• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Need advice on buying a camera.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Using the higher pixel count is great if you are going to produce big prints.
I shoot most stuff at 2.2 as it gives a straight 6"x4" print and is more than enough to look at and zoom on the screen.

Very true, but I find that a larger pixel count helps when the object is a fair distance away and you've not got a long lens.

Count me in for receiving a teach-in.
How about a photo comp afterwards ?

:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
No worries there mate. I wouldnt post a self portrait, I'm so ugly it might turn you straight! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

I told you before, you can't fool me with a sheepskin jacket and a bit of webbing you wierdo ! :pDT_Xtremez_15:

Us good Welsh boys can spot a fake a mile away. That's how the farmer tries to catch us ! :pDT_Xtremez_31:

TrenchardsLoveSock

Flight Sergeant
Not a camera buff myself, but spent a lot of time before Christmas reserching bridge cameras for the missus. THESE GUYS were very helpful and there are a lot of threads like this over there already that are worth a read.

Jessops is worth a trip, but before you hand over your cash, take a look HERE. I'm not a big fan of price comparison sites like ciao and kelkoo, but this one is very good and checks loads of places, from proper camera sites through to Play.com and Amazon.

Finally, never buy things like memory cards from Jessops, even if you are getting the camera there. I bought a 2GB SanDisk Extreme III for £12.99 from Play.com, Jessops were asking £65:pDT_Xtremez_42:

S92

LAC
Need advice on buying a camera - Talk Wrench

Need advice on buying a camera - Talk Wrench

Stand aside you hammer chewers, the Old Pro is here!
Seriously Talk Wrench, I have been in the Trade for more years than you can count(still remember glass negs and am still in the Service) and today you have the widest choice of cameras you have ever had.
Once you have bought into a camera system such as Nikon or Canon, and you start to add more lenses and other kit, you are then more or less tied to that maker as it would become very expensive to change all the kit.
Personally, I would go for Nikon. That is my choice but equally, any of the other brands would be more than satisfactory for you.
e.g. Nikon D40X/ D60 /
Canon 400D/ 350D
Olympus E410
Quality wise, as an amateur without the need for much more expensive and possibly un needed kit, you will not see a lot of difference between most of the models on the market.
Get into Jessops or one of the other High Street chains. Get hands on with the kit. Often, it is just the feel and handling of a camera that sells you on it. Pricewise, they are all much of a muchness. Once you have had hands on, surf the net for the best prices.
Most of the current models come with a mid range zoom, which will cover most of what you need. After that, what do you want to photograph? Sports? Go for a longer zoom. Nature? Wider zoom with a macro(close up) facility.
Practical Photographer is out each month and is also on line. They do excellent articles on all matters photographic as well as showing you samples of readers shots. Well worth looking at.
And in a plug for the Trade. Go along to your local neighborhood RAF Photographic Section and I can guarantee you will get advice from the girls and guys there.
:pDT_Xtremez_09: :pDT_Xtremez_09: :pDT_Xtremez_09:

P

Prodigal Son

Count me in for receiving a teach-in.
How about a photo comp afterwards ?

:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Sounds like a good idea?
Depends on what sort of photography people are interested in. Naked ladies is my favourite part after all that's why the camera was invented:pDT_Xtremez_28:

What do people want? There's no point in doing a how to photograph landscapes when people really want portraits and people etc...

And as this is a photography trade forum is this the best place for putting a teaching thread?

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Sounds like a good idea?
Depends on what sort of photography people are interested in. Naked ladies is my favourite part after all that's why the camera was invented:pDT_Xtremez_28:

What do people want? There's no point in doing a how to photograph landscapes when people really want portraits and people etc...

And as this is a photography trade forum is this the best place for putting a teaching thread?

Well so far, I haven't yet decided on which model to buy. I certainly appreciate everyones input and advice. Although I can't pop into Jessops at the moment, I have taken a lot of tips on board and cannot thank everyone for stopping me from buying on impulse just because of a cheap price.

Keep the hints coming especially for lenses as well as I have absolutely no idea what to spend and what to buy. Your first hand experiences are invaluable.

Prod Son suggests a teaching thread and Ex Bay a photo comp.

Cool Ideas, I'm well up for both.

S92, thanks for your professional input and let me just say that this is my first foray into photography with anything more than a point and shoot camera.

TW :pDT_Xtremez_31:

Last edited:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Sounds like a good idea?

I'd like to think I COULD take a good (sensitive!) picture of a naked lady, but frankly, I doubt it. Then there's the problem of finding sdaid lady and convincing her that one is kosher in the desire just to take piccies. If that's not enough, somewhere proper to take said piccies is a good idea; studios are not easily found (some RAF bases may have a photo club, but that's not a lot of help to the rest of us).

So I suggest we all take pictures of what we can, or what interests us.

Perhaps some Photogs could judge the entries ? (or a vote?).
As for where to put it, a separate thread perhaps?

:pDT_Xtremez_28: