• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Leaving the RAF? Your experiences with resettlement.

Resettlement. Any good?

• Fantastic service.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Waste of space.

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
What's the general opinion on CTP and resettlement?

Any good experiences? Any bad experiences?
Does it provide value to the soon to become a civvie serviceperson?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Nice to have some days off but the courses on offer and support provided is probably aimed at those that need help rather than self starters.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Went to see the Education Officer who I knew from when he was an SAC, I already had a job so asked him for a bit of advice and armed with that advice I offered my services to a locally owned and well known electrical retailers in Northallerton as an odd job man with the pretence of learning domestic appliance repairs.

I had a glorious 4 weeks with the delivery driver / installer (was actually a good mate from my local) driving around North Yorkshire delivering and installing all the home electrical products that they sold and got £100 each week cash in hand to help pay for my 'refreshments' during the week.

Hot Shoes

Corporal
My CTP resettlement advisor was a waste of time, only interested in ticking boxes; as soon as I found a part time job not paying enough to live on she dropped me.
On the flip side I did 3 courses at Aldershot and they were fantastic, I got more from them than was advertised. One of my instructors arranged some extra training and I got accreditation of value that I wasn't expecting.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
My CTP resettlement advisor was a waste of time, only interested in ticking boxes; as soon as I found a part time job not paying enough to live on she dropped me.
On the flip side I did 3 courses at Aldershot and they were fantastic, I got more from them than was advertised. One of my instructors arranged some extra training and I got accreditation of value that I wasn't expecting.

What gave you the impression of box ticking?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I found it a painless, helpful process I have no complaints at all at how my resettlement was organised and handled. Got the job I was after, moved house, spent time at home with the kids and chilled into civvy street. Take ownership of your resettlement from the start you only get one shot at it make it count.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Once upon a time, I was oblivious to learning and getting qualifications, however all that changed once I got my 3rd and started listening to the other old sweats who had done bugger all and were leaving without any qualifications. I spent the last 10 years of my career avidly collecting any course I could that may be of use to me at a later date. Short Uni Courses in Change Management were a particular favourite.

I used my SLCs to get a C&G in plumbing - that has paid for itself multiple times over with jobs around the house.

I used my ELCs to fund a degree and to get myself CIPD qualified. Although not an HR manager, the stuff I have learned from that gives me an advantage at work over folk who think they know stuff but don't.

For resettlement, I got all my lorry licences, ADR, Forklift & Crane ticket for the princely sum of £60. It paid for itself on my 3rd day of leaving the RAF when I was driving a truck for B&Q.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
It's over 20 years since I was demobbed so i can't really comment on the modern process but I would echo TB's comment about taking ownership. Take every opportunity that is available to you - every course, every qualification, every work experience day. The service has had you, body & soul, for the last x years this is the time for you to start having your time for your future.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I spent the last 10 years of my 25 on the hunt for anything to bulk out my CV...That CV was written with the help of Bitburger (of the Goat) and it got my my first job at BAE on leaving...Subsequently I saw a number of CVs pass my desk at BAE that were the product of resettlement workshops and they were awful...luckily I know a deal of the TLAs and could give them the benefit of doubt.

I didn't use the resettlement services as when the opportunity arose I had 7 weeks to talk the mob into releasing me, move to another part of the country, find schools etc etc. If I'd have had more time I probably wouldn't have turned down the opportunity to do a few courses but it was what it was.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I'm on the cusp of my last day in uniform and about to embark on the APM Project Management (PMQ) 10 day course which if I'm successful in, will nicely complement the rest of my CV to date.

My CV was a sort of basterdisation between what I had, a bit of CTP and a good dose of salts from Vim_Fuego (Cheers!) which has secured some decent interviews and a position within DE&S for me.

It was only after my first 9 years of being a ramp tramp that I thought there must be more to life than this, so I set my plan to leave at the 22yr point as qualified as possible.

It's working well so far.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm on the cusp of my last day in uniform and about to embark on the APM Project Management (PMQ) 10 day course which if I'm successful in, will nicely complement the rest of my CV to date.

My CV was a sort of basterdisation between what I had, a bit of CTP and a good dose of salts from Vim_Fuego (Cheers!) which has secured some decent interviews and a position within DE&S for me.

It was only after my first 9 years of being a ramp tramp that I thought there must be more to life than this, so I set my plan to leave at the 22yr point as qualified as possible.

It's working well so far.
Pleased you've got something...I'll carved another notch on the edge of my desk.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
My experience of the CTP was garbage, i was looking at coming a few years ago as a Cpl and the archaic Career Transition Workshop really fucked me off with their focus on rank = what job you will get. The workshops themselves were segregated into rank ie seniors and officers will have a better chance in Civvy St than the erks.

Feck, one of my Cpls landed a £40k Junior Cyber Consultant role and recently told me has took the Senior role at £60k - good on him!

The jobs they tailored my CV to and jobs i got sent were security guard and factory work.

I did take away their basic CV and tips, but ultimately the CTP needs a MAJOR overhaul, or at least it did back then.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
My experience of the CTP was garbage, i was looking at coming a few years ago as a Cpl and the archaic Career Transition Workshop really fucked me off with their focus on rank = what job you will get. The workshops themselves were segregated into rank ie seniors and officers will have a better chance in Civvy St than the erks.

Feck, one of my Cpls landed a £40k Junior Cyber Consultant role and recently told me has took the Senior role at £60k - good on him!

The jobs they tailored my CV to and jobs i got sent were security guard and factory work.

I did take away their basic CV and tips, but ultimately the CTP needs a MAJOR overhaul, or at least it did back then.
I suppose it's got to be that way, otherwise they'd have to accept that it's not always the right people that go upward.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
CTP was garbage but found my own route and resettlement paid for it.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
I suppose it's got to be that way, otherwise they'd have to accept that it's not always the right people that go upward.

There were a couple of army lads, a driver and an infantry - guess what they were steered towards? Driving and Security; we are seriously paying people for this advice?

I would not have minded, but they didn't focus on the individual and asked what they wanted. Mind you, it was around the redundancy times, so lots of people must have been going through the CTP. As i said, i hope things have changed.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
There were a couple of army lads, a driver and an infantry - guess what they were steered towards? Driving and Security; we are seriously paying people for this advice?

I would not have minded, but they didn't focus on the individual and asked what they wanted. Mind you, it was around the redundancy times, so lots of people must have been going through the CTP. As i said, i hope things have changed.
Considering the type of individual the Army sucks up, and I’m not talking in the trades, I think they do a good job for this lot on the way out.

If anyone with a trade is dependent on their “expert” advice, then the learning curve is going to be longer than the dole queue.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
I found the experience quite good but I already had a job lined up.

Also Vim's assistance with CV's proved valuable.

My experience was to have a 5 year plan and work towards your planned out date. The Edinburgh Napier one year degree course was a brilliant way to use accredited prior learning to gain a degree in business.

gray

Sergeant
PVR'd with a job. Did the SNCO CTW at Tidworth, which was aimed at Army, They used my CV as an exemplar on how to write one out and get a job.

Some of the briefs (Housing/Pension/Finance were useful though).

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Some of the briefs (Housing/Pension/Finance were useful though).

Agreed. I attended a Housing brief at Catterick. Not because I needed a brief, but my football team were playing nearby and I got to combine a "duty" trip with a footy match!

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Yes, don't get me wrong, giving 12 months notice to an employer and getting resettlement, money for courses and a workshop to ease the transition is amazeballs.

I just found it could be much better.

Also, when i did mine, there was no accommodation and i was put up in one of these for the week: