• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Minhad

Anybody recently been or about to goto Minhad? After any information about the det; info about personal weapon, is it required is the main question, but any good gen would be nice ATM as haven't been given any (welfare, accommodation etc).

Last edited:

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The A1 website is hardly flush with current info, tho the prep signal on it will answer the main question.

But in the spirit of helpfulness, which most seem to lack these days, the OP should have a weapon prepped and held zeroed in the PU armoury in case it needs to be called forward unless the AO says specifically to deploy with weapon.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Two of our lads were there last year, both since posted unfortunately. Their reports were not exactly complimentary about the organisation but that was largely because they had little if any top cover for their section - they were doing the Visiting Aircraft Handling. Hopefully things will have improved because I know one of them raised a report (an AEMS I think) and did follow his concerns up after he got back.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
VAHS at minhad was (still is?) a disaster waiting to happen....

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Thanks mutty, just checked,states 'contact Unit HR Staff' on the weapon front.. Will have to wait till Monday then, unless any goaters have advice.

I was talking about the welfare bit. The weapon question can surely wait until Monday, although I believe Downsizer might have correctly answered it already.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The top cover situation has changed since then, though the place is still far from ideal....

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Why hasn't it been nicknamed "Butlins, Minehead" yet?

Where is the creativity?

The A1 website is hardly flush with current info, tho the prep signal on it will answer the main question.

But in the spirit of helpfulness, which most seem to lack these days, the OP should have a weapon prepped and held zeroed in the PU armoury in case it needs to be called forward unless the AO says specifically to deploy with weapon.

Cheers Downsizer, much appreciated.

all other goaters thanks for the info, looks as if every section has the same problem, 'not enough manpower' nothing documented and a accident waiting to happen. Deep joy!

Stating that an Operating Base is a disaster waiting to happen on a webpage is not helpful or professional. The RAF has several ways to raise safety concerns and everyone will have or is getting briefings to ensure they know about how to raise a safety concern (DAEMS, ASIMS, etc). As a Service of educated aviation professionals, the norm is to raise such concerns formally, even if much time had passed. Www.asims.r.mil.uk is the place to tell people about a disaster waiting to happen, not e-goat.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Stating that an Operating Base is a disaster waiting to happen on a webpage is not helpful or professional. The RAF has several ways to raise safety concerns and everyone will have or is getting briefings to ensure they know about how to raise a safety concern (DAEMS, ASIMS, etc). As a Service of educated aviation professionals, the norm is to raise such concerns formally, even if much time had passed. Www.asims.r.mil.uk is the place to tell people about a disaster waiting to happen, not e-goat.

What happens when all the formal avenues have been exhausted and still nothing has been done about the problems?

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

Thanks. However I raised the issues at the time, what may or may not have transpired since I did that doesn't change my opinion.

FootTapper

Sergeant

It's great in theory. Until the management tell you it's all fine since it's being done for "operational reasons". At which point however much you document it's just covering your own ass for if/when the worst happens.

In the meantime I do think it's good teamwork to give people a "heads up" if they're going somewhere which may have issues unresolved.

To those who have concerns please raise a DASOR report on the ASIMS website, you don't need an account and it will get noticed I assure you! The more information you put the better and you don't have to give your name.