• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nightmare!!!

The Stig A.D.I.

Corporal
we're due back to Blighty in about a week so, in true 'coming back from Germany' fashion, I ordered a new car. I decided on a ford focus (we're going to start our own driving school 'on the side' when we get sorted back in Blighty & the focus is ideal both for teaching in and as a second family car) anyway, I digress...

I flew over about three weeks ago & collected the car from a dealership in Kent; the car was ready, complete with all the optional extras and I was very pleased with it. There were no problems on the journey home and it's been fine, until last week!

Mrs Stig was revesing into a space at a local supermarket, very slow speed, etc. but when she came to brake, the pedal just hit the floor, no pressure whatsoever. She told me about it & I took it out for a check drive - the brakes worked fine right up until I wanted to stop on my driveway, then exactly the same thing happens & I end up yanking up the handbrake to stop before hitting the garage door...

So, I called the local Ford dealer and took it down that afternoon; typically, the mechanic couldn't find any problems during his test drive, however, took our word for it and contacted Ford Germany for advice. They were very twitchy (naturally) and arranged for the mechanic to fit a new main brake cylinder and to have the original sent to their lab via courier.

Obviously, I'm expecting a replacement car for the duration, but no - this would have been possible if I'd called Ford to collect it from my house, but as I took it down there myself (and saved them a job) I'm not covered by the Ford Assistance Cover Warranty.

Four days later and I get a call to say it's ready to collect; I go down there and the receptionist hands me the keys and points across the parking area where I can see the car. Immediately I walk out of the office (bearing in mind it's just after 5pm), she locks the door and puts the 'Closed' sign up. Anyway, I get to the car and do the cursory walk-around - immediately spot a scratch of about 10cm long above the rear wheel arch, but on closer inspection, I see that not only is this a scratch, but it's been bodged too! Whoever was responsible has obviosly taken it to a painter 'friend' and tried to cover up the damage with, what I am told by our pro-sprayer at work, is a common method using a kit comprising of wire wool and filler!!!
It's been re-sprayed and finished, but the actual scratch is so deep that I spotted it straight away!

Cue me speeding round to the front of the dealership and banging on the door. Receptionist answers (with Boss in tow) and protests their collective innocence and suggests that this must have happened before I actually collected the car from the original dealership in the UK!!! The owner/manager also jumps on the defensive and produces some car polish and starts merrily buffing away at it, then suggests that 'you can hardly see it anyway'! I'm speeechless! He then tells me to come back on Monday morning and we'll go together to his spray shop in a neighbouring village and talk to the sprayer & 'see what he thinks' - WTF!!!

To top it all, I drive out of the dealership, brake for the junction and the pedal has about five inches of travel before there's any evidence of slowing down (versus the one inch prior to it being 'worked on'). I can see that the cylinder has indeed been changed, but it's obviously not been properly bled-through - what a fekkin nightmare!

Not only have I bought a lemon, but then some to55er goes and runs a tool trolley (or something) down the side and tries to cover it up!!!

So, I'm taking it in tomorrow & fully expecting this sprayer of his to shake his head and suggest that this is a 'factory' issue, or some other old b0ll0cks!

Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated (bearing in mind that I've already considered all manner of nasty comebacks..)

Over to you... :S

Last edited:

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Oh 5hit, what a nightmare! Are you by any chance in the AA or RAC or any other motoring organisation that might represent you - including NATO cars, or whoever you went through for the purchase? They would fight your case for you at no charge. Good luck mate.

P.S. Need any C5?

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Have you by any small chance got any photo's prior to and after the accident happening ? Anything you have , a photo of the kids by the new car sort of thing could help prove your argument. Good luck.

The Stig A.D.I.

Corporal
Thanks, Ping & SD, yeah, I do have a few pics of the car from a couple of weeks ago - I'll try that!

I'm a member of ADAC & depending on how I fair in about 20 minutes, I may well be calling them. I also plan to call TAAC (Traffic Accident Assistance Centre) - they're an excellent, young company, headed up by a German lady - they deal with all manner of motoring issues and claims & I've used them several times in the past whenever any of my guys (NATO Drivers) have had a bump or even just an altercation with 3rd party drivers (especially Americans...). The staff are all English speaking and will deal direct with the German authorities on the caller's behalf - and it's free!

I'll let you know how I get on...

Last edited:

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
Not sure if it'll help, but I got a new tax-free focus last year and it had a problem with the boot. The garage said it was not their problem, all the usual blah, I got one of the german girls in the office to ring Ford's head office in Germany and it was sorted within 2 days. Might be worth a go if you get no joy.

Working in the industry you can request a buy back where Ford Europe have to buy the car back from you as you are unhappy with the fix being offered, I think you will have to do some digging but there is a buy back clause if a car is a lemon as you mentioned

The Stig A.D.I.

Corporal
Thanks for the advice, all.

Well, here's an update/conclusion - and a positive one at that...

I took the car in as arranged and insisted on the brake system being re-bled (which helped), then further discussed the mystery damage with the garage owner; he was adamant that it hadn't happened during the time that it'd been at his premises, however, he suggested that we go along to the spray shop that he has a contract with and 'discuss' the matter with the boss there...

I followed him to a neighbouring village and we met the spray painter who immediately stated that the car had indeed been involved in some sort of mishap and the culprit had obviously tried to cover-up the damage by employing a 'not very good' painter! He used a special guage that can read the depth of the paint in any given area and this showed that around a 1.5' square area had been 'blown-in'! I was amazed! He then went on to point out where the lacquer had been applied too thickly and where there was debris underneath the new paint along the rear wheel arch! They went on to discuss (in German - which I understood perfectly) the possibility of it happening at the garage and the guilty staff member 'taking care of it overnight, etc. and that to rectify it would cost in the region of Eu.700 before tax!

I told the garage owner that this was all I needed to hear and would be re-contacting the solicitor (who had already advised me earlier that day that she was confident of a successful outcome) immediately upon my return home. He looked bewildered and said that he was having a meeting with a manager from Ford's Head Office the next morning at the garage and would like me to come along and speak to him AND that if Ford refused to pay, then in the interest of customer satisfaction, he would!

I went to the meeting, the guy from Head Office suggested that the illicit repair may have been carried out (believe it or not) by a transporter driver who may have caused the damage while either loading/unloading the car before it was even delivered to the UK Dealer!!! I suggested to him that I would of course still have picked up on this at the initial inspection and to suggest such a scenario was proposterous - he too looked bewildered, the pair of them disappeared into an office, then came back and told me that the car would be made good (including the Guard-X coating) by a different local Ford dealership at no cost to me!

I'm taking it down there in the morning - obviously I'm not happy about what's happened, but I am relieved that it's going to be repaired properly and at no cost to me!

Thanks again all for your suggestions!

:pDT_Xtremez_28:

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
When you go to collect it,
CHECK THE BRAKES BEFORE YOU DRIVE IT AWAY!
Sounds like an amicable outcome though.

Ping

P.S. Thought about a tank of petrol for your trouble?

Gillo

Banned
Thanks for the advice, all.

Well, here's an update/conclusion - and a positive one at that...

Thanks again all for your suggestions!

:pDT_Xtremez_28:

I thought you were going to order a BMW as your go home car now that you are on Pop Star wages. Plus you can forget the driving school bit on the side, with Petrol far too expensive everyone is walking now. Better off teaching English in your local 'coledge'.

I,m nearly back to normal after escaping NATO TF, PM me your posting mate.

The Stig A.D.I.

Corporal
I thought you were going to order a BMW as your go home car now that you are on Pop Star wages. Plus you can forget the driving school bit on the side, with Petrol far too expensive everyone is walking now. Better off teaching English in your local 'coledge'.

I,m nearly back to normal after escaping NATO TF, PM me your posting mate.

Gillo, NOTHING will keep me from my prospective 'Lay-by Princesses'...

Good to hear you're settling in - I'll drop you a PM when I'm back on-line.

:pDT_Xtremez_30: