• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One for discussion... Double standards?

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
I have been living in the UAE for nearly 10 months now, its not a bad place and quite liberal in the grand scheme of things. However, we make much in the UK of the use of Muslim clothing, how it shouldn't be worn, should conform to UK standards etc, yet when we enter shopping malls out here, it clearly says "Ladies, cover up the knees and shoulders out of respect". Yet the Ex-Pats choose to wear mini skirts, short tops etc in the knowledge that they have been asked to cover up out of respect.

Double standards?

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
To be honest the British are fairly near the bottom of the league when it comes to lecturing other nations about how to behave or dress in public although we tend to think otherwise.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
If you live/work/visit a foreign country, you conform to their rules... Not that hard surely?

G

grumpyoldb

I suppose it makes a change from jim-jams on the streets at 4pm picking up Tarquin from school.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

Double standards?

Yes, 100%. Recently saw servicemen turned away from mosques/cultural sites in the ME because they were dressed like douches, then moaned like fcuk. Sadly there is nothing more embarrassing than the Brit "tourist" abroad.

Xchen

LAC
Yes, 100%. Recently saw servicemen turned away from mosques/cultural sites in the ME because they were dressed like douches, then moaned like fcuk. Sadly there is nothing more embarrassing than the Brit "tourist" abroad.

The typical stereotype Brit strikes again.

Things like this really annoy me, shines a bad light on all of us. The fact that it was servicemen is even worse seeing as though they were probably given a heads up or at the minimum read the sign... Zzzzz

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I have been living in the UAE for nearly 10 months now, its not a bad place and quite liberal in the grand scheme of things. However, we make much in the UK of the use of Muslim clothing, how it shouldn't be worn, should conform to UK standards etc, yet when we enter shopping malls out here, it clearly says "Ladies, cover up the knees and shoulders out of respect". Yet the Ex-Pats choose to wear mini skirts, short tops etc in the knowledge that they have been asked to cover up out of respect.

Double standards?

I usually get turned away because I always forget to wear socks with sandals. Dunno whether it's just because my feet are always in a right old state or whether it's a rule for blokes.

It seems to me a very simple concept, different countries have different rules, if you visit these countries either on holiday or Det then play by the rules, its a mark of respect for culture and nothing else.just because we in the UK dont seem to have any moral standards anymore doesnt mean that we have to flount the rules of others.Time to get out of the UK its going to the dogs

mild mannered janitor

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
It seems to me a very simple concept, different countries have different rules, if you visit these countries either on holiday or Det then play by the rules, its a mark of respect for culture and nothing else.just because we in the UK dont seem to have any moral standards anymore doesnt mean that we have to flount the rules of others.Time to get out of the UK its gone to the dogs

fixed you post for you :pDT_Xtremez_30: