• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New RAF Uniform Proposal?

jti

LAC
I quite liked the bit where they said that opinion on uniform hasn’t been formally captured in over 20 years. Seem to remember the clothing survey in 2020 along with the blink and you’ll miss it results.

Attachments

• 19789DF6-3475-424F-93B5-9FAAFCA4E762.jpeg
    19789DF6-3475-424F-93B5-9FAAFCA4E762.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 33

Wobbly_Jon

Corporal
Don't fret about it, by the time the MOD bean counters have spent 'kin £Ms doing feasibility studies, cost benefit studies, ad nausium they will have over-spent the budget and the zob who first thought of it will have been promoted and moved on to another useless post and so with nothing will happen as per usual

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Well over 40 years ago we asked why we couldn't have a daily working dress similar to the Army with blue OGs, dark blue (linie) shirts and round neck pullovers.

Now it looks like they are proposing something similar but the RAF branding is a cluster fúck, I do think the polo shirt is decent though.

9.jpg

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
My lad has just told me that the *.pdf is dated 26 July 2020.

I wonder if it went to the airships and has been quietly forgotten.

UlsterExile

Sergeant
its part of the Astra project looking at updating the look of the RAF, just blue sky thinking people, dont loose your 5hit over it. it wont happen, there isnt any cash for it. maybe new rank slides with RAF on them....
Some one has leaked it as A4 combat underpants were given a directive by a 3* to get something done on new uniform by 31 Mar 22. They are not happy with what they put together but it got the 3* off their backs. Most of this will never see the light of day as contracts will have to be set up, plus trials, dress regs ammended etc. If this comes arrives in the next 10 years i'll be surprised. Don't get me wrong we need some modern clothing to meet the 21 century but not looking like Starship Troopers or Thunderbirds/Captain Scarlet.

fourteen2two

Corporal
The cargo trousers are OK but in one colour. Why not old style dark blue techie shirts with round neck wooly pulley option and existing short sleeve shirts for summer. Existing blue bomber jacket is ok.
Some kind of decent goretex type jacket and overtrousers in blue for bad weather.
Surprised the stable belt isn't rainbow colours to show diversity!😝

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Is it a one-piece item or two. If one then it's going to spaff up most tech trades laundry plans as they won't be able to get a week out of a dark blue shirt and 2-3 weeks out of a pair of trousers?

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
Is it a one-piece item or two. If one then it's going to spaff up most tech trades laundry plans as they won't be able to get a week out of a dark blue shirt and 2-3 weeks out of a pair of trousers?
2-3 weeks for trousers? If you only ever wore them on the five minute journey to and from work they never ever needed washing. Once at work it was denims over undercrackers or shorts if you were really posh.

Captain Kirk

Corporal
Word is that those that live in growbags ‘cos they can’ are going to have to start explaining why they’re in them when they don’t fly for a job.
Each flying suit, plus servicing is up at £425 per year. Blues make more sense.

Be better to just issue a "Benny" hat to everyone with a "Dayglow" rank badge to pin on the front, then give everyone a clothing allowance (taxable of course) and let them wear what is comfortable and durable and fit for purpose of the job being undertaken? Would save millions in contracts, boost "Silvermans" sales for those who need good kit and you could go back to being free to walk the streets in peace - just take off your hat and nobody would know what you were! How things have changed in the 34 years since I left - lol.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
Word is that those that live in growbags ‘cos they can’ are going to have to start explaining why they’re in them when they don’t fly for a job.
Each flying suit, plus servicing is up at £425 per year. Blues make more sense.
I assume flying suits are issued as flying equipment rather than purchased from the clothing allowance by those that do.

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
By way of comparison, tonight's Channel 5 programme about the Coldcream Coldstream Guards mentioned the cost of their ceremonial uniforms - the Drum Major's cost well over £40k and each standard guardsman's red tunic is north of £3k. MOD could probably kit out the whole of the RAF for the cost of a slack handful of guardsman's tunics.