• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NEM Roadshow

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
The only issue I would be worried about it the Manning Control Measures as this will be quite a fundamental change to the job security that currently exists.

I also understand it was used quite arbitrarily in the Army when the money ran out in 2008.

Everything else just reflects the RAF adjusting to normal accepted practice and being a much smaller force than it used to be.

I personally think that the career structures of ORs could have a much more radical overhaul which would enable the RAF to be run much more effectively. This NEM is using the old ways as a foundation and altering bits around the edges, about as radical as this years changes to last years fiesta.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
SFA charges were proposed as being at the 'national average rent' minus a 'discount'. People in MQ's are in for a shafting whichever way you look at it.

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
This will bring us more into line with how the Army operate - trust me we will all be one big purple blob and it won't be long.

chiprafp

Geek Scuffer
6 years to push and we move into our new home in Sept for that very reason!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Noidea

SAC
Some interesting responses here. Having sat through the brief and also one of my ex bosses on the team I was quite pleased to see how candid the team were and was encouraged by what was being said. As for rental prices the current view is that they may not go up by much at all. The current benchmark pricing system is looking at costs in the social housing market and using that as a benchmark rather than normal rental prices. The team viewed that costs were broadly comparable in that regard with SFA. SLA is slightly different for those in SLAM and there will probably be some rises, but remember it is the AFPRB who agree to rises in charges. Overall, it isn't as doom and gloom as many would perhaps think. The good thing is the RAF response rate to the survey, well over half of the responses have been from the RAF with minimal from the Army - this can only be a good thing. The NEM is not bringing us into line in how the Army operate so I am not sure where Busby gets the MCM use in 2008 by the Army. The way the MCMs were explained made sense, and with SFC one with 12 months notice and selection akin to a normal redundancy board seemed sensible (better than 3 months notice or less in civvy street). The one message that was pushed hard is that it was not a savings exercise at all - just that our current offer is too expensive and has grown out of control because it is out of date, so we need to do something realistic with the amount of money we have. At least they are listening and if you track back on some of the AFCAS results you will notice several items that now appear in the NEM Brief, seems to be that they have taken notice of the surveys!!

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I'm not saying there is any thing wrong with MCMs, I just think that they are the one measure that would worry me most.

They are a redundancy process by another name I would just like to think that selection and subsequent compensation reflects the loss to the individual.

They will probably be used for the first time to deal with the recruitment bubble of 07/08 as that demographic flows through the ranks.

Sent from my Nexus 4

ERT

Corporal
Interesting to hear about the new pay structure. Looks like a 180 degree turn after Pay 2000.
Good for techies etc , but could be bad for those who don't deploy that often, or are not deemed to be on the Higher/Middle Tier pay scales.

Trusty Adjusty

Corporal
Interesting to hear about the new pay structure. Looks like a 180 degree turn after Pay 2000.
Good for techies etc , but could be bad for those who don't deploy that often, or are not deemed to be on the Higher/Middle Tier pay scales.

As a techie, I am of course obliged to be of the opinion that these changes are well overdue, the cynic in me however, is not so sure the difference between levels will be all that much.
Besides, If we get a pay rise I'll only have accommodation, pensions, deployments, ineffective management, PAYD, promotion and postings left to moan about in the tea bar :pDT_Xtremez_42::pDT_Xtremez_30:

XVR RA RA RA

Sergeant
just that our current offer is too expensive and has grown out of control because it is out of date, so we need to do something realistic with the amount of money we have.

Don't believe everything they tell you.

What we have at the moment is not too expensive at all, the politicians just want to syphon the money elsewhere. Like to the bank of scotland.

How much was the payrise that politicians were asking for?

Puma

SAC
So the pensions gone, cheap accommodation gone, decent wages gone (lets be honest they are not going up - this is definitely a cost saving exercise) the pensions gone, the job security has gone.

Any other perks of the job going? After this we'll have to pay £40 a month gym membership as well??

Noidea

SAC
Puma - pension changed but still one of the best in the public sector. Accommodation charges haven't really changed, wages are still fairly good tbh, job security still remains it is just that we have entered the real world where market forces exist and there aint enough money to go around. The military at the moment isn't perfect but in most cases far better than the real world.

Noidea

SAC
Don't believe everything they tell you.

What we have at the moment is not too expensive at all, the politicians just want to syphon the money elsewhere. Like to the bank of scotland.

How much was the payrise that politicians were asking for?
Hate to disappoint but it is mate - if we continue as we do we just cannot afford the current offer. It is woefully out of date and needs refreshing. I am sure you will disagree but in this case you are wrong

Noidea

SAC
SFA charges were proposed as being at the 'national average rent' minus a 'discount'. People in MQ's are in for a shafting whichever way you look at it.
The way it was explained at my brief was a national average rent based upon local authority housing, which in the main is far better than SFA and around the same approximate cost. The new accommodation grading system will force DIO to make improvements, although the issue will still remain, can DIO make the changes (considering how chaotic they are) and will they be able to generate the requisite finances to start upgrading accommodation - 2 tough questions to answer. Will accommodations costs rise probably, although at my brief they said more than likely for Officer SFA rather than Airman SFA (the latter more closely aligning with the size of Local authority housing)

Puma

SAC
Puma - pension changed but still one of the best in the public sector. Accommodation charges haven't really changed, wages are still fairly good tbh, job security still remains it is just that we have entered the real world where market forces exist and there aint enough money to go around. The military at the moment isn't perfect but in most cases far better than the real world.

It's not as good as it was, we're not in the public sector, that's why we allow ourselves to be treated like ****e and sometimes deploy to dangerous places for a whole lot less than those in the public sector.

The armed forces are not a profit making plc, we are always going to be a money pit, but investing in employees has meant that the RAF competes with the best. There are other areas where money can be saved, we have all seen them.

Instead the RAF will now make me pay more for rent, take away some of the perks and basically make my wages comparable to civvy street. However civvy street do not expect me to stay in tents when I go away, they won't put me on guard etc etc and if they do, they pay the big bucks.

Noidea

SAC
It's not as good as it was, we're not in the public sector, that's why we allow ourselves to be treated like ****e and sometimes deploy to dangerous places for a whole lot less than those in the public sector.

The armed forces are not a profit making plc, we are always going to be a money pit, but investing in employees has meant that the RAF competes with the best. There are other areas where money can be saved, we have all seen them.

Instead the RAF will now make me pay more for rent, take away some of the perks and basically make my wages comparable to civvy street. However civvy street do not expect me to stay in tents when I go away, they won't put me on guard etc etc and if they do, they pay the big bucks.
I always thought that the MOD being a government department meant we were part of the public sector, may be both I and the dictionary have got that wrong!! You obviously don't enjoy being a part of the military so why not leave?? http://www.privacysense.net/difference-between-private-public-sector/

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The military at the moment isn't perfect but in most cases far better than the real world.

In most cases? What trade are you now? What areas of the 'real world' are you basing that broad-brush assumption on? Are you looking at the job market on a regular basis and measuring it against your current role where you can be fecked around at a moments notice, lose out to the allowance package you are on unless you sit in your tent/room and stare at the walls straight after your happy meal?