• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Latest Fitness Rumour

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wgaf

So you are suggesting that fitness should be trade specific? Where do we stop? Techies don't do guard, they only fix particular parts of an aircraft? When deployed on ops only RAF Regt and RAFP provide guarding/force protection capability, the other trades can do their shift and knock off to the "recreational area"? As you said, when we had 8000 we could probably have afforded this luxury, today, with manning and ops commitments as it is, we all have to multi task. That might mean that we have to be prepared to carryout tasks outside of our normal expertise. Dare I say that some of these tasks might be physical in nature and require a high level of fitness than required for say a sparky or electrician.
You volunteering to come and fix jets on a night shift then fella:pDT_Xtremez_06:

C

cockneyrock

Hold this chunk of metal against that little pin there.....
RIVET
wanna go of that Cockneyrock ?

Wanna come operate some of the plethora of DCC weapons currently employed by the RAF Regt, Army and RM? I am not denying that your trade is technical, however, you can stag on the gate, carryout low level internal patrols etc just as anyone in the military should be able to.

The "come and fix my jet arguement" is wearing a bit thin, please come up with something new.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
The "come and fix my jet arguement" is wearing a bit thin, please come up with something new.

Reminder....we are in the RAF...that stands for ROYAL AIR FORCE

This entails getting jets into the air...we know all the ancillary trades do a great job but at the end of the day our PRIME objective is as stated.

Crack on..............:pDT_Xtremez_09:

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Wanna come operate some of the plethora of DCC weapons currently employed by the RAF Regt, Army and RM?

You would let a civvy play with your bangy things ? wow :pDT_Xtremez_17:

We fix jets, you shoot them, where's the argument ? As long as you're not shooting the jets we're fixing we're good right !!

Max

Sergeant
The Churchill argument is Null and void I'm afraid and I'll explain why :)

Firstly he was quoted from 1940 when the risk of invasion was high and every man woman and child would have been expected to help. By 1941 the risk had lessened and the groundcrew had to concentrate on fixing Aircraft if they got back at all. So what did he do then? yes the RAF Regiment was formed so as to allow the groundcrew to get on with their real jobs. In those days afterwards the Regiment were used as an extra Infantry unit and carried out all sorts of fighting (Not juust in the Bob) So there you go Shut up and get guarding you underachiever :pDT_Xtremez_30:

S

scaleywife

I would like to point out that this thread has gone seriously off Topic.... I mean, can you imagine Churchill passing the new FT?

A

alberts nose

Back on topic.

on the old fitness test the 17 year old girlies had to achieve the same as the knackered 40 year olds. Under the new plan the target has gone up for both males and females. They now have to achieve one more shuttle run than a 55 year old and the sit ups and pressups are about the same.

AN

Shinyscot

Corporal
I personally can see the new fitness tests fail miserably. People simply aren't fit enough (me especially), it seems to be extremely ill thought out, all tht is going to happen is people will either avoid it or fail. Wonder how the stats will read 6 months after inception?

I personally can see the new fitness tests fail miserably. People simply aren't fit enough (me especially), it seems to be extremely ill thought out, all tht is going to happen is people will either avoid it or fail. Wonder how the stats will read 6 months after inception?

6 mths ? - I think its going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

What has been missing from any preceding formulae on this thread (walking to/from Gym's etc) are the amount of injuries that might (will) be sustained just through 'normal' PT

I'm the oldest, fattest and definitely the ugliest in my office but possibly the best candidate for passing any future fitness test at the moment

All my younger thrusting compadres are 'in dock' with all manner of sports/fizz related injuries ....on crutches ...trapped nerves ....sprains etc

A bunch of doillies the lot of em' - but then still non-effective ...or as effective ...oh yeh, and guess who gets to stand in and run their desk?

...So anyhow ..... what I think I'm saying is, unless all this upcoming PT is going to be 100% supervised by the 'club swingers' then best the med centre start stocking up on supplies!

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
We now have our very own Sqn PTI, but she can only use the gym for one session a week (1330 - 1500 on Mondays), can take a maximum of 16 people either for a run (4 miles max) or circuits (mats and bodyweight are the only equipment permitted). Now my Sqn is pretty small in terms of manpower (150 in total), which means I can do organised PT once every 10 weeks on average. So that's OK then.:pDT_Xtremez_21:

C

Captain Gatso

You know folks, I am fairly fed up with this constant (LETS REARRANGE THE GOAL POSTS) for fitness tests. We know, that the cop service. Do a bleep to test to 5:8. They seem to be doing ok. Why do we need to keep changing things at our end. I guess there are people who will welcome another change. WHY. Whats the point. I have passed my fitness test every year. I have always been able to do everything that has been askead of me on detachment, without any problems. What's the diferance between then and now. Is there any. Folks will argue, operational tempo increase, etc, etc. We have all heard it before. However has anyone noticed that they find it harder to do there job, out in theater now. To say a few years ago. I haven't. I cannot see any reason to muck around with the fitness tests. Leave them alone. If facts show, folks are finding it harder to do there job, whilst out in theatre. By all means look again. In the mean time, the current fitness test is working just fine, from my perspective.:pDT_Xtremez_06:

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
You know folks, I am fairly fed up with this constant (LETS REARRANGE THE GOAL POSTS) for fitness tests. We know, that the cop service. Do a bleep to test to 5:8. They seem to be doing ok. Why do we need to keep changing things at our end. I guess there are people who will welcome another change. WHY. Whats the point. I have passed my fitness test every year. I have always been able to do everything that has been askead of me on detachment, without any problems. What's the diferance between then and now. Is there any. Folks will argue, operational tempo increase, etc, etc. We have all heard it before. However has anyone noticed that they find it harder to do there job, out in theater now. To say a few years ago. I haven't. I cannot see any reason to muck around with the fitness tests. Leave them alone. If facts show, folks are finding it harder to do there job, whilst out in theatre. By all means look again. In the mean time, the current fitness test is working just fine, from my perspective.:pDT_Xtremez_06:

That's the key point, i'm the same passed every year without fail with and without injury. When i joined up we were told we were the test flight for the 9:10 level(17-24) and because we passed it seemed to go up, now 10 years later it's almost back to the same level WTF.

150 mins per week

150 mins per week

Told today about the new fitness directive by our Civilian OC. 1 supervised session, 1 section organised session and one down to our own honesty. All to be carried out outside normal working hours and each session reported to our admin office so it can be audited. I wouldn't mind but when valid points were made by one of the assembled hoard the same civvie reminded us that we are paid 24 hours a day. Strike breaking to$$er actually meant it. I have no objection in principle regarding a fitter air farce, especially with the one session under personal honesty being in my own time; but if the airships want this, and I don't think it to extreme to say that it can only be for the good, then meet us half way. My personal feeling is that due to verification problems this will probably go the same way as the OFT in the short term until some one with an ounce of common sense comes up with a workable system. Oh sh!t, forgot who I work for!::/:

When this b######s first came in, I evaded it for FOUR YEARS simply because half my records had disappeared into the ether. When I queried about why I hadn't got the notice for the FT after 1 year (stupid boy!) the PTIs didn't want to know. I thought "OK, see if I care! Probably introduced as a way of keeping the PTIs employed instead of doing their own sporty thing or sitting on their butts in their offices."
Keep it as it is. I'm not doing it any more! Got fed up with covering the for the sporty hombres/sheilas doing sport and getting injured! F###ing T###s!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, really needed to let that out, like very long bout of trapped wind.
By the way, the records saga also happened with GDT about the same time - now THAT was heaven, no GDT for FOUR YEARS! Especially when a certain site with a big bunch of golf-balls had the Ops crews doing it every 6 months, just to keep us current for mobile guard. Amazing that after the 4 years was up, I still had the knowledge to pass GDT test 1st time - probably to do with the cramming-in before then, plus the fact that it hadn't changed much at the time.
::p:

Last edited:

Roobsta

Corporal
Sorry - we're closed

Sorry - we're closed

I can see where this is leading for some sections, they will include the 3 x 50 minute sessions in their 'normal' working week and there will be more notices on doors around the station...'Sorry, we are closed because we are all down the Gym'. So being a shifty it will be even harder to get 'stuff' done inside 'normal' working hours.

Dental Centre at Marham do their 3 sessions all in a oner - on Friday afternoons - only coz that's with the low staff levels they can't do it all together at any other time. 3pm Friday stack anyone? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.