• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Med Board - What to expect? Advice?

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
I have been downgraded for the past 2 years and now been referred to a Med Board later this year. Having never been down this route before, does anyone know what to expect or have any advice?

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I went through the process a few years back, and this is how I recall it... it's entirely dependent on whether you're looking at MND or MLD, and whether you're actually any good at your job.You'll go in front of a Doc who'll chat through your records, and make a recommendation. That'll then go to the Board (3 Docs I believe) who will deliberate as to whether you're a keeper or a chucker. If you're a keeper, they'll likely recommend that you're worth keeping if you want to stay (you can state your preferences for staying / discharge etc before this all happens) and so you'll be permanently downgraded to MLD or MND, in line with your condition. They'll also dictate what your requirements are for the RAFFT (ie Rockport Walk, etc). Even if you have elected for a Med Discharge, I believe they can still choose to keep you on regardless - equally, even if you opt to stay in, they can choose to med discharge you. It all depends on exactly what's wrong with you, and how that ties in to your trade requirements, deployability, etc. Usually the manning levels for your trade would also be a factor (if yours were overmanned etc) but I don't think ANY trade is in a position to use that criteria just now.Anyone with a Med background, feel free to tweak / adjust or add to what I've put down, I can only base it on personal experience.

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
I sat in with the wife on hers. If I remember right we sat in with a GP for an interview at Henlow for about half an hour. she had a copy of her Doctors notes and recommendations. Her findings were passed to the Med Board who was a single Wg Cdr. After about 45 minutes we were called into his office and had a good chat about how the wife felt and what she wanted and he made his decision there and then. It was all handled very well and sympathetically. She was placed on immediate sick leave until the official decision came about 6-8 weeks later which is when all the resettlement kicked in. The medical discharge resettlement is also very good and there’s lots of opportunities to do a wide range of courses at Tedworth House or whatever your regional centre is.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Thanks lads, very much appreciated.

I'm at my 25yr point with 5 to push, i know you will be saying 'bang out with the med pension!', but tbh, atm i am doing a great role, getting courses and experience and so would like to remain in.

I'm in a desk based role, can do the job with little to no impact on my working day and wrt deployments i am still doing them albeit i can't see me running around anywhere hot and sandy anymore :(

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Med discharge does not always equal medical pension.

You can be medically doscharged as unfit for service depending on your condition and whether or not service caused it, and NOT receive a med pension.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Went through this with my wife, the medical board process, as others have said, is very professional and respectful.

However, going through the old War Pension scheme was a nightmare and I would guess that the new compensations scheme could be just as challenging. Do not hesitate to contact the TRBL for support and do not trust the mandarins who may try to coerce you into accepting what they want you too. My wife went from non-attributable to nearly full war Pension, and the TRBL put a formal complaint in along the way.

Whilst you want to stay in it will be important that you do not discount your injuries or illness, do not be dismissive, tell the truth and ensure that it gets agreed and goes on your notes.

Good luck I hope it all works out for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I'm in a desk based role, can do the job with little to no impact on my working day and wrt deployments i am still doing them albeit i can't see me running around anywhere hot and sandy anymore :(

I'm in a very similar situation, 18yrs done, just waiting on my 22, in a MLD deployable role and a 8-5 desk job. Not worth jumping ship as far as I'm concerned because I would just be throwing money away from my pension pot. Can't see me getting offered LOS30 with my downgrade - not that I'd take it anyway, the way things are going - but whilst I'm still able to do the job, I might as well!

1Referee

LAC
Smilar boat, I had a total knee replacement in 2017, im out in 2020.

Board was very professional and the Gp Capt very quickly said there was no med discharge unless i wanted it. I am MND with 20 months to go, so know the score.
Time to make sure my ducks are lined up ready for next year, loads of WIS courses to do and a wage to steal.
Med pension will follow for a % too.

In short do not fear it, its an open process & you get to see the findings.