• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New York servicemens club

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I've been thinking about a jolly to NY and having read some older threads I was wondering if they have a Union Jack style equivalent? Anybody know or stayed at such an establishment....

Also which airport is best to fly into, never been before so it's all new to me? And I guess any other recent gen or tips that I may have missed...

Thanks in advance....

norfolkred1

Sergeant
There is one in New York but the name eludes me, but it is central. Flying in to New York, I have dropped a car off at Newark which was not bad at all with a direct train into Penn Station close to Madison Square Garden. JFK is a trek by Cab so I reckon the more expensive option, not sure about rail service but no doubt there is one

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
These three are listed as reciprocal clubs for the RAF Club in Picadilly, so they might be just for officers but you can have a look.

Cornell Club

6 East 44th Street, New York, NY 10017
Tel. 001 212 986 0300 front desk
Fax. 001 212 986 9385
Email: j.smallacombe@cornellclubnyc.com
Web: www.cornellclubnyc.com

The Penn Club
30 West 44th Street, New York, NY 10036
Tel. 001 212 403 6533
Email: hshinawy@pennclubny.org
Web: www.pennclub.org

The Yale Club
50 Vanderbilt Avenue, New York, NY 10017
Tel. 00 1 212 716 2100
Fax. 00 1 212 983 3324
Email:guestrooms@yaleclubnyc.org
Web: www.yaleclubnyc.org
Send to a friend Print

P

pie sandwich

There is always THIS one.

It is a bit like the UJ club. I know people that have stayed there and said it was great, and it's about 15min walk to the Empire state building.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
There is always THIS one.

It is a bit like the UJ club. I know people that have stayed there and said it was great, and it's about 15min walk to the Empire state building.

Cheers mate, I saw that one but it sells beds rather than rooms so I'm not too sure the wife would be very keen to share a room with a load of other people. A lads weekend however....

mememe

Corporal
Cheers mate, I saw that one but it sells beds rather than rooms so I'm not too sure the wife would be very keen to share a room with a load of other people. A lads weekend however....
Stayed in this place last year. They have private rooms, didn't see dorm accom. We had a shared bathroon, again unsure if you can get on-suit. It is really cheap and cheerful. Rooms had aircon which is needed in the summer. You can have breakfast, which is bagels, toast, coffee and OJ, there is no charge for this although you have the option to make a donation to their service charity. No pressure to do this as they just leave a jar in the kitchen. We put in a few bucks at the end of our stay. It is v close to grand central station, we got a bus to there from airport and walked, 2 minutes if that. You can walk to just about everywhere from here, I think we got a cab once due to legs not working (beer). If the mrs wants 5 star then this is not the place as you get what you pay for. It is clean, cheap with all the facilities you will need, great location smack bang in the centre. Hope this helps.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Also which airport is best to fly into, never been before so it's all new to me? And I guess any other recent gen or tips that I may have missed...

Thanks in advance....

JFK is closest to Manhattan (about 15 miles compared to Newark which is about 25 miles). Getting in from Newark is a chuffing pain in the backside, especially as you use part of the New Jersey Turnpike, however if you're staying on the west side of Manhattan, once you're through the Holland Tunnel, which is underneath the Hudson, you can get to your hotel quite quickly. However, the FDR Expressway and the Long Island Expressway, which you'll encounter if you fly to JK aren't without their moments. Depending where you're staying in Manhattan will usually determine how long your journey will take. I've stayed in the upper part of the island before and been taken through Queens, The Bronx, over the bridge into Harlem and down. When we've been more central, we've come straight off of the FDR in Brooklyn and over the bridge there and you're in town. In either airport, you won't get much of a view of the city, maybe a glimpse if you're lucky so as far as viewpoints are concerned, you won't any advantage. Taxis cost around $45 from either airport into the city, which will include the toll for either the bridges or the tunnels, which ever way the driver goes.

I go to NY quite regularly, PM me if you have any more Q's, however I've never stayed in one of the servicemen's clubs. I believe the main one is called the SSMA club and is situated on Lexington Ave, which is smack in the centre, near Bloomingdales.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
JFK is closest to Manhattan (about 15 miles compared to Newark which is about 25 miles). Getting in from Newark is a chuffing pain in the backside, especially as you use part of the New Jersey Turnpike, however if you're staying on the west side of Manhattan, once you're through the Holland Tunnel, which is underneath the Hudson, you can get to your hotel quite quickly. However, the FDR Expressway and the Long Island Expressway, which you'll encounter if you fly to JK aren't without their moments. Depending where you're staying in Manhattan will usually determine how long your journey will take. I've stayed in the upper part of the island before and been taken through Queens, The Bronx, over the bridge into Harlem and down. When we've been more central, we've come straight off of the FDR in Brooklyn and over the bridge there and you're in town. In either airport, you won't get much of a view of the city, maybe a glimpse if you're lucky so as far as viewpoints are concerned, you won't any advantage. Taxis cost around $45 from either airport into the city, which will include the toll for either the bridges or the tunnels, which ever way the driver goes.I go to NY quite regularly, PM me if you have any more Q's, however I've never stayed in one of the servicemen's clubs. I believe the main one is called the SSMA club and is situated on Lexington Ave, which is smack in the centre, near Bloomingdales.
Thanks. Any particular hotel recommendations?

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Thanks. Any particular hotel recommendations?

Well that depends on your budget and desired location - how close you want to be to certain attractions, what you want from an area, etc - think of NY as a collection of small villages lumped together, each with their own atmosphere and vibe. Most areas in the city are easily accessible, taxis are cheap and plentiful and the subway is efficient (though the map takes a little while to get used to as it's not as explanatory as London's). My advice would be to avoid anywhere budget, purely as you won't know what you're getting and facilities are usually shared. We usually stay at the Affinia Manhattan on 7th Ave because, as far as we're concerned, the location is perfect - over the street from Madison Square Garden with Penn Station (the NY equivalent of King's Cross with the 1, 2 and 3 subway lines that run north-south of Manhattan passing through it) underneath it, 10 minute walk south from Times Square) one block from Macy's and about 400 yards from the Empire State Building. A further 15 minute walk south (don't worry, it's all perfectly safe) and you're in the heart of Greenwich Village. There's a fantastic deli next door where we would go every morning to stock up on fresh-made sandwiches, juice, water and fruit for lunch that was dirt cheap.

Other good ones are the New Yorker on 8th Ave and 34th Street and the Wellington, further up 7th Ave about 2 blocks from Central Park - both clean, decent 3 star accommodations. A good site is http://www.nyc.com which is the official NY tourist website which has details of most of the good hotels in the city.

Don't be adverse to Brooklyn either, which is easily accessible from Manhattan and considerably cheaper. Brooklyn is a great place (it's the equivalent of being 'south of the river' in London) and is probably how most people actually visualise NY in their minds.

any more Q's, let me know.

Oberon305

Chairborne
Stayed in this place last year. They have private rooms, didn't see dorm accom. We had a shared bathroon, again unsure if you can get on-suit. It is really cheap and cheerful. Rooms had aircon which is needed in the summer. You can have breakfast, which is bagels, toast, coffee and OJ, there is no charge for this although you have the option to make a donation to their service charity. No pressure to do this as they just leave a jar in the kitchen. We put in a few bucks at the end of our stay. It is v close to grand central station, we got a bus to there from airport and walked, 2 minutes if that. You can walk to just about everywhere from here, I think we got a cab once due to legs not working (beer). If the mrs wants 5 star then this is not the place as you get what you pay for. It is clean, cheap with all the facilities you will need, great location smack bang in the centre. Hope this helps.
+1 for this place. Was a great place to use as a base for seeing the sights. We had a week there and apart from sleeping in there, we weren't in there for long! It IS cheap and cheerful, but it's not a luxury pad by any means, so if that's what you're after then I'd look elsewhere. The staff were friendly ad as said above, the location is ace. I'd stay there again, no worries.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Well that depends on your budget and desired location - how close you want to be to certain attractions, what you want from an area, etc - think of NY as a collection of small villages lumped together, each with their own atmosphere and vibe. Most areas in the city are easily accessible, taxis are cheap and plentiful and the subway is efficient (though the map takes a little while to get used to as it's not as explanatory as London's). My advice would be to avoid anywhere budget, purely as you won't know what you're getting and facilities are usually shared. We usually stay at the Affinia Manhattan on 7th Ave because, as far as we're concerned, the location is perfect - over the street from Madison Square Garden with Penn Station (the NY equivalent of King's Cross with the 1, 2 and 3 subway lines that run north-south of Manhattan passing through it) underneath it, 10 minute walk south from Times Square) one block from Macy's and about 400 yards from the Empire State Building. A further 15 minute walk south (don't worry, it's all perfectly safe) and you're in the heart of Greenwich Village. There's a fantastic deli next door where we would go every morning to stock up on fresh-made sandwiches, juice, water and fruit for lunch that was dirt cheap.

Other good ones are the New Yorker on 8th Ave and 34th Street and the Wellington, further up 7th Ave about 2 blocks from Central Park - both clean, decent 3 star accommodations. A good site is http://www.nyc.com which is the official NY tourist website which has details of most of the good hotels in the city.

Don't be adverse to Brooklyn either, which is easily accessible from Manhattan and considerably cheaper. Brooklyn is a great place (it's the equivalent of being 'south of the river' in London) and is probably how most people actually visualise NY in their minds.

any more Q's, let me know.

I'm thinking near to Times Square as it's our first time there....any thoughts?

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
I'm thinking near to Times Square as it's our first time there....any thoughts?

Try this site: http://www.timessquarehotelservice.com/ - very good site and people I know have used it. Bear in mind though that you will pay a higher premium for accomm in that area of the city, however you are almost dead centre and everything you could possibly want is there, or certainly within easy distance of it and there is a plethora of hotels in the vicinity. I have stayed at the Affinia Manhattan, about a 10-15 min stroll south of Times Square on 7th Ave, which is excellent value for money and ideally located for getting around as it's close to the main subway route up and down Manhattan and round the corner from sights like the Empire State Building.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Really 10-15 minutes? It looks a long way on the map.....

It's not as far as it looks! It's close enough to be able to enjoy it fully, but far enough away to escape the hustle and bustle of the square - imagine Times Square as an exceptionally greater mix of Piccadilly Circus and Leicester Square combined and you can start to get a feel just how great a vibe it is.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It's not as far as it looks! It's close enough to be able to enjoy it fully, but far enough away to escape the hustle and bustle of the square - imagine Times Square as an exceptionally greater mix of Piccadilly Circus and Leicester Square combined and you can start to get a feel just how great a vibe it is.
Cool, just checking, tempted to go with your recommendation. The reviews online look alright....

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Rather than start a new thread.....

All you NY vets, whats the SP with the subway? Can you buy a daily/weekly travelcard? In advance or at a station? Whats best, we're going to be there for 4 days and plan on cutting about on the subway....

Realist78

Master of my destiny

All you NY vets, whats the SP with the subway? Can you buy a daily/weekly travelcard? In advance or at a station? Whats best, we're going to be there for 4 days and plan on cutting about on the subway....

IIRC (6 years ago), you can buy saver tickets at the stations from a machine.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts

You can buy a travel card in the subway. Can't remember how much you're going to pay but they are tremendous value and highly recommended. Also, the yellow cabs are dirt cheap and are plentiful, just remember to give the driver and address as opposed to a landmark/hotel/restaurant, etc as a lot are immigrants and only know the streets, not necessarily what's actually there.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts

...and they have aircon turned way up which, in a NY summer, is not to be taken lightly.

Also, Take up position at a platform end and play "spot the rat on the rails". They really are a most impressive size down there.