• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MCS Phantom F4

P

Pan Warrior

name

name

Lobby1234 said:
I Knew kate and her hubby John well (We were at leuchars and wilders together) Last I know they are still living at a village (Forgot name) maybe near the scottish ex phantom base. I worked with kate in ASF with skeno all those years ago.
what was kates surname and the surname of the person she married i was on 111 sqn same time as them with charlie george terry mick charlie 4 eyes
pm me if you dont want otheres to see:pDT_Xtremez_34:

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
tonibaloni said:
happy days,
I did 8 years on MCS, proper tecchies in those days. Was at Leuchars from 84-90 including spells in MCS bay, ASF, 43, 111 and 23 daaan saaaaaaf. then posted to 74 at Wattashame. tiger tiger tiger ra ra ra !
was on the last ever ever toom detachment in the RAF, a two week **** up to Bodo, they were scrapped on return.

Did that Det too - fantastic!

J

JetLaverick

Being ex plumb on 19 and 92, and 2ac knew a lot of MCS you could tell them by their dice to see which box to change.
My favorite MCS guys were the ones who could change a bit box with the seat pan fitted, only one that I can remember lol, was in the 70s early 80s

J

JetLaverick

I'm sorry Phixer girl but I never worked first line mk 1s and this bloke was a cpl on 19 sqn when we first started, he used to be on 31 before that and these were all FGR2s

J

JetLaverick

Used to have fun Friday late in RAFG when loading weekend spare, fails tuning need a rob from aircraft next HAS so we run next door to nick the box and change it, fully loaded a/c, then tell control what we need, made it quicker lol

J

JetLaverick

PG I know we all used to get on, I was man 1 otrs and had a lot of MCS on our teams so we could complete tunings etc before aircrew arrived but believe me this guy could change bit boxs on Mk 2s not all of them but as I said I never worked first line Mk 1s so it was imposssible for me to witness a Mk 1, I will remember his name soon, and believe me he was no small guy either, I spent 12 years on Phantom mk 2s

J

JetLaverick

No Marie you may be correct as well because 43 never had Mk 2s only 1s 111 had FGR2s until NAS 892 and PTF closed then they transferrred to 1s, I was at Leuchars 73 to 75 and 77 to 81, did Cyprus dets with 43 and 111
Graham

J

JetLaverick

Agree PG, the only thing with MK 2s was they also had abattery around there, behind the bit box I think, seem to remember taking more seatpans out for battery changes than bit box changes lol

G

gemarriott

seat pan jobs, battery, ptr, pair, trio, bitbox and fod. that I rmember.

J

JetLaverick

The joke when I was leaving 19 in 1977 was that I'd get posted to Brize to take seats out of VC10s cos we'd taken so many out.
Biggest mistake was going to the wrong has and taling the rear pan out of something like 496 instead of 896, quickest fit you ever seen as crew were walking lol

Lamptramp

An ex-DF - in dog rescue!
Agree PG, the only thing with MK 2s was they also had abattery around there, behind the bit box I think, seem to remember taking more seatpans out for battery changes than bit box changes lol

Mk2 Battery was to the right of the righthand footplate or rudder pedals on a two-sticker; the No2 Circuit Breaker panel had to come out.

I used to do it without disconnecting the CBP which saved about four hours of refit checks.

FYI I did once get a battery out without removing the seat pan. Great I hear. Unfortunately, there was no way on earth you could get the £$%^*!!! thing back without whipping it out.

Showing my age again - The batteries were taken out when the birds arrived and the plug taped up. This was for about a year as the ground leckies didn't have any way of servicing alkline batteries in those day. I was the first to ever fit a battery! It took two days as we had forgotten how we had taken them out! The last change I did took 11 minutes - start to finish.

Last edited:
battery

battery

only ever needed seatpans out for battery changes on twin sticks found it far easier seatpan in, did the last 3 years on 19 at wilders as a jet check checking liney.:pDT_Xtremez_30: :pDT_Xtremez_30: best tour of my career.

denthemen

CAMRA Researcher
I Knew kate and her hubby John well (We were at leuchars and wilders together) Last I know they are still living at a village (Forgot name) maybe near the scottish ex phantom base. I worked with kate in ASF with skeno all those years ago.

First met Kate in 77ish at Tossford. They do both still live locally and if the skeno you are talking about is "Scrotebag S****" of 19 Fihgter Sqn fame (not a typo - I meant it!) - he now lives just down the road from me!!!:pDT_Xtremez_28:

T

Tooth Fairy

Does working for 4 years in the 3rd line AWG11/12 antenna bay at 30 MU count?

I even remember the bloody part number of the Phase cable 515R320G01 cos I changed that many. What were you guys on the line doing to them?

Whilst we are on the subject, that who was it who sheared a bolt holding one of the resolver brackets onto the gimbal assy, carefully removed the plate & filled the hole, sprayed the filler grey and then carefully glued the bolt head back on the bracket! 10/10 for inginuity....1/10 thinking we might not spot it!

Ah, those were the dayzzzzzzzzzzz!