• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lancaster on her way home

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
How nice for the people of Coventry. Get posted to Conz, you can see it every day. I even get private displays over the beer garden of my local.

M

mad_mo

There was something in the news about two brothers restoring a Lanc sometime back, is this Lanc connected to it?

G

grumpyoldb

There was something in the news about two brothers restoring a Lanc sometime back, is this Lanc connected to it?

Thats a different one, MM.
Those two are farmers who's brother was aircrew and got killed in action.
They've restored it in his memory.

K

katinthehat

Saw her coming home - made me smile, as she always does!!
Good to have her back and - from all accounts - looking better than ever!!!

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
This is your "farmers" private lanc, only taxi's as far as I know. Think you can get a go in it on certain dates.

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/profile.cfm

Heard they are trying to get it airworthy, wouldn't surprise me if the MoD/RAF/BBMF have cut a deal with the CAA though, but can you imagine 2 Lancs in a flypast together???

WOW!!!!!

Only seen the BBMF once, Finningly in the 80's, will never forget it.
Was on VASS at Aldergrove when they were supposed to be flying in to perform at the Newtonards Air Day, they were 10 mins out when they called off due to high winds, what a load of guff, it was a lovely calm day and I was supposed to be seeing the Lanc in, GUTTED!!

M

Mrs_Monobrow

Always makes me tingle to hear the low roar of her engines as she flys over. Beautiful sight!

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Try walking past the hangar when they are doing am engine test. They're only idling and still you find yourself walking horizontally. Incredible machine.

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
Heard they are trying to get it airworthy, wouldn't surprise me if the MoD/RAF/BBMF have cut a deal with the CAA though, but can you imagine 2 Lancs in a flypast together???

WOW!!!!!

Only seen the BBMF once, Finningly in the 80's, will never forget it.
Was on VASS at Aldergrove when they were supposed to be flying in to perform at the Newtonards Air Day, they were 10 mins out when they called off due to high winds, what a load of guff, it was a lovely calm day and I was supposed to be seeing the Lanc in, GUTTED!!

'Just Jane' was on the gate at Scampton last time I saw her when in the back of my parent’s car on the A15 back in 82 (along with three bombs (Upkeep (bouncing bomb), Tallboy and Grand Slam, which I think are now at ISL). There is a civilian Lanc flying in Canada, and many a plan has been put forward to get her over here to do a fly past with City of Lincoln, however the Canadian one has bigger limits on its flying Hours than our one has and its only been outside Canada to air shows in the northern USA. It was the effort to get 'Just Jane' airbourne in the late 60's that lead to 44 Sqn doing the work on PA474 at Waddington to get the aircraft airworthy and lead to its transfer to the BBMF at Coltishall in the early 1970's

we used to drive passed scampton going on holiday when i was but a we brat
one year my parents organised a surprise visit to scampton where i was alllowed to clamber inside the lacaster on the gate before spending time watching the mighty Vulcans doin circits happy days

B

Buphoonery

Was great to see her, and hear her in the skies above Coningsby today - welcome home.

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
Scampton's Ex Gate Guardian was actually S for Sugar which is now on display at Hendon

Maybe so, but it was at Hendon in the 1970's in the main museum hall (before the Bomber command hall was built) as I saw it there in 1975/6 when I was a kid. There was most definity a Lanc on the gate at Scampton in 1982 and it was not S for Sugar.

K

katinthehat

Without wishing to repeat myself - just been watching it on News 24......... what a beautiful old lady she is.
So jealous of you lucky guys there today!!
I was getting so many texts rubbing salt into the wound telling me people were out on the grass watching her. Had hoped she might fly this way - but alas! Not as yet!!
Like her new colours though.

sculthorpe

Corporal
'Just Jane' was on the gate at Scampton last time I saw her when in the back of my parent’s car on the A15 back in 82 (along with three bombs (Upkeep (bouncing bomb), Tallboy and Grand Slam, which I think are now at ISL). There is a civilian Lanc flying in Canada, and many a plan has been put forward to get her over here to do a fly past with City of Lincoln, however the Canadian one has bigger limits on its flying Hours than our one has and its only been outside Canada to air shows in the northern USA. It was the effort to get 'Just Jane' airbourne in the late 60's that lead to 44 Sqn doing the work on PA474 at Waddington to get the aircraft airworthy and lead to its transfer to the BBMF at Coltishall in the early 1970's

Do the Ausies have a Lanc?

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
Do the Ausies have a Lanc?

Not an airworthy one, there are two in musuems and there is also one static in New Zealand , however there are 10 taxing replica's being built in New Zealand for the upcoming 'Dambusters' remake (if they haven't already been built). One static Lanc in France and one in the US. Two Static, one Taxing and one airworthy in the UK. The Canadians have the most complete airframes, one airworthy and 7 static, though most of them are Mark 10's built in Canada after the war and used as air sea rescue aircraft.