• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Pay Scales

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
New Pay Scales

Just to quantify, the AVM and other ranks were mostly at a leadership conference at the RAF museum at Hendon though I maintain I have heard this statement made and agreed to throughout my career. Very interesting to see the response tonight.

This message was sent using my thumb.

It may be workplace dependant, but to me an inexperienced or clueless Cpl's negative effect on the team output can be fairly easily mitigated by pairing him with an experienced and competent SAC.

Conversely I'd argue it's much more difficult for an experienced Cpl to mitigate for an poor Sgt. This can have a catastrophic effect on team morale depending on the personality type of the Sgt too. All too often the incompetence seems to come hand in hand with a lack of self awareness and absence of people skills too.

Basically as I've said before a chode of a Cpl has one of several teams underperforming, A chode of a Sgt can have the whole desk or potentially the whole shift in the claggy stuff.

Not only that the position is very important in terms of getting the mood of the shop floor to management and vice-versa. An individual who doesn't perform that function of ****filter/shop-steward can have a cancerous effect on the section morale IMO.

Ringo

LAC
Just to quantify, the AVM and other ranks were mostly at a leadership conference at the RAF museum at Hendon though I maintain I have heard this statement made and agreed to throughout my career. Very interesting to see the response tonight.

i can't work out if your being serious or not !

but I suppose if an AVM with his grass roots grasp of the lower end of the Airman rank scale says a cpl is more important than a sgt.....then I'm completely converted.
suprised that an AVM with all his powers, didn't just inverse the pay of both ranks. As a sort of official acknowledgement of the importance of it.
it MUST be true.

what next...CT rank is more important than a WO ??
what other junior rank is more important than one above it ??
im intrigued to know.

can you at least share with us, why you hold a cpl rank so highly but have such contemp for a sgt ??

sorry, but your opinion/statement, really does need quantifying.

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
Ok so a lot has been lost in translation. I certainly held no contempt for sgts when I was one. Genuinely this is something I have heard throughout my career. In fact cpls are known as the 'backbone' of the Services (google it) it must be true! I think if you look at what I am saying rather than what you think I am saying you'd be less obtuse. I am not slagging off sgts. I'm not saying cpls have more responsibility. I am saying the role they play as that first stepping stone between producer and supervisor is, as is widely recognised, the most important. Maybe too much for a Sunday night...

Ringo

LAC
Ok so a lot has been lost in translation. I certainly held no contempt for sgts when I was one. Genuinely this is something I have heard throughout my career. In fact cpls are known as the 'backbone' of the Services (google it) it must be true! I think if you look at what I am saying rather than what you think I am saying you'd be less obtuse. I am not slagging off sgts. I'm not saying cpls have more responsibility. I am saying the role they play as that first stepping stone between producer and supervisor is, as is widely recognised, the most important. Maybe too much for a Sunday night...

im being obtuse ?? Yeah good one 

cpls are the backbone of the armed forces now ?? Your just making this stuff up surely ?? 

there are good and bad in every rank, your blanket statement is laughable mate.

no evidence to support that a cpl is the back bone or a more important rank than sgt.

im looking forward to someone posting something which backs up your claim.

ps. All these senior ranks openly disrespecting the Sgt rank, that's obviously a good leadership tool. Slag off your level1 commanders....nice move 👍🏻

Last edited:

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
New Pay Scales

What are you on about? When did I slag off sgts?

Oh and this is cut and pasted for your benefit...

As the NCO corps is known as the backbone of the armed forces, the corporal is the backbone of the NCO corps.

Ringo

LAC
What are you on about? When did I slag off sgts?

Oh and this is cut and pasted for your benefit...

As the NCO corps is known as the backbone of the armed forces, the corporal is the backbone of the NCO corps.

you got me 👍🏻

ringo out......

Webbo

Sergeant
From my experience,

I get it, yes the move from Junior Magician to Cpl was massive, YOU are now the oversig, but you can still be one of the lads in the right circumstances.....

A chod of a Cpl is easily managed IF you have a strong/experienced Sgt.

The move from Cpl to Sgt was again huge, especially if you move career path completely. But a chod of a Sgt can easily be circumvented IF and only IF you have strong/experienced Cpls.

I loved my time as a Junior Magician, enjoyed it as a Cpl and again loving my time as a Senior.

Overall, a Cpl can run the desk, get his hands dirty and be one of the lads and in my opinion a more important member of the desk. A Technician (Sqn)desk can easily be ran with no Senior but becomes very difficult with no Cpls.........

All of my lads are important, we all have a job to do and for the most part we all want to achieve the same goal!

In my opinion, the jump from Cpl to Sgt was far more involving than that from JT to Cpl.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
The jump from JT to Cpl was hard initially I have to say for me. But that soon didn't become and issue when everybody got their 2 bananas out of the corn flakes packet, introduced TG4 and made Cpl the new JT rank.