• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No.1 SD Hat

C

cwallbank

Does any one know how you guys (Rocks) get your No.1 Hats tailored. If you dont know what i mean two of my mates are rock and they are DIs their No.1 Hats are flat. so that the back of the top of the hat is quite thin, they arnt sure how its done they got them tailored when they were in cyprus and as im not there i cant get mine done.

Any advice would be great

I think the term is slashing the peak?????

Not sure this is slashing the peak which gives more of a Guards regiment's look to the SD hat.

Queens Colour Squadron wear a variant on the SD that has a chin strap that goes round the back as well as one that goes round the front and it also has a flat top....................think they are known as Manchester hats.

Standing by to be corrected.

P.S have just dug this photo up.................note the 2 chin straps......one for show and one for use........the hight from the bottom of the peak to the top of the front of the hat is longer than the standard SD and it sits higher at the back,the top doesn't curve over making it flat on top but the peak is defo not slashed
I'm sure these are issued..............mabye the rocks were having their SD's tailored to look like these?(possers!!)

Attachments

• 1295215464_933af14d74.jpg
    1295215464_933af14d74.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I think most peoples advice would be that unless you are part of a unit that has sanctioned the destruction of service property to achieve a uniformed look, out of kilter with what God and Lord Trenchard intended, don't do it.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
As soon as I saw this thread, the thought 'Spacey' came to mind.... and lo and behold - you are.

I was an SI on my local cadet Squadron, went to wing event and saw an Adult Sgt wearing one. I made a point of going over and putting him straight. He looked a right chopper and I told him so to his face in front of everyone else.... next wing event - Normal SD on his swede.

Just because QCS and Guards regiments wear them, does not mean that the Air Training Corps do ok?

When worn and looked after properly - the RAF uniform is very smart - do not try and do anything with it.

And just to p1ss on your chips some more - I'll see you you at the Welsh Wing event.... If I see a slashed peak on anyones swede I'll know its you.

Last edited:

wolfy

Warrant Officer
Some QCS bods did a job on my old SD cap. They propped and rimmed it with some bits of copper. It had the effect of making it look like the peak had been slashed without any cutting being done. It also made the top flatter and tighter. I have to say it looked the very smart.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
QCS get issued a slightly different No1 hat to us 'guins nowadays.

As Wolfy says, they're slightly taller and give the look of the peak having been slashed without actually having been near it with a stout needle and cotton.:pDT_Xtremez_42:

If you're entitled to a QCS No1 hat, no doubt you'll have one. If not, as FOMz has said, you won't and you'll get a reaming for defacing Crown property... :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Drill Bit

Sergeant
Why on earth would anyone who isn't a Gnr want to dress as a Gnr? If you want a Gnr's hat, then apply for the regt, and then, only if you're good enough, you'll get the hat.

C

cwallbank

As soon as I saw this thread, the thought 'Spacey' came to mind.... and lo and behold - you are.

I was an SI on my local cadet Squadron, went to wing event and saw an Adult Sgt wearing one. I made a point of going over and putting him straight. He looked a right chopper and I told him so to his face in front of everyone else.... next wing event - Normal SD on his swede.

Just because QCS and Guards regiments wear them, does not mean that the Air Training Corps do ok?

When worn and looked after properly - the RAF uniform is very smart - do not try and do anything with it.

And just to p1ss on your chips some more - I'll see you you at the Welsh Wing event.... If I see a slashed peak on anyones swede I'll know its you.

Fomz i dont have a slashed peak, My cousin is QCS and he cant find one anywear so thats y im lookg for one

C

cwallbank

Not sure this is slashing the peak which gives more of a Guards regiment's look to the SD hat.

Queens Colour Squadron wear a variant on the SD that has a chin strap that goes round the back as well as one that goes round the front and it also has a flat top....................think they are known as Manchester hats.

Standing by to be corrected.

P.S have just dug this photo up.................note the 2 chin straps......one for show and one for use........the hight from the bottom of the peak to the top of the front of the hat is longer than the standard SD and it sits higher at the back,the top doesn't curve over making it flat on top but the peak is defo not slashed
I'm sure these are issued..............mabye the rocks were having their SD's tailored to look like these?(possers!!)

Thank this is what i was Looking for

G

gemarriott

Fomz i dont have a slashed peak, My cousin is QCS and he cant find one anywear so thats y im lookg for one

I hope you find a dictionary too next to a book on grammar if you are really lucky!

the lovetoad

Sergeant
Subscriber

Surely if your cousin is QCS he can go to clothing stores and get the same as everyone else on the Sqn (thats why they call it uniform).

I have to say it's a great plan. If I ever need a bit of kit - instead of getting stores to put in a demand for it, I can ask random family members to find it for me!!

G

grumpyoldb

I have to say it's a great plan. If I ever need a bit of kit - instead of getting stores to put in a demand for it, I can ask random family members to find it for me!!

Unless it is really for yourself! :pDT_Xtremez_14:

S

Squipper007

Wow,

What a ridiculous thread, can't believe I actually read it.:pDT_Xtremez_35:

GunnerP

SAC
As an ex QCS Gunner of yesteryear, we were issued the standard cap which was then 'propped and banded' Where a small metal prop was inserted behind the badge, and a spring steel hoop sized to fit , and stretch the crown. The cap was then dampened and formed. Then dried to get the stiffness.
Slashing of peaks was allowed as long as a standard distance was achieved between peak and nose. Big nosed *******s like me had no chance of getting away with it.

I believe the introduction of the ceremonial cap made all the above bollocks redundant.

P

As an ex QCS Gunner of yesteryear, we were issued the standard cap which was then 'propped and banded' Where a small metal prop was inserted behind the badge, and a spring steel hoop sized to fit , and stretch the crown. The cap was then dampened and formed. Then dried to get the stiffness.
Slashing of peaks was allowed as long as a standard distance was achieved between peak and nose. Big nosed *******s like me had no chance of getting away with it.

I believe the introduction of the ceremonial cap made all the above bollocks redundant.

P

GunnerP can you shed any light on the 2 chinstraps?..................if you altered a standard SD cap i take it the extra strap had to be fitted.................is this correct?

GunnerP

SAC
The extra strap was simply fitted onto the existing plastic posts to which the standard one was attached. It was used to give you a secure fit and prevent cap loss in public. The standard one was left in position above the peak purely because it was deemed to look better with it there, than with nothing at all.

Mind you,I'm talking about the days when we were still polishing SLR bayonets with Autosol and a piece of cardboard.

The extra strap was simply fitted onto the existing plastic posts to which the standard one was attached. It was used to give you a secure fit and prevent cap loss in public. The standard one was left in position above the peak purely because it was deemed to look better with it there, than with nothing at all.

Mind you,I'm talking about the days when we were still polishing SLR bayonets with Autosol and a piece of cardboard.

I was told in the distant past that this style of cap was known as a Manchester hat................................then again iv'e been fed a lot of other bullsh!t over the years