• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mental health - it's not something new.

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Following on from the thread about the case of DCAS, Talk Wrench has asked me to start a separate thread about the impact MH has had on our own lives, and how it was dealt with.

Being a humble ex-stacker, I know I haven't been immune from the effects of stress, anxiety and self-doubt. In my case, it was triggered by a 5-year long involuntary separated tour which all but destroyed my marriage. Fortunately, I was posted to a station where I could resume living with the wife and kids, but there was no making up of the five years I missed of the children growing up. The admin side of the air force was totally impervious to my requests for a posting nearer to home - to quote the asshole on the trade desk at Innsworth "It's you that's in the air force , not your family" - something which nearly drove me over the edge.

The hard part was admitting I had a problem and going to the doc. I was referred for counselling at another station's med centre which was established with psychiatric staff. Slowly but surely I was able to get my life in order and learned how to recognise and, more importantly, deal with the symptoms before they got to severe. I've had need to seek counselling a couple of times since I left the RAF and being a veteran, was queue jumped by my GP.

All that said, other events trigger memories of bad times and one in particular stands out is from the days when sympathetic treatment was limited to "Pull yourself together and get back to work".

I was based at 16MU when the Hixon train crash occurred and was sent out as part of the station's response. It was the first time I had ever seen the contents of a human body. I was standing beside the transformer which the train had struck on the level crossing when some wreckage was moved and a red mass slithered down the side of the transformer. it was identified as female due to the clothing. It was unrecognisable as a human being. I spent two days on-site picking up "bits and pieces". After getting back to the station, no counselling given, no asking if I was alright, just "get back to work" . The sights from those two days haunted me for a long time.

Many years later, when I was going to a counselling session, news of the Great Heck train crash came through and those awful memories from Hixon were re-ignited. By the time I got to the counselling session I was in tears. Fortunately, the counsellor was able to calm me down and get me to talk; my planned one hour session lasted three.

It appears to me, that the RAF has moved on in dealing with MH cases, but I'm sure there's still a way to go. If someone feels they are suffering from a MH issue, then the hardest part of dealing with it is to recognise it and ask for help. There shouldn't be a stigma attached to asking for help - after all it may just save a life.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
"It's you that's in the air force , not your family" - something which nearly drove me over the edge.
Shocking to think someone would outright say that in this day and age - but that was the thinking back then.

Many years ago wifey had a miscarriage and I was sent home from work and given some time off. Wifey had no family or friends where we were, so, just the 2 of us.

That same night my boss called me and told me i had to come in to cover a shift.

Never forgiven the RAF for that (neither has wifey!) But i did take away that i would never treat any individual like that. Family first everytime.

I've got my issues that i needed help with, but Gulf War round 1, NI, Basra, Afghan etc - yeah, that will do that to you.

Not ready to share my demons just yet, but respect to you for sharing yours.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
MH is certainly something that has cropped up in a few of my conversations this year. I lost a mate in May (still serving) who unbeknownst to many of us, had been suffering with depression for a few years. Even though during our early days in uniform we had endured many drinking adventures, been to each other's Weddings etc, we gradually lost touch only having fleeting conversations over messenger. Last time I spoke to him F2F was about 8 years ago when I was looking at volunteer drafts overseas.

Sadly, it all became too much for him, he texted someone at work very early O'Clock that he was sorry, before taking his own life. He was found by the RAF Police a few hours later.

I along with others who attended his funeral now feel quite guilty that we could possibly have done something had we known how much he was suffering, but we were all too wrapped up in our own lives.

It if anything further reinforced to me that we big hard warriors need to just be open to talking about the weight that we carry. I'm fortunate to have a loving wife who is one of the most emotionally intelligent people I know, so she has definitely been a plus these last few years with what I've experienced personally. I've also got some solid friends both currently serving, out doing other stuff and civilian who I see regularly enough. Not all I know are fortunate to have that stability, so I now do try and make more effort to check in on people at least.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The shocking statistics around mental health and suicide amongst men are certainly in focus.