• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Laugh out loud moment of the day

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
No, the 2nd line says it was agreed on 19 Feb 2016 by European Leaders. It would have become EU Law had we voted to remain. It was the main reason why I voted remain - not because I loved the EU - it was because a deal had already been agreed to stop the migrants who were only coming here for benefits. Instead, they have continued to come over for benefits and will continue to do so for another 10 months.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
If you trust what a European politician says, without looking at what they then go on to do, then I can understand your view point.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
No, the 2nd line says it was agreed on 19 Feb 2016 by European Leaders. It would have become EU Law had we voted to remain. It was the main reason why I voted remain - not because I loved the EU - it was because a deal had already been agreed to stop the migrants who were only coming here for benefits. Instead, they have continued to come over for benefits and will continue to do so for another 10 months.

Further down the article it says this:

After that, the new mechanism would still need to be passed through the normal lawmaking process. That means winning the support of the EU’s Council and the European Parliament.

The European Parliament is not a part of the current deal. It might oppose a change in the law.

If the law is passed, then the European Commission, or EU administration, would have to put a proposal to the Council for activation of the emergency brake in the UK’s case.

The Commission has already stated that it considers the UK would be justified in triggering the emergency brake in “the full expectation of obtaining approval”.

But the Council would still have to give its approval.

And the new rules would also have to be compatible with the EU treaties, as this agreement can’t amend them. So it's possible there will be a challenge to the emergency brake at the EU court at some stage.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Its a moot point now Kryten as we didn't support remaining with an emergency brake and a freeze on benefits, and have now left. I was just correcting Busby on his incorrect statement re Concessions, which I think he sort of acknowledged at post #25.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Its a moot point now Kryten as we didn't support remaining with an emergency brake and a freeze on benefits, and have now left. I was just correcting Busby on his incorrect statement re Concessions, which I think he sort of acknowledged at post #25.
No you weren’t correcting me and krytrons point isn’t moot. Your link obviously focussed on the deal that had been agreed with EU Leaders, not with the EU Council nor the EU Parliament and would need to approved on the basis that it was an extreme event and that it was compatible with EU treaties, which it is not.

We had opt outs before that were enforced through other legislation. At the end of the day leaving the EU was not about migration for most people it was about sovereignty and control, and it was the way that Greece was treated that capped it off for me and made me a leaver.

I understand that living in Lincolnshire you might not not like EU migration, but hay, that’s your beef to have.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Think of this way, instead of having two lots of politicians we can't trust we now have only one lot.
I can't think of any reason not to see that as a win.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
The EU made a decision to not offer any concessions to David C, that decision has consequences. The importance of the project must come first, no matter what the cost, is the EUs primary priority.

No you weren’t correcting me and krytrons point isn’t moot. Your link obviously focussed on the deal that had been agreed with EU Leaders, not with the EU Council nor the EU Parliament and would need to approved on the basis that it was an extreme event and that it was compatible with EU treaties, which it is not.

Make your mind up fella.....

Entropy

Sergeant
That report in the Independent didn't say if he was in an EU queue or a non EU queue.

How much did the EU invest in South Wales as it was/is one of the most deprived areas of Europe. I found it a bit of a shock that the EU was investing in UK projects despite us giving them all of our cash.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
At the risk of sounding provocative, just what is it that we are actually going to accomplish with yet another thread on the EU?

I mean, we know how it's going to end up don't we? JiT, MWD will make the case for the EU, the rest of us will make the case against it, there will be some choice insults, a few pointed barbs, and in the end Downsizer will lock the thread.

Can't we all just agree that all of us, Leaver or Remainer alike, are all equally entrenched and fixed in our views and that there is more chance of Ninje winning "Miss World 2020" than there is of us coming to a common position? And instead of hurling insults at each other we go back to talking about the one thing we all have in common - life in a blue suit?

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
At the risk of sounding provocative, just what is it that we are actually going to accomplish with yet another thread on the EU?

JiT, MWD will make the case for the EU,

Incorrect. We've left. I'm just pointing out Busby's factual inaccuracy about the UK being offered a deal before the referendum.

The thread started out about the "delight" of a black hole in the EU budget - why on earth anyone would find delight at the misfortune, suffering or sacrifice of others is beyond me.

We're all Brexiteers now and apparently we're all one-nation Tories post December 12th. I'm still trying to work out how I should behave as a Tory Brexiteer. However on reflection, perhaps I have some way to go before I can truly be classed as a one-nation Tory Brexiteer.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Incorrect. We've left. I'm just pointing out Busby's factual inaccuracy about the UK being offered a deal before the referendum.

We're all Brexiteers now and apparently we're all one-nation Tories post December 12th. I'm still trying to work out how I should behave as a Tory Brexiteer.

But you see, thats exactly my point - given that you clearly aren't a Tory Brexiteer, with the greatest of respect what purpose does your last sentence serve other than trying to provoke?

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Sorry - I was quoting our Dear Leader who referred to us as "one-nation Tories". Like him or loathe him, he is my Prime Minister just as much as he is yours.

To me, it means we've got to get on and make the best of what the Brexiteers and Tories have voted for. Being a Remain/Labour voter isn't going to affect policy & direction until the 2025 General Election.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Make your mind up fella.....
I’ll dumb it down, the deal offered by the EU was not permissible under current EU treaties And goes against one of the fundamentals of ever closer integration, so wouldn’t have been passed, and if it had been passed it would have been challenged in the courts and more likely than not over turned. Of course this wouldn’t have been confirmed until after the referendum, where people like you, who appear to take umbridge at people being treated fairly and without discrimination, had been conned to vote remain.

Any way Brexit has happened, get over it.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
EU money has changed Liverpool, I doubt we'll see any money coming from central government as there are no votes to be had around here. The Tories loathe Liverpool and Johnson won't be coming near this place. So laugh all you like Ninjarabbi.

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
EU money has changed Liverpool, I doubt we'll see any money coming from central government as there are no votes to be had around here. The Tories loathe Liverpool and Johnson won't be coming near this place. So laugh all you like Ninjarabbi.
You people in Liverpool ‘gifted’ us The Beatles. You deserve everything you get! Or don’t get......