• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Loss of X Factor

Captain Kirk

Corporal
I had a chat with what I hope is a complete bullsh1tter today, and I really hope it's bravado and b0llox.

I'm out and never lost any of my med cat, so never went anywhere near the non deployable loss of X factor nightmare.

Is that a real thing, where the X factor is lost when someone is permanently downgraded? I have heard the stories but thought them just bar talk.

The interesting chat today was from a gleeful aviator type on their PAS system, totally downgraded, still PAS and no loss of X factor because of the PAS umbrella. Probably tosh, but it would be interesting to know if X factor really does get taken (not FTRS, but for medical downgrades), and if so is it true that aircrew are protected from that.

I'm a little sore that I saw a Cpl lose £800 for misplacing his weapons on Ops, when a Flt Lt got a talking to for the same offence (weapon found and handed to a TCW Sqn Ldr).

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
X factor is part of the pay agreement that an individual and the RAF both signed up to so removing it from a permanently downgraded person would be legally and morally wrong.

There are people with a permanent downgrade who transfer across to FTRS and I am led to believe they lose the X factor in that scenario although I could be misinformed.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
why shouldn't you loose part of the X factor if your non-deployable? under NEM people are doing just that for limited deployability.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
why shouldn't you loose part of the X factor if your non-deployable? under NEM people are doing just that for limited deployability.

Using that logic, should any serving female who falls pregnant also forego the X factor portion of their pay?

Should someone undergoing treatment for a cureable ailment also take a pay cut?

Should those who have been downgraded and who are facing career ending decisions be kicked in the teeth by adding a pay cut to their already shattered plans?

There's plenty of people who will never deploy so should we cut their pay as well?

unruly1986

Sergeant

FFS what is it with this race to the bottom? We should be supporting each other and asking for better financial rewards for deploying, not chastising those that (for the majority) are ill/injured through no fault of their own.

For info, I’m MFD, not downgraded, etc.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
X-factor is to do with numerous factors of military life, not just deployment. And even if someone is MND, that doesn't mean they can't deploy - it just means that they can't deploy overseas. There are several deployments within the UK that MND personnel can be sent on.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
X-factor is to do with numerous factors of military life, not just deployment. And even if someone is MND, that doesn't mean they can't deploy - it just means that they can't deploy overseas. There are several deployments within the UK that MND personnel can be sent on.
So if you get pinged for a 4 month OOA with 6 days notice because not 1 but 4 leg irons decide they have a twisted sock and don't want to go should they keep their X Factor?

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
So if you get pinged for a 4 month OOA with 6 days notice because not 1 but 4 leg irons decide they have a twisted sock and don't want to go should they keep their X Factor?

Remove their X Factor for the period that they should have been away, three consecutive 'twisted socks' leads to services no longer required.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
If they have a genuinely twisted sock then RAF Med should be looking at them for a permanent downgrade and / or discharge. If their socks are only temporarily twisted then they'll stay at the top of the DWR list and deploy as soon as practical. So they'll either either be moved to the MLD / MND pool or they'll piss people off but deploy later anyway.

They shouldn't lose X factor because, as I said before, X factor is not solely based on deploy-ability.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
They shouldn't lose X factor because, as I said before, X factor is not solely based on deploy-ability.

Precisely. X factor takes into account the exigencies of service. I don't ever recall being paid overtime for all the unsocial and extra hours spent generating aircraft for our crews to fly.

Outside of the wire I get time and a half for overtime and double time should I choose to work on a Saturday or Sunday. Now that's what I call X factor.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Precisely. X factor takes into account the exigencies of service. I don't ever recall being paid overtime for all the unsocial and extra hours spent generating aircraft for our crews to fly.

Outside of the wire I get time and a half for overtime and double time should I choose to work on a Saturday or Sunday. Now that's what I call X factor.
Look at you using a word I had to google!