• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NCO Aircrew and ATC leadership

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I am going to post this because it may help anyone who is going NCO-ATC or Aircrew to focus

Last weekend I cam back form Granta after 4 days and was witness to some of the work of the training staff in field leadership of NCO ATC and Aircrew. I have to tell you this; you really need your schit in a sock if you are going down that route.

• We are there for 4 days, they are there for 10 (I gather).
  • We live in a shed, they bivvi out in a wood - all the time and like us live on rat packs
  • We tab from leadership exercise and test, to the next. They Tab 7K to their first one of the day, then tab back at night when it gets dark.
  • They get absolutely tasered from dawn to dusk without let up; the pressure is immense.

This is a far cry form the old days when they had no respect in the mess; these kids, when and if they get through this, are the real deal.

If you are thinking of going down this route I suggest you steel yourself for fitness of a high calibre, exceptional personal standards and some real hard living. It's not easy at all.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
  • We are there for 4 days, they are there for 10 (I gather).
  • We live in a shed, they bivvi out in a wood - all the time and like us live on rat packs
  • We tab from leadership exercise and test, to the next. They Tab 7K to their first one of the day, then tab back at night when it gets dark.
  • They get absolutely tasered from dawn to dusk without let up; the pressure is immense.

It was always this way...It was THE hardest thing I have ever done to date as its not just physical but very much a mental battle to pass...at all times you are made to doubt yourself in terms of 'am I performing to the right standards' and because you rarely get feedback you continue to push yourself harder for longer because the physical element convinces you that you never ever want a recourse and a ticket to repeat any bit of it...That takes more balls than anything else...taking a recourse and having the minerals to not just sack it and go back to when you were happier!

And it doesn't really end after ITC...It just keeps on pushing you but at least the money is good...

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Indeed Vim - The initial training course was what nightmares were made of.....

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
NCO Aircrew and ATC leadership

I concur. Hardest course I've ever completed. Being told on grad day that even though I had passed everything and could've graduated, they weren't sure I wanted it enough and so I would have the pleasure of doing it all again... I didn't realise it at the time but it was the best thing to happen to me.

Easily my biggest achievement in the RAF graduating as top student and I owe the instructors a great deal. The standards they set were the highest I've seen.

I didn't quite appreciate my name being called out on the second grad day along with those who were not graduating. As I headed towards the open door trying to work out what I had done to fail a course I was convinced I had smashed, the MACr simply paused then as I reached the open door said "close the door. You're graduating"... I was in bits.

This message was sent using my thumb.