• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MCS Phantom F4

Lobby1234

LAC
Any Ex Phantom MCS techies out there. Ooops I think ill change
the 4A2 for irritable PD birds syndrome. (If you understand that you know what I mean)

G

gemarriott

Lobby1234 said:
the 4A2 for irritable PD birds syndrome. (If you understand that you know what I mean)

So long as the fnucking bit box thingy worked I was happy

you can keep your birdies in PD, a quick tap with a rubber mallet, 4a2 reseated:pDT_Xtremez_14:

G

GTFPDQ

You used a rubber mallet, luxury. All we had was a GS screwdriver and a short wheelbase landrover. There were more boxes fixed by L/R than anything else. MUTS was the pits though, usually had to run it 4 or 5 times cause the sooties couldnt keep their engines oil free. Always hated walking into the soft and saying either the BITBox or 11 were "suspect" and the armourers went through the seat pan out/in or worse still seat out. I will say that 92s B-Shift plumbers were great. Great days.

Just remembered a Flt/Lt nav, who was adamant one day that he had seen one or two birdies in Pulse. The fact he knew that things werent right was because he could lock-on to them within so many nms. Now this was Deci, we were flying with and against Hawks....... Would have loved to stick him on the Deci wall for prosperity.

Last edited:
P

Papa

Lobby1234 said:
handbag swinginging mincers weren't you all? Pulled the Radar out on a rail and T*atted each board in turn until the chirps and birdies came back to life! I was at Wattisham yesterday, what have they done to the place..........could have cried.

Long live the firebirds:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Lobby1234

LAC
MCS Mincers

MCS Mincers

At least our handbags were calibrated and accurate to 10lbs per square inch hitting power. Drop the engine our rear horns are knacked.

G

gemarriott

Papa said:
handbag swinginging mincers weren't you all? Pulled the Radar out on a rail and T*atted each board in turn until the chirps and birdies came back to life! I was at Wattisham yesterday, what have they done to the place..........could have cried.

Long live the firebirds:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Flaming singeing chickens, Red Eagles for ever huurrah:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Not been back to Wattashambles since 1983 when we drank the Sqdn teabar money away in the terrapin prior to disbanding for the move South.

Wish I could still nip up to Jim's for a pint at supper or at knock off on a Friday.:pDT_Xtremez_14:

T

tonibaloni

happy days,
I did 8 years on MCS, proper tecchies in those days. Was at Leuchars from 84-90 including spells in MCS bay, ASF, 43, 111 and 23 daaan saaaaaaf. then posted to 74 at Wattashame. tiger tiger tiger ra ra ra !
was on the last ever ever toom detachment in the RAF, a two week **** up to Bodo, they were scrapped on return.

Lamptramp

An ex-DF - in dog rescue!
Nice to see you new boys can remember your AWG12s.

I remember when XV395 crashed (the first ever F4 prang) from the OCU, it was sporting fully solidstate radar. - the inventory holder was well miffed when his precious lump of lead ballast shot out of the radome in impact. .... and that didn't chirp!

JBH
the F4 LampTramp

G

gemarriott

jbh@jbh.org.uk said:
Nice to see you new boys can remember your AWG12s.

I remember when XV395 crashed (the first ever F4 prang) from the OCU, it was sporting fully solidstate radar. - the inventory holder was well miffed when his precious lump of lead ballast shot out of the radome in impact. .... and that didn't chirp!

JBH
the F4 LampTramp

I remember when 23 lost one in the North Sea the inventory holder was a fellow plumber. I believe it had on board 2 centrline tanks, a gun, 4 fletchers and at least half a dozen i/b pylons.

strangest job I had on the tombs was disarming the same aircraft 6 months after the crash. The navy had dredged up some bits from the botom of the oggin including the pylons. decidedly dodgy state those cartridges :pDT_Xtremez_42:

Lamptramp

An ex-DF - in dog rescue!
gemarriott said:
I remember when 23 lost one in the North Sea the inventory holder was a fellow plumber. I believe it had on board 2 centrline tanks, a gun, 4 fletchers and at least half a dozen i/b pylons.

strangest job I had on the tombs was disarming the same aircraft 6 months after the crash. The navy had dredged up some bits from the botom of the oggin including the pylons. decidedly dodgy state those cartridges :pDT_Xtremez_42:

My Inventory was on the Atlantic Conveyor - and I was on Buccs at the time :pDT_Xtremez_42:

S

Squashed

I did 5 1/2 years in Wattisham's MCS bay straight after my DE's course. Looking back now it was great to work on proper electronics however I remember it being incredibly frustrating at the time. Bay servicing the 4A1, 2 & 3 on the PD bench was a right tw*t - really good fun when the sqn blokes had changed them on spec!:pDT_Xtremez_35:

Papa said:
I was at Wattisham yesterday, what have they done to the place..........could have cried.

What have they done to it? Do tell. I spent the last five yeras in the mob there; left in 1990.

gemarriott said:
Wish I could still nip up to Jim's for a pint at supper or at knock off on a Friday.

Ahh, Jim's. Free beer tomorrow. Everyday. Proper pub with a real British pub name - none of your 'Flamingo and Firkin' or the 'Rat and Handbag' nonsense.

G

gemarriott

Harry_R_Jumpjet said:
What have they done to it? Do tell. I spent the last five yeras in the mob there; left in 1990.

Ahh, Jim's. Free beer tomorrow. Everyday. Proper pub with a real British pub name - none of your 'Flamingo and Firkin' or the 'Rat and Handbag' nonsense.

Jim's hands shook so badly if he was the only barman you asked for a half in a pint glass:pDT_Xtremez_42: I spent almost as many hours behind the bar the last 6 months I was there so Jim could play dominoes. Best Jim's story was going to early lunch at 11, the draymen arrived at 1145 and blocked us in the carpark till 1400. Phoned my boss to tell him we were blocked in and he said fine, get back when you can. Phoned him again at 1400 and he said put someone on the phone who can speak English. we couldn't find anyone we were too pished to talk, he told us to stay where we were as we were nofecking use to her Madge and so we did as we were told. Got sent to hell the next day when we finally did go back.

S

SPECCIE t**t

Lamptramp said:
My Inventory was on the Atlantic Conveyor - and I was on Buccs at the time :pDT_Xtremez_42:

A little bit before my time but I do remeber working with some one who had to account for all the stuff that went missing during the Falklands. By the time they had finnished the Atlantic Conveyor was overloaded so much she shouldn't have got out of habour

P

PHIXER GIRL

Ah yes. I remember the wine glass and straitline birdies. That coast thru MBC thingy and all the other jargon. Best of all was getting choked to death on diesel fumes in 43 hangar when the houchins were all labouring to max smoke. YMCS?

PG. XX.

G

GTFPDQ

Just wanted to add the infamous Twang as the worlds best MCS techie. Followed him from 43 to 92. I remember when the rule on 92 was if it came back from rects as NFF - the Much Change Something card was played by the Jengo.
So Jengo asks Twang, "What LRU are you going to change?"
Twang replied "Im just going to change the 1"
Jengo "And what 1 will that be?"
Twang "LRU 1, Sir"
Jengo "How long will that take?"
Twang "Oh about one and a half days and about a week to test the system, that okay sir?"
Jengo...... just turned around and walked away, mumbling "Put it down as a NFF!!!"

P

PHIXER GIRL

I remember Twang as well. The things he got up to was usually very naughty or very stupid - rest of the time he was just naughty and stupid. Normally found drunk in 92's block bar with his sidekick Phil S

I saw him once put his mouth completely over a whole pint of beer then down it in a oner without using any hands. Wonder where the monster is lurking now.

Mind you he was not the only nutter because the squadrons were full of psychos staggering about with a bottle of wobbly in one hand and a spanner in the other. I was of course well behaved at all times ----- honest.

PG. XX.

G

GTFPDQ

Im starting to wonder if I know you PG. I was in the Twang/Phil S drinking club, while they were still both around. A few days before Twang was clearing for his next posting (cant remember where) we had a drunken fight outside the block. He managed not to duck on several occaisions and I cut him just below his bottom lip. Scrap over, we went back into the bar, I got him a wobbly and he promptly dribbled it from the cut. Took him to the med centre, stitches in and out and back to the block, more beer.

Somehow I never quite seen him for a couple of days, until he cleared 92, when all I heard was, "Cxxxe* am gonna get ye, ya b@stard" As you can tell I have since moved to Canada and assumed a new nick to protect the innocent.

*Nick with witheld so I dont get called a w@nker too much. Went through a patch of pulling packs with the IFF cables still attached.

P

PHIXER GIRL

Hi GTFPDQ

You might well know me but I doubt it - very elusive you see. I used to sneak in and out the block in the wee small hours - if you know what I mean. We never got caught. Occasionally ?%#" would show me the bodies lying gassed with half shaved heads or eyebrows. All you guys in that block were crazy except one or two.

A few blokes used to fancy themselves a bit much but my friends told me they were actually never up to the job. Far too much wobbly in thier flibby flobby. Never mind guys.

So. Tell me about Canada sweetie. Do you hunt bear - no - wait. I bet you hunt beaver. Always keep your gun loaded cause you just never know who or what is round the next corner.

PG. XX.

G

GTFPDQ

No I dont hunt bears, that would be easy. My hunting is confined to tracking down english speakers so I can buy stuff. Being of Jockanese extraction, trying to speak french sounds more like "wibble oui, wibble non, wibble...... oh fcuk it!"

There was a guy on 92 (we shall call him BB) who really suffered at the hands of others waving electric razors and malicious drunken grins. Thankfully, I managed 4 years with both my eyebrows, tache and hair intact.

Anyway good times.

Did you know Kate S in the bay? Ive been trying to get in touch with her.