• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Pay Scales

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I read it as nobody would physically lose money, but plenty would be either marking time for a good while, or receiving insulting increases on promotion. Not good news when your pension is now linked to your earnings.

I'm glad I jumped ship before this all kicked in!

1Referee

LAC
Thats my interpretation too, the statement no one will take a pay cut on transition is management speak for not immediately.

This is the final humping for many, I anticipate JPA has begun to melt today for those who have the time in.

I have just under 5 years left and am now in it for education and my own future. I may even develop a glass back.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Yet. Pay protection is only initially for 3 years. I'm currently paid more than the new level and its unlikely I'll get promoted in the next 3 years so if they remove the protection I will be facing a pay cut.

Does that 3 years take the mod outside the employment law or are they exempt anyway.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Nothing illegal about reducing some ones salary as long as you follow the rules.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
I can't see what all the fuss is about. I'll be getting a pay increment 4 months early and it will be higher than what I was expecting.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Nothing illegal about reducing some ones salary as long as you follow the rules.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

If the employee refuses to accept the pay reduction he can be allowed to terminate his contract. Will the MOD allow that.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If the employee refuses to accept the pay reduction he can be allowed to terminate his contract. Will the MOD allow that.

The way I understand it is that if an employee does not accept a pay reduction they are not just entitled to terminate their contract, they are entitled to redundancy. The reason for this is that pay is a major change to a contract of employment and that contract is related to the job they do. Therefore if a pay reduction is imposed on that contract then that means that the job no longer exists and must therefore be redundant.

LAC
New Pay Scales

We don't have an employment contract. We have Terms and Conditions of Service TaCOS. That's why employment contract law doesn't apply, ditto for ET waiting times etc...

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
We don't have an employment contract. We have Terms and Conditions or Service TaCOS. That's why employment contract law doesn't apply, ditto for ET waiting times etc...

It wouldn't stop a lawyer having a go at an employment tribunal. Didn't the wraf have terms and conditions of service with regards to getting pregnant and leaving.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
We don't have an employment contract. We have Terms and Conditions of Service TaCOS. That's why employment contract law doesn't apply, ditto for ET waiting times etc...
It's not quite as simple as that, I'm pretty certain a court would accept attestation papers as a contact, then depending on how it is worded you'll have contractual entitlements whether it's mentioned in the agreement, your terms of service or policies (QRs, JSPs, APs or whatever).

With regards ET civi companies can set long notice periods if they want to, however in civi street if you don't want to stick around you can just walk, in the military you'll be AWOL, with regards the pregnancy sackings of WRAFs that was just discrimination that could no longer be objectively justified.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
It's not quite as simple as that, I'm pretty certain a court would accept attestation papers as a contact, then depending on how it is worded you'll have contractual entitlements whether it's mentioned in the agreement, your terms of service or policies (QRs, JSPs, APs or whatever).

With regards ET civi companies can set long notice periods if they want to, however in civi street if you don't want to stick around you can just walk, in the military you'll be AWOL, with regards the pregnancy sackings of WRAFs that was just discrimination that could no longer be objectively justified.

So you agree that you just can't reduce someone's wages without proper negotiation and the MOD are on a slippery slope.

LAC
This barrister doesn't think so...

*Remember, members of the Armed Forces do not have contracts of employment and, as such, only have access to Employment Tribunals (ETs) in limited circumstances. The vast majority of “Employment” issues are dealt with by way of a Service Complaint.

http://www.coffinmew.co.uk/mobile/index.asp?page=armedforces

And I'm sure that, as little faith as I do have in our lords and masters, they have probably scrutinised the new pay model sufficiently to ensure its enforceable and not going to fall down or be subject to legal challenge. Just like the whole AIP debacle, ultimately for all the whining and threatening of legal challenge there was as far as I'm aware everybody just had to suck it up in the end...

sk8dave88

LAC
I don't believe anyone will face a reduction in their current pay. They will go on standstill or specially determined rate of pay until promotion or the NEM pay for their level increases to a point over what they are on.

It's a terribly worded document and the 3 year protection isn't explained well in the slightest along with what if any impact that may have.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I don't believe anyone will face a reduction in their current pay. They will go on standstill or specially determined rate of pay until promotion or the NEM pay for their level increases to a point over what they are on.

It's a terribly worded document and the 3 year protection isn't explained well in the slightest along with what if any impact that may have.

Isn't that what makes it so frustrating