• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Leatherman or Gerber?

foxOneFive

Corporal
Had a Leatherman since 1984, fine tool. A few months ago decided, to upgrade with both companies. As per, the Leatherman was more expansive but fine tool and the gerber is really a bit rubbish compared? Your Thoughts?

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Leatherman for a basic toolkit.
Gerber for a proper knife.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I had a Leatherman. I'm sure it was nicked (or I might have lost it or it might be in my garage somewhere). Anyway I replaced it with a Gerber for a quarter of the price and the only difference seems to be the quality of the "holster" and like Barch says, the knifes are better.

In summary - Leatherman = leather holster, Gerber = cheap nylon holster.. Now I'm a bit older and wiser I don't see the point in paying for a tool that is designed to last for years under continuous use when a cheaper one will do me for the rare or occasional use it gets.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
bought my last leatherman at Incirlik in the 90s, used it yesterday still sharpe, still rust free..

Had a Gerber, nice action but kept cutting myself, must have it somewhere but can’t find it.

Wobbly_Jon

Corporal
Got both. Bought a super-duper Leatherman with a load of attachments when working in Saudi, still got it and keep it in the tool tray on my old Norton Domi, (great for tweeking when on the road). Got a Gerber from the PX in Al Udeid after the bug out of Ali Al Salem, this is in my tool box and gets used quite a lot as pliers are a better grip and the blade is oh so much better than the L/Man. It's all down to personal choice and how much is in your bank account.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I bought my first Leatherman during a sandy 1995 deployment. I've still got it although it's a little worn out now. I've also a Gerber which was purchased 12 years ago and it's proven its worth many a time during those years.

50/50 for me as both tools have their plus and minus points.

jti

LAC
I've always sworn by L/man, I've never liked the Gerber opening or feel. My wave is like Triggers broom, I send it back to L/man after every det with a bit of a sob story and they replace it every time with a new one, been doing that for the last 12 years!
I don't have a problem with the L/man blade, but if I want a proper knife I have a dedicated folder for cutting - it's usually a Gerber!

FootTapper

Sergeant
I've got the issued EOD SOG tool (with det crimp as part of the pliers)and the compund action plier jaws are fantastic for being able to give a really good squeeze.

I have and had both Gerber and Leatherman too - a lot of the early Leathermans (leathermen?) didn't seem as comfortable to grip with as the Gerber due to the way they folded out

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I have and had both Gerber and Leatherman too - a lot of the early Leathermans (leathermen?) didn't seem as comfortable to grip with as the Gerber due to the way they folded out

I can agree with your summary there. When I mentioned plus and minus points, the Gerber wins for grip comfort when using the pliers because of the design.

On the other side of the coin, I found the precision of the various tools in the Leatherman to be much better quality.

Swings and roundabouts really when it all boils down to multitool brand superiority.

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
My Leatherman has saved many a despatch delay and the mutli tool set has fixed many a late night defect without having to drag the big kit out. Lost my Gerber some time ago.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Just been offered a Leatherman as a reward/gift for doing well in an project...whilst I appreciate the sentiment I cannot drink a Leatherman.

I know I could hawk it once I get it but that's effort man...

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I have both.
My Mk1 Leatherman doesn’t get used too much because it’s generally too small and feeble but has lasted 25+ years. I have found that it’s susceptible to rust too. Prehabs the rivets aren’t Stainless?
My Gerber is tougher and more butch but I find more awkward to use....but it too has lasted a long time . The nylon pocket is crap though.

Grand Prix fanatic..
I have both.
My Mk1 Leatherman doesn’t get used too much because it’s generally too small and feeble but has lasted 25+ years. I have found that it’s susceptible to rust too. Prehabs the rivets aren’t Stainless?
My Gerber is tougher and more butch but I find more awkward to use....but it too has lasted a long time . The nylon pocket is crap though.
Awkard to pull out the staples from your audit reports?

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Just been offered a Leatherman as a reward/gift for doing well in an project...whilst I appreciate the sentiment I cannot drink a Leatherman.

I know I could hawk it once I get it but that's effort man...
I doubt you'd get more beers for a Leatherman than a Swiss Army or a Gerber. However if you take the Leatherman Gift, stick it on Ebay - I'll do the same with my Gerber and we'll compare the amount of ale that can be purchased with the winning bids. Although we'd need to find a place that's open or use Tesco/Sainsburys/Aldi or Lidl as a yardstick. Obviously the winning amount goes to RAFBF or similar.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I doubt you'd get more beers for a Leatherman than a Swiss Army or a Gerber. However if you take the Leatherman Gift, stick it on Ebay - I'll do the same with my Gerber and we'll compare the amount of ale that can be purchased with the winning bids. Although we'd need to find a place that's open or use Tesco/Sainsburys/Aldi or Lidl as a yardstick. Obviously the winning amount goes to RAFBF or similar.
Can you sell something with a blade on it like that? Do they have a blade on them?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
You could probably list a Gerber as a child’s rattle, they sound the same.

Allflapnofly

Corporal
It's gotta be a Leatherman....It's gotta mucho moreo macho ring to it than 'Gerber' which actually sounds a bit like a 3 year old or someone with a speech impediment describing a small furry pet in a cage.....

A personal US purchased Leatherman, a personal magnet and a personal mirror (both magnet an' mirror on adjustable head shiny chrome radio aerial extendable telescopic type stick things)...Oh and also including a small personal Maglite....Which may I add, are all totally irresponsible illegal personal tools and must not to be used anywhere on aircraft. Anyway, it's downright bad engineering practice to even contemplate said items being in one's possession....Although said illegal items would have on occasion been really handy to have on a large hardened aircraft shelter dispersal site.....or somewhere similar....ish.....Like where there's no available transport (golf cart, butcher's bike or otherwise) and you're on a dark 'Middle o' nowhere' huge ferkin servicing ramp.....

Dzus keys?....Never had one....I had two.....

Mustang

Corporal
I bought my Leatherman from the JHQ BX round about 90/91. Still works just fine, although the leather holster has seen better days.
Also bought an el cheapo multi purpose tool for about € 10.00 from a local supermarket, the pliers are better than those on the Leatherman, the rest however is a bit gash.

Grand Prix fanatic..
It's gotta be a Leatherman....It's gotta mucho moreo macho ring to it than 'Gerber' which actually sounds a bit like a 3 year old or someone with a speech impediment describing a small furry pet in a cage.....

A personal US purchased Leatherman, a personal magnet and a personal mirror (both magnet an' mirror on adjustable head shiny chrome radio aerial extendable telescopic type stick things)...Oh and also including a small personal Maglite....Which may I add, are all totally irresponsible illegal personal tools and must not to be used anywhere on aircraft. Anyway, it's downright bad engineering practice to even contemplate said items being in one's possession....Although said illegal items would have on occasion been really handy to have on a large hardened aircraft shelter dispersal site.....or somewhere similar....ish.....Like where there's no available transport (golf cart, butcher's bike or otherwise) and you're on a dark 'Middle o' nowhere' huge ferkin servicing ramp.....

Dzus keys?....Never had one....I had two.....
My leatherman is on my kit list of tools I am allowed to work on aircraft with. In the civvy world. That and my P7 torch are actually the only personal tools my company will allow now!