• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Metalheads only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle

LAC
Introduced to METAL in the sixth form common room many many moons ago, lots of AC/DC Maiden and Sabbath but it was Rush that really hooked me. Big Metallica fan since listening to the Black album. Missus hates me getting the Sky buttons as I always head for Kerrang and Scuzz.

Last edited:

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
Introduced to METAL in the sixth form common room many many moons ago, lots of AC/DC Maiden and Sabbath but it was Rush that really hooked me. Big Metallica fan since listening to the Black album. Missus hates me getting the Sky buttons as I always head for Kerrang and Scuzz.

As said before Rush were the catalyst have a very varied musical taste but always find myself reaching for the rock CD's when have got the stereo or car to myself.

uber pikey

Sergeant
Next time you are in the car and in the mood for breaking the accelerator pedal put on AC/DC's Razors Edge. This will make you drive like a complete tw@t, like me.. I transform into Mad Max:pDT_Xtremez_28:

S

Split-Brain

It could have been any one of three that hooked me.

Smoke On The Water by Deep Purple,

Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin,

Paranoid by Black Sabbath.

After that I was lost to all but heavy metal, and spent a fortune feeding my addiction. After getting to know Purple/Zeppelin/Sabbath it was onto Rush, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Saxon, etc etc etc.

All purchased on good old vinyl in the 70's, and in mint condition even now.
A lot were purchased again on CD in later years as my son took the plunge and I wouldn't loan him my priceless vinyl.

But the No.1 all time favourite - AC / DC
Bon Scott or Brian Johnson, both are excellent.
And the guitar work of the Young boys, pure power !!!!

Now I listen to, and ride, HEAVY METAL !!!!!!!

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
Once scared myself sh1tless after hurtling down the M6 at 0300hrs listening to GnR Appetite for Destruction, looked down and was doing 120mph My poor old Vaux Cav SRi never forgave me and was retired not long after.

Who? Me?

SAC
What no Megadeth?

What no Megadeth?

Think mine was Megadeth - Wake Up Dead. From there I dropped down a few metal layers to Iron Maiden and was amazed by Powerslave and earlier albums. Have The Trooper as my ringtone, much to friends annoyance (real word?), and Eddie "Aces High" pic as wallpaper also.

Metallica went downhill a little for me with the Black album, but then I'd moved up through the heavy metal layers by then and was listening to Sepultura, Nuclear Assault, Slayer etc.

Now I listen to all types of metal, Rush to Nuclear Assault, but have never been able to listen to GnR, pure pants in my opinion.

Best song for driving like a madman to................ Breadfan or Whiskey in the Jar (Metallica versions from Garage Days)

M

monobrow

Best song for driving like a madman to................ Breadfan or Whiskey in the Jar (Metallica versions from Garage Days)

And for a real F*ck you moment.... So What?

I am a big Metallica fan, a very big Metallica fan! I've seen 'em live 3 times, got quite a few tab books, even pondered at one point buing an ESP Explorer!! (image below for those who may recognise it...)

EX50_blk.jpg

But settled with an Ibanez RG in Metallic green....

iban-rg270dx-bk.jpg

Also got me a nice little Marshall 30W combo (that has sadly never gone passed 3 on the volume) and some Zoom effects box....

Just when you got kids, playing thrash metal (second part of "One" anyone??) just doesn't cut it! They squeal and whine and whinge that it's too loud! FFS!!! I'm the daddy and they whinge at me!

M

monobrow

Also worth noting that if you have this on your mp3 player DON'T sing out loud when at the gym, you tend to get very funny looks and get asked to leave.

Neither is Die Die Die my darling...... :pDT_Xtremez_31:

Swingwinger

Sergeant
Has to be Black Sabbath "Paranoid" for me and every track on AC/DC "If You Want Blood" album. Saw Metallica at MK Bowl in 1993. Awsome!! Loved them ever since.

airframe doctor

Corporal
First Album...

First Album...

First album I ever bought was Maiden's Number of the Beast when it was released, I was lucky enough to see them at MoR in 88, awesome day!!! Metallica are another band I like a lot. Ride the Lightning has to be the best album they have released, tracks like Creeping Death & For Whom The Bell Tolls still make the hair on the back of my neck stand up, along with Seek & Destroy, One & Sanitarium.
Never see Metallica live unfortunatly, one of lifes regrets I suppose.
Other bands I used to listen to on vinyl back in my youth were Testament, Kreator, Slayer & Napalm Death.
Worst over hyped band that I ever saw has to have been Anthrax on the State of Euphoria tour, early stuff was fantastic, but it was a poor performance and a **** show all round.

MingMong

Warrant Officer
MY big sister (by 3 years) first got me into metal with a coctail of Iron Maiden, Motorhead and Sabbath, amongst others.
She insisted on dragging me to Donington Monsters of Rock in '88 (Iron Maiden, Kiss, Dave Lee Roth, Megadeth, Guns n Roses, Helloween) and from there I was hooked for life, and became a concert addict.

And to TrenchardsLoveSock, there is no such thing as too old to mosh! Just 2 night ago I was at KoKo in Charring cross watching Drowning Pool (check them out if you are a true metalhead and have never heard them) although My sister and I (we still go to gigs together after all these years) were probably twice the age of most of the audience, we still had a great time at an awesome concert.

(A very grumpy MingMong because he had tickets for Breed77 in Bristol tonight and they cancelled :()

43 days till Download festival...I can't wait!

Last edited:

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Rawk!

Rawk!

I've always dabbled in the darker side of things, but the album that really got me going was Maiden's Seventh Son. An astounding collection of tracks that (sort of) tell a story.

Then bought all of their albums... and fave track of theirs... The Trooper!

Got into Mettalica and GnR. Then started to try older stuff (Deep Purple, Led Zep).

Nowadays I listen to everything. When in a serious rock mood I like to revisit stuff like Slipknot, Drowning Pool, Soil, Breed 77.

To remember the fun times it's gotta be Maiden.

Currently wearing out Stonesour's recent album.

For real anger Limp Bizkits 'Break Stuff'. I know that aint real rock but it sort of works.

Sometimes tempted to listen to Rage against the Machine.... especially when the boss is doing a walkround!:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse... PMA rang!

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
Get your hair cut you fcuking hippies!!!!!!

Don't need long hair to be a Metalhead - even Metallica cut their hair at one point.

Monobrow - if you want to rock properly, you need to get yourself a PRS Custom 22 in Amber burst with artist's pack and play it through a Marshall TSL 100 with seperate cab !! It works for me.

TrenchardsLoveSock

Flight Sergeant
Saw Metallica at MK Bowl in 1993. Awsome!! Loved them ever since.

Nowhere Else To Roam, I was there. Fantastic gig apart from the fact that it sounded like someone forgot to turn Dave Mustaine's mic on (although the mix was perfect when Radio 1 played a couple of weeks later).

A mate and I managed to blag our way into the reserved area at the front between the main crowd and the stage by showing our 1250s to the security guys and explaining that we had come all the way from RAFG.

This was a blatant lie as we had actually driven from Halton! Still, whatever it takes (within limits, obviously):pDT_Xtremez_28:

M

monobrow

Monobrow - if you want to rock properly, you need to get yourself a PRS Custom 22 in Amber burst with artist's pack and play it through a Marshall TSL 100 with seperate cab !! It works for me.

You git!

I almost bout a PRS in translucent green, gold hardware, and the vine pearl inlay.....

Was too expensive at the time though and the bloke down Denmark Stret wouldn't knock it down. I envy you! They are awesome guitars!

K

katinthehat

Now why do i feel a Goat band suddenly materialising - a lot of aspiring strummers - and a drummer - just need a few more to offer their talents!!!

B

Buphoonery

Well for me it was Black Sabbath and early AC/DC - Powerage, Let There Be Rock era. I suppose I have to thank the late, great Mr Tommy Vance and his Friday Night Rock Show for kindling the love of rock music that has turned me into the Rock Dinosaur I am today.

W

wgaf

MY big sister (by 3 years) first got me into metal with a coctail of Iron Maiden, Motorhead and Sabbath, amongst others.
She insisted on dragging me to Donington Monsters of Rock in '88 (Iron Maiden, Kiss, Dave Lee Roth, Megadeth, Guns n Roses, Helloween) and from there I was hooked for life, and became a concert addict.

And to TrenchardsLoveSock, there is no such thing as too old to mosh! Just 2 night ago I was at KoKo in Charring cross watching Drowning Pool (check them out if you are a true metalhead and have never heard them) although My sister and I (we still go to gigs together after all these years) were probably twice the age of most of the audience, we still had a great time at an awesome concert.

(A very grumpy MingMong because he had tickets for Breed77 in Bristol tonight and they cancelled :()

43 days till Download festival...I can't wait!
You knackered old f@rt, I was only 12 then.:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Status
Not open for further replies.