• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Olympics 100 days to go

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Oh goody, the Olympic games are now only 100 days away. So is your excitment mounting or has your apathy level remained unchanged?

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
I am disturbed that you have actually paid attention during the '100 days to go' news report.

I am doubly disturbed that you have brought it to my attention so that I also now know that it's only '100 days to go'.

Please tell me that you are not going to be the e-goat countdown clock.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
N

NotAnIDOYet

Oh goody, the Olympic games are now only 100 days away. So is your excitment mounting or has your apathy level remained unchanged?

Part way through my work up training, deploying in a couple of weeks for a live trial and checking out my hotel on TripAdvisor!

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
Like Al Murray the venerable pub landlord said during his tour a couple of years ago, 2012 Gonna be a bit sh!t.

G

grumpyoldb

All this sh!t for 14 days??????
What a waste of fookin' money? :pDT_Xtremez_25:

G

gemarriott

I am disturbed that you have actually paid attention during the '100 days to go' news report.

I am doubly disturbed that you have brought it to my attention so that I also now know that it's only '100 days to go'.

Please tell me that you are not going to be the e-goat countdown clock.

more like the e-goat countdown cock

Apathy

Apathy

i can't even be bothered to be apathetic about the games.
Who's interested in a bunch of anal farts running round and jumping up and down just because the can and expecting us to pay for it!

Fat2at

Corporal
Ah, but as Dennis Leary(?) said - if you're a betting man, don't bother studying form. Just bet on any of the paralympians - those guys are all winners.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The stimated £9.2bn cost of London 2012 would buy you:

70-80 Typhoons (loosely £100m each)

11 T45 Destroyers (based on £800m each)

16 hospitals the size of Birminghams Queen Elizebeth.

4 c-17's leased for 90 years

2250 predators (based on £4m each)

69230 prison places for one year (based on £130k a place)

And all this for a couple of weeks of people chucking spears, playing bow and arrows, messing about in a pool, riding bikes and jumping horses over a fence or two...

I rest my case m'lud.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
The stimated £9.2bn cost of London 2012 would buy you:

70-80 Typhoons (loosely £100m each)

11 T45 Destroyers (based on £800m each)

16 hospitals the size of Birminghams Queen Elizebeth.

4 c-17's leased for 90 years

2250 predators (based on £4m each)

69230 prison places for one year (based on £130k a place)

And all this for a couple of weeks of people chucking spears, playing bow and arrows, messing about in a pool, riding bikes and jumping horses over a fence or two...

I rest my case m'lud.

Has anyone worked out how much money we are likely to get from visitors in terms of airport taxes, hotel bookings, tourist spending etc?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Some retail info here...around the South East an expected increase of 11% in turnover...

http://www.onwindows.com/Articles/London-2012-Olympics-impact-on-retail/6701/Default.aspx

Unless the mass hordes of people expected to come visit for a portion or the whole length of this event are millionaires hell bent on spending money like it's confetti I really can't see it covering itself or anywhere near it...I was down London t'other day and the prices are already ramping up with a bottle of water in the middle costing £3.75 (small one). With the rates the hotels are fleecing people at they will be spending carefully...mini-supermarkets et al may well be popular!

Fact is this money, if not spent on this farce, could have gone a long way to funding some flagship projects employing thousands of people for years to come which then creates a need for service sector involvement and so it grows horns...To spend it on something that lasts two weeks before we give most of the infrastructure away to save on running costs is just silly.

riggrrrr

SAC
Well, just seen the flame arrive at RAF :pDT_Xtremez_07: Culdrose and it looked like a pretty lame ceremony to be honest. Us RAF down here were pretty gutted not to be invited, probably as we would have shown up the bummers I suppose.........

G

grumpyoldb

Welcome to England. It'll be raining................ :pDT_Xtremez_31: