• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MoD defends 'spying' on soldiers

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I suppose the general public may see the point in this, but when it comes to injured servicemen or women, how the hell could we possibly 'fiddle' a claim when we're so closely overseen my medical staff?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8157275.stm

Another waste of time and money?

P

pie sandwich

I was going to post about this last night, but to be honest I didn't know what to put because it made my blood boil.
I am fuming about how they can justify using anti terror laws against the same men and women who are risking life and limb to stop terrorists.

Perhaps these questionable people (it's hard work not to swear) should pop down to Headly court and tell some poor sod who has no legs and body is covered in scars that they think he is swinging the lead and they are going to investigate him.

R

Rich_P

But an MoD spokesman said that in the vast majority of cases where surveillance was undertaken, the claims were found to be exaggerated, resulting in them either being repudiated or settled at a greatly reduced level of damages.

He added that the practice had helped uncover fraud which had saved the government millions of pounds.

Do typists being able to claim more than someone who's lost limbs, count? :pDT_Xtremez_32:

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It's all particularly distasteful....

A spokesman for the human rights group, Liberty, said: "In a week when yet more soldiers have given their lives, the idea of covert surveillance being used on those who managed to survive is particularly distasteful.
"It is one thing to use such methods where there is reasonable suspicion of fraud but quite another to do so routinely, without ministerial authority or as a means of deterring legitimate claims.
He called for the MoD to publish its surveillance policy immediately to justify how it complies with human rights standards.

Can't see that happening somehow!

Hot Shoes

Corporal
Perhaps these questionable people (it's hard work not to swear) should pop down to Headly court and tell some poor sod who has no legs and body is covered in scars that they think he is swinging the lead and they are going to investigate him.

Initially thought the same as you, but with careful contemplation I came to the conclusion, maybe it’s not the publicised cases that they are looking at, we all know what sells papers; never could anybody question financial support given to a veteran who has been injured whilst on duty. Maybe what they are looking for, but the papers won't report that, is the malingerer who has never given anything towards the service and is purely on the fiddle.

Odie

Sergeant
Maybe what they are looking for, but the papers won't report that, is the malingerer who has never given anything towards the service and is purely on the fiddle.

I have the feeling it's those twisted socks who are the target, not those with genuine injuries. If so, I have little sympathy for the scrounging feckers who get caught. :pDT_Xtremez_32:

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
It says the tactics have helped stop fraudulent claims and saved millions of pounds of taxpayers' money.
If they genuinely believe that they can fcuk off, and when they get there fcuk off again.

I don't care about the boll@cks rationalisation that they try and legitamise their actions with, they are scum, doing a sh1t job that no right thinking person would do. So like traffic wardens, estate agents and politicians they can shove it up their hoop.

Last edited:

firestorm

Warrant Officer
I have the feeling it's those twisted socks who are the target, not those with genuine injuries. If so, I have little sympathy for the scrounging feckers who get caught. :pDT_Xtremez_32:

Got it in 1.

There are cheat in all walks of life.

he_who_dares_rodney

Flight Sergeant

Totally agree with that
We only have to look through some threads on here or Arrse to see people complaining about airmen / soldiers permanently on biff chits

I see to remember someone in '96 who had been off work for months and was supposedly housebound making a swift recovery when shown a photo of them mowing their lawn

Sadly more people will jump on the bandwagon and try and fiddle the system
You would be suprised at some of the claims that get put in once the no win no fees guys get involved