• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New uniform

4everAD

Sergeant
So hearing rumblings that CASWO is investigating new uniform options. So what's the Goaters thoughts?
For me I would like a uniform where I don't have to explain to civvies that I'm in the RAF not the army (PCS) or on the rare occasion I wear blues it's made from the cheapest and most uncomfortable materials that either mean I'm freezing in winter or too hot in summer.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Bring back itchy clothing.

Theres not much you can do with a shirt and trousers, modernise the cut.

Never quite understood why an engineering organisation like the RAF never went for cargo pants and polo shirt as normal dress, always smarten up if required.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
What a waste of money.

Whatever happened to the Dark Blue PCS trial at BZN circa 2013? Let's reinvent the wheel.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So hearing rumblings that CASWO is investigating new uniform options. So what's the Goaters thoughts?
For me I would like a uniform where I don't have to explain to civvies that I'm in the RAF not the army (PCS) or on the rare occasion I wear blues it's made from the cheapest and most uncomfortable materials that either mean I'm freezing in winter or too hot in summer.
Thunderbird jackets and chip hats that can be worn at jaunty angles most definitely need to come back into RAF fashion.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Copy the Navy? They wallow around the dockyard I frequent in dark blue cargo pants and shirt with belt. Looks like it’s comfy, hard wearing and fit for most tasks not requiring denims.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Copy the Navy? They wallow around the dockyard I frequent in dark blue cargo pants and shirt with belt. Looks like it’s comfy, hard wearing and fit for most tasks not requiring denims.

That is exactly what was being trialed at BZN.

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
Bring back OOLLLDDDD YELLA. Not being up with the RAF Sprogs of today do they still wear the green overall or have someone found some coin down the back of the sofa for Grey ones. I can just remember wearing V-Neck jumpers instead of the round necks if they still about.

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Bring back OOLLLDDDD YELLA. Not being up with the RAF Sprogs of today do they still wear the green overall or have someone found some coin down the back of the sofa for Grey ones. I can just remember wearing V-Neck jumpers instead of the round necks if they still about.
That’s crazy talk. You never wore kit like that when you were fighting Napoleon.......😁

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
That’s crazy talk. You never wore kit like that when you were fighting Napoleon.......😁
Damn! Must admit before the IRA got all sniffy in the early eighties about us wearing uniform to go home in. I quite enjoyed heading off over the weekend to Manchester home from Stafford Graveyard in uniform. Especially wearing No1s. Then Paddy O'Flynn decided to up the ante and the Green was in vogue from TSW and Paddy go upset with that too.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Shitcan head dress, except for ceremonial occasions. It serves no purpose.
It has loads of uses. Berets are good for holding fire extinguisher nozzles, keeping your head warm, being the hat the tea-bar raffle is drawn from and also great at wiping the condensation off the inside of the car windscreen on damp mornings. SD hats keep the sun out of your eyes, placed upside down its good as a place to chuck your loose change, keys etc, the peaks great for shifting snow off car windscreens and can even, in emergency, remove low grade ice from your windscreen. In addition with no hat on what would our commissioned brethren do when your are walking towards them?

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Haven't seen an airman with one on donks....seem pretty common with aircrew still...