• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Med Board

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
[FONT=BlinkMacSystemFont, -apple-system, Segoe UI, Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I have been downgraded for the past 2 years and now been referred to a Med Board next month due to a service caused injury. Having never been down this route before, does anyone know what to expect or have any advice?[/FONT]

[FONT=BlinkMacSystemFont, -apple-system, Segoe UI, Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Dodgy back (not glass back, honest, but a bit fecked). Have been exempt deployment, Fit Test, Guard, Weapons etc and was struggling to walk/stand longer than 30mins. However, was able to get waivers over the last 2 years and have deployed from 1 week - 6 weeks - clocked up approx 4 months per year overseas.[/FONT]

[FONT=BlinkMacSystemFont, -apple-system, Segoe UI, Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Very recently moved into an office based job, just had £10k of courses thrown at me which saw me signing 18month RoS and my 30 yr point is 4 years away. Boss has also written a glowing few paragraphs on Med paperwork stating my limitations are not impacting my role and have turned down promotion Sgt - FS on the last 2 boards, so SJARS are decent.[/FONT]

[FONT=BlinkMacSystemFont, -apple-system, Segoe UI, Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I've also had physio and 2 lots of steriods,the last set of steriods have started to help and i've been able to increase standing/walking to approx 60mins - but running, situps (impact) is a no no. Next step is surgery and fused vertebrae apparently if the steroids don't take :([/FONT]

[FONT=BlinkMacSystemFont, -apple-system, Segoe UI, Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I'd like to stay in as i am learning a new role and work seem to like me :), but i understand and appreciate that i can no longer go outside the wire in the hot and sandy places.[/FONT]

[FONT=BlinkMacSystemFont, -apple-system, Segoe UI, Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]At the end of my med board am i picking up a P45?[/FONT]

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Person who works for me is now non-deployable, had their med board last week and is being allowed to see out their time. 4 years left...

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
I'm currently MLD, so can still deploy - maybe there's hope for me yet!

I've been advised to go in with a positive attitude, IF i want to stay in, or push for discharge and med pension if i want it.

Ta for that.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
I'm currently MLD, so can still deploy - maybe there's hope for me yet!

I've been advised to go in with a positive attitude, IF i want to stay in, or push for discharge and med pension if i want it.

Ta for that.

If you opt to stay in and see out your contract just make sure you get the right Med Cat for your condition. I was downgraded with a hearing problem which became a flight safety issue for my Trade. The W/C on the board basically said, No Falklands but you can do Cyprus and Germany due to Medical coverage, who was I to argue.