• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Sports Lottery Needs Membership - Sharpish

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
Apparently the new Sports Lottery which is due to go live at the end of next month is in danger of folding due to a lack of registrations. They need another 4000 tickets in play by 15 Feb 16 or they will lose their licence, meaning RAF sport funding will be reduced from £2.2million each year to £500K across all associations and individual grants.

Its £1 per ticket, a weekly draw and you can have a maximum of 5 tickets per week. It will come out as a monthly direct debit from your bank account.

Registration is dead simple (both serving & retired can buy tickets)

http://www.rafcf.org.uk/

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Wasn't aware that I could sign up being ex RAF. I've now done so, hope enough sign up to keep it going. I also shared the link amongst ex RAF colleagues.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Perhaps the fact that you can't register with a debit card on a DII terminal has something to do with it (a military lottery that can't be registered on a military system - what a joke!); this would mean that you have to remember to do it when you get home. Dunno about you, but the RAF Sports Lottery (or any other part of the RAF, for that matter) is the last thing on my mind when I get in from work.

Could also have something to do with the amount and frequency of shaftings that RAF personnel have had to take lately (manning, deployments, pay, pension, NI contributions, rent increases, the list goes on) - perhaps people no longer feel like supporting anything to do with the RAF, considering the lack of support the RAF is currently giving them? Just a thought...

Perhaps the fact that you can't register with a debit card on a DII terminal has something to do with it (a military lottery that can't be registered on a military system - what a joke!); this would mean that you have to remember to do it when you get home. Dunno about you, but the RAF Sports Lottery (or any other part of the RAF, for that matter) is the last thing on my mind when I get in from work.

Could also have something to do with the amount and frequency of shaftings that RAF personnel have had to take lately (manning, deployments, pay, pension, NI contributions, rent increases, the list goes on) - perhaps people no longer feel like supporting anything to do with the RAF, considering the lack of support the RAF is currently giving them? Just a thought...

I know you're a troll, but even so, you are a class A w4nker.

Man up, or hit the button.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I know you're a troll, but even so, you are a class A w4nker.

Man up, or hit the button.

Er, no, not a troll, and the first paragraph is factually correct (please feel free to log on to a DII terminal and try it). In addition to this, I have a wife and kids so anything work related is very far from my mind when I get home.

The second paragraph was, as the text suggests, merely a suggestion (the clue was in the use of the word 'perhaps').

The slightly pessimistic viewpoint was generated by removing the rose tinted spectacles some forum users may wear, and acknowledging what is going on around me. If you hadn't noticed, there's been a lot going on (perhaps you are of a payscale that can afford to choose to ignore it, I don't know, but some of us aren't...).

Regardless, my supposition stands with merit.
As for the 'man up, or hit the button' comment, it's hardly a loyalty statement coming from some old stacker who couldn't cope with stacking any more, and hit the button himself!

Feel free to stick your head in the sand, or back up your aRsE, whichever you find more comfortable...

Last edited:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Have they stuck it out on BFBS, put it in SRO's and even shoved it on Prune?

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
They don't make things easy.

I nearly signed up with direct debit. Am I the only one who hasn't seen a paper based bank statement or used a cheque book for years and can't remember the exact format of their bank account name?

I tried a dozen combinations of what it could be and none were acceptable.

You can only do a limited amount of draws with a debit card and judging by the rudimentary sign up process it will probably be a painful exercise if I sign up with a debit card and try to convert to direct debit in the future. So it will have to wait until I have my security widget and can log on to internet banking to check the account name.

Ringo

LAC
Have they stuck it out on BFBS, put it in SRO's and even shoved it on Prune?

Vim.....you would be shocked (or not) to know that this has been so poorly advertised that it's laughable.

On certain RAF Sports websites.....it still shows up the RAF Sports Lottery as it was months ago. No latest adverts or updated ticket prices, or updated prize fund or anything at all.

Its truly a joke.
No ones joining, cause no facker knows it's back up and running !!!

lastly, no one reads SROs anymore and nor does anyone listen to BFBS, unless on OPs.
Well certainly not in the numbers required.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant

I was in the sports lottery for years and i haven't bothered rejoining. I have also pulled out of Mess Xmas draw tickets and the work brew fund saving myself £20 per month.

Little wins!!

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
I'm not sure I'll bother. I did it for 22 years and never saw a sausage. Fair enough to anyone who joins in, and good luck to you, but now I'm a civvy I will leave it behind and concentrate on the Nigerian Lottery which, according to the emails I receive, I seem to win regularly. If only I had £20K spare.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********

I didn't have a problem registering and setting up payment on Dii?

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'll back that. Joined it at inception in 93 and never sniffed a cent till I left in 15. Always wondered why so many AC's at Cosford won the Jackpot on a regular basis. Were they press ganged into buying 10 or whatever tickets?

Digzster

Sergeant
I wonder if the "High heid Yins" have considered that the RAF has shrunk so much since the initial Sports Lottery started?

I'm personally not surprised that the take up for tickets has diminished.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
It wasn't about winning, it was about putting some money into sports and expeds.

Only won once whilst a member but did manage to get some funding for a couple of events, if it's money you want to win, then you're better off placing your bets elsewhere.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Any news on the uptake or target number of members reached?

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
It wasn't about winning, it was about putting some money into sports and expeds.

I agree there - anyone remotely interested in AT/Sport would be silly not to join. Personally I've won 2 grand twice and had (so far) 8 weeks skiing - at approx a grand a time for personal skiing I'll add another 8K to that so my grand total I've had from them if they pay 60% of each ski trip is £8,800.00. At 15 years paying on average £10 a month I'm 7 grand up! Cheers muchly!

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I didn't have a problem registering and setting up payment on Dii?

When I followed the link, it said on the Sports Lottery website that you could register for a Direct Debit on DII (I haven't carried a cheque book - which would have my account and sort code in it - for many years!) and there was a link to paying via a debit card, but it said 'not currently available through DII'.