it sorted. KG is correct though; the individual has to make the first attempts at sorting the problem and prove they have exhausted their capabilities before asking for our help. In those circumstances I would happily help out by either chewing someones ear in Glasgow or paying an advance.

I agree that while we can help we should but our ability to do so is being eroded daily. Not so long ago I interviewed some poor techy whose wages were completely sh***ed thru no fault of his or ours. Feeling magnaminous I approved an advance and instructed an EPIC to be raised for payment. No sooner said than done when the Accts clerk is knocking at my door telling me that the only person who can authorise an EPIC is OC Accts! Apparently JPAC don't like EPICs cos it cocks pay accounts up!!! My reply, tho priceless is unprintable.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So nobody can say the timescale that it 'should', in normal circumstancs, be paid in then?

Boarderlyne

Sergeant
So nobody can say the timescale that it 'should', in normal circumstancs, be paid in then?
Without JSPs to hand and only going from what is in my alcohol-addled brain (The morning after, the night before!) the 'normal' timescale is approx 6 to 8 weeks. That is assuming that all the right inputs went in at the right time, the det was actioned correctly onto JPA and no gremlin has screwed up the system. After the second pay run sans allowance, the individual should put in an I-support detailing the nature of the problem with dates, location and the allowance that is reasonably expected to be received. If the I-support is closed or not resolved to your satisfaction, cut and paste the whole chain and re-iterate the problem. This alas, will probably take about another month.

If the second I-support is closed without resolution, then escalate the problem to your 1st RO (aka Section Commander, Flight Commander, WO, etc) with a print-off of what you have done to resolve the problem, so that they have sight of what could be a drama in your life. They will advise you to take it to the Unit HR (Sqn Clk) and then the Unit HR will have a go at batting for you. If they have no joy (which from the sounds of it , they won't) they will then advise you to take it to the SNCO PSF or Chf Clk, depending on who your Sqn Clk knows best (another month gone by now).

The SNCO PSF or Chf Clk will then take over the problem as you have done your best and the Sqn Clk has done theirs. (At all points, take print-outs with you as they can do nothing without evidence) and they should be able to resolve the problem in a week or two.

All in all 4 months for the worst problem should be the timescale. Personally, I know that the scribes in PSF are getting grief for problems that are not of their making and that Chf Clks are getting the same for not making sure that people jump through the hoops. They are trying to look after people and cut down the horrible length of time that it takes to resolve the harder than usual problems.