• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Latest Fitness Rumour

Status
Not open for further replies.

ED-SET

LAC
Fitness tests TWICE a year .

Increased fitness levels . (Old Rumour)

Mandatory 3 x 50 minute sports period per week .

Flt Cdrs to be responsible for making it work.

No Duff!

Brilliant......theres people higher up the food chain getting friggin paid to think of things like this.

Studley dangerfcuk

Flight Sergeant
Fitness Test, lost me on that one. Is this a new thing the farce is bringing in these days.

Been so long since I done it, seems like a bad 4 letter word to me.

By the way, while were talking about fictional things. Who is this Gym fella.

Studley :pDT_Xtremez_28:

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
They can **** off with the two fitness tests a year, what a load of bollox. Once a year does the job and cannot for the life of me understand the need for 2 per year.

The PT sessions would be brilliant in my opinion, as long as it's maintained throughout the year and people aren't allowed to get out of it for pathetic little excuses.

If you wre allowed to do it as a section it would stop people from skiving and encourage a bit of competition.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no sport billy but if they want us to pass a fitness test on a yearly basis they need to provide us with some time to do it. Some sections do not have time to do it and before some of you kick off telling me otherwise then your very fortunate to work on a section that does allow you time to rest your arse and visit the gym.

And another arse covering final comment, I do visit the gym in my own time but if the jobs going to give me time away from work to stay fit then I'm all for it. Anyone remember the days when Wednesdays used to be sports afternoons where we used to go and play footy/rugby all afternoon?

Studley fella, we have been doing annual fitness tests for about 8-10 years

Last edited:

ED-SET

LAC
I can see where this is leading for some sections, they will include the 3 x 50 minute sessions in their 'normal' working week and there will be more notices on doors around the station...'Sorry, we are closed because we are all down the Gym'. So being a shifty it will be even harder to get 'stuff' done inside 'normal' working hours.

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
I can see where this is leading for some sections, they will include the 3 x 50 minute sessions in their 'normal' working week and there will be more notices on doors around the station...'Sorry, we are closed because we are all down the Gym'. So being a shifty it will be even harder to get 'stuff' done inside 'normal' working hours.
Well the story here is that it will be done in works time which is nice

And our lords and matresses can achieve that by increasing the length of a working day. Oh yeah and if you lengthen each of the 5 working day but only send the oily tics to PT 3 times a week well then you can get a few more hours work out of them too - what a Billy Bonus eh

::/:

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Ed,

Before I start kicking off on this, where have you heard about 2 fitness tests? The Army do a BPFA (1.5 mile run) and a CFT each year, so what you say would make sense if we were still pressing on with our OFT, but no sense otherwise.

We've done the compulsory PT thing to death on here and most of us agree that it's a good idea as long as it is done in normal work time, but few of us believe it will be. It makes little difference to me; if I have to go to the gym during work time, it just means I'll have to make the time up somewhere else.

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Cant see it myself. That works out at 50 mins + 30 changing/travel = 80 mins.

80 x 3 sessions = 240 mins per week = 4 hours.

Assuming an 8 hr productive day = 40 production hours per week.

That means the RAF would need to increase its manpower by 10% to implement this...within the working day.

The only way I can see this ever happening is if its implemented prior to the working day :pDT_Xtremez_17:

ED-SET

LAC
Cant see it myself. That works out at 50 mins + 30 changing/travel = 80 mins.

80 x 3 sessions = 240 mins per week = 4 hours.

Assuming an 8 hr productive day = 40 production hours per week.

That means the RAF would need to increase its manpower by 10% to implement this...within the working day.

The only way I can see this ever happening is if its implemented prior to the working day :pDT_Xtremez_17:

I was gonna say I see your point but actually I can't? 'productive/production/8hours' ..... the answer will be, we will simply work longer hours and be proud to serve whilst humping our asses around the gym before or after our shifts.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
I was gonna say I see your point but actually I can't? 'productive/production/8hours' ..... the answer will be, we will simply work longer hours and be proud to serve whilst humping our asses around the gym before or after our shifts.

Should be interesting on XV where a dayshift week is anything up to 55 hrs!

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

The point is; it wont happen in the working day.

ED-SET

LAC
Should be interesting on XV where a dayshift week is anything up to 55 hrs!

I agree, the majority of personnel working on the operational support of the airfield/flying programme tend to work much longer hours than the guys/gals in the offices. We can't put a sign on the door and say 'CLOSED'.

PTR Hoar

Sergeant
having failed to reach 9-10 last year ( past it now don't worry!) i was dutifully informed by the pt snek that it is our "duty" to maintain our fitness throughout the year and to pass the fitness test, what he couldn't answer me when i asked him was if it is a "duty" then why isn't fitness incorperated into our working week.....he basically said flight commanders should sort it....i personally think it wud be great if i could go down to the gym 2-3 times a week but unfortunitally i have alot of family issues that need my attention when i get home as anyone who knows me would agree with.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Having looked at the new fitness test I see that the fairer sex have to do a full press up just like us gadgies, let's wait for the backlash.
Last year I had to do the same as a 17 year old female. Have been told by my local Ped Staff that the new one will come into effect WEF 1st July but only the shuttles have been agreed, no doubt a female is on the board of ratifications for the sit-up and press-ups

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
I agree, the majority of personnel working on the operational support of the airfield/flying programme tend to work much longer hours than the guys/gals in the offices. We can't put a sign on the door and say 'CLOSED'.

I didn't think this was going to turn into a techie vs non-techie bunfight. We have enough of those and they are not usually disguised as something else. If you like we could compare notes on total hours worked over the last 14 years (or however long you have been in, if it's less). I would bet one of your shiny liney pounds that you are way behind the drag curve.

M

monobrow

Right, I'll stick me neck out on this one...

Remove the AMOUNT of hours spent at work for a tick. The problem for techies at 1st line is that everything is done for a flying programme. For a shiney, you can down tools pretty much when ever, you'll just have the same amount in your in-tray...

Our job takes that flexibility out of the equation as if theres no-one in to fix the jets, the jockeys don't go punching holes in the sky. It's not a case of hours spent at work matey, it's the fact that our working day is dictated to us from on high and it's non-negotiable.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
OK, I can relate to that. So, how do you fit 3 sessions of PT into the normal working week/flying programme? Presumably the aircrew and air tragic would also have to participate, so it can't be impossible.

E

Edzar

(OK, second attempt after podging the wrong button and the screen going wibble!!!)

We were informed a few weeks ago by our flt cdr we'd be doing 2x50 min trips to the gym in works timeas of 01 April.....which is nice.

For those against it....three yrs ago just before going on OPs we (the Sqn) had to do HAT (Heat Acclimitisation Trg) and I have to admit to hanging out my ar$e after the 1st few trips up and down the sand banks of the local beach/golf course! (Mainly just through running TO the sand!)

After the obligatory 6 weeks though, it did make a difference...so much so I managed to get to level 10 on the shuttles at the ripe old age of 37! (Can't do that any more though at age 40!). And I actually managed to survive the October heat in the gulf!!!

I am just dying to see how we are going to meet the new CFT figures with the manning losses and the trips to the gym!

The sooner us guys stop the CFT getting there the better. Perhaps then the airships up next to the 'lord almighty' (apparently) might see the error of their ways. (And up the manning or give HUGE retention bonuses!!!!)

Our problem is we make do and put in that extra effort ALL THE FREAKING TIME THESE DAYS!! We will all end up having heart attacks if we keep this up!
Regardless of fitness training.
So let's get down to the gym and sod the fliers!:pDT_Xtremez_14:

M

monobrow

OK, I can relate to that. So, how do you fit 3 sessions of PT into the normal working week/flying programme? Presumably the aircrew and air tragic would also have to participate, so it can't be impossible.

Air tragic I can't speak for, but for aircrew, generally there are far more crews than are flying, and except for planning and stuff, I don't see they do much more!!! So if they are not flying, then they effectively have a quiet day to get to the gym.

It's a lot different for those looking after the planes than the ones flying them!

E

Edzar

Air tragic I can't speak for, but for aircrew, generally there are far more crews than are flying, and except for planning and stuff, I don't see they do much more!!! So if they are not flying, then they effectively have a quiet day to get to the gym.

It's a lot different for those looking after the planes than the ones flying them!

Having recently spent time on a GR4 unit in SLOC, this is not the case. The Sqn Ldrs ensure these young fliers are kept busy I can assure you! Quite often just recovering a diverted jet cos the S/Ls dont wanna go to Leu again!!!:pDT_Xtremez_31:

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
well, i have waited for an air test over 3 hours when at TASF because the airtest crew were at a mess dinner!!!! every one worked their feckin balls off to get that jet ready!!!!! we could of gon down the gym for alt least an hour and still have been back

Status
Not open for further replies.