• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lack of drivers

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
All three parties have hand in this debacle
So do we.

We demanded/liked having most any type of food stuff at any time of the year, no matter how traditionally out of season it was. We also wanted it for a low price and the market conditions (many vendors selling the same things) drove down the margins on the supply chain, including transport. The knock on of that is the preservation of a dividend at the expense of pay and working conditions for those that worked to give us everything we demanded.

Having some shortages running up to Xmas might do our supply chain some good. Pay will have to go up and we'll pay a little more because of it but also it'll breathe life into local economy suppliers. We've already seen it in my area in terms of fish and meat being offered in sufficient amounts to not be labeled 'niche' stepping up and flourishing. We are an entrepreneurial kingdom and others will be watching the early pacesetters, learning and planning their launch for others lines accordingly.

As an aside I asked t'wife to grab some lighters when she was out (can never find one to light a fire). She went to a market where some bloke sold her 7 for £1. They have 'made in china' on them. How the feck can you make a lighter that sells for 14p, that travels for over 8000 miles by truck, ship then truck then probably van, has customs paid on it, has to be stored at several points on that long journey and attracts VAT still make any money for the Chinese lighter manufacturer if the rest of the chain (including haulage/drivers) involved isn't cut to the bone as well?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
How the feck can you make a lighter that sells for 14p, that travels for over 8000 miles by truck, ship then truck then probably van, has customs paid on it, has to be stored at several points on that long journey and attracts VAT still make any money for the Chinese lighter manufacturer if the rest of the chain (including haulage/drivers) involved isn't cut to the bone as well?
Maybe the Chinese "workers" didn't get paid for their efforts. Still hard to believe any money is made from the whole enterprise unless the volume of production is incredibly high.

From the Beeb https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-22278037

"Human rights groups believe China has detained more than one million Uyghurs against their will over the past few years ................
There is also evidence that Uyghurs are being used as forced labour"

Vushtrri

Sergeant
So do we.

We demanded/liked having most any type of food stuff at any time of the year, no matter how traditionally out of season it was. We also wanted it for a low price and the market conditions (many vendors selling the same things) drove down the margins on the supply chain, including transport. The knock on of that is the preservation of a dividend at the expense of pay and working conditions for those that worked to give us everything we demanded.

Having some shortages running up to Xmas might do our supply chain some good. Pay will have to go up and we'll pay a little more because of it but also it'll breathe life into local economy suppliers. We've already seen it in my area in terms of fish and meat being offered in sufficient amounts to not be labeled 'niche' stepping up and flourishing. We are an entrepreneurial kingdom and others will be watching the early pacesetters, learning and planning their launch for others lines accordingly.

As an aside I asked t'wife to grab some lighters when she was out (can never find one to light a fire). She went to a market where some bloke sold her 7 for £1. They have 'made in china' on them. How the feck can you make a lighter that sells for 14p, that travels for over 8000 miles by truck, ship then truck then probably van, has customs paid on it, has to be stored at several points on that long journey and attracts VAT still make any money for the Chinese lighter manufacturer if the rest of the chain (including haulage/drivers) involved isn't cut to the bone as well?

So do we.

I make my own charcoal in a 17 acre woodland I own work and manage which I give to friends along with seasoned firewood…in the meantime, only 5% of the charcoal the UK consumes is produced here..we even import from Namibia! …and don’t get me started about petrol stations and garden centres selling logs for a couple of quid each..

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
So do we.

The cheaper they are made, because they become a loss earner on the production line after. If you can produce a billion and lose a half a million because the quality is poor it no problem to the chinese manufacturer. Considering they probably have another 5 or more factories producing the same for their own market. Likewise Supermarkets have a similar system on booze, soft drinks, various water i.e. buxton aqua pure highland and ilk. Clothing retailers similar Primark buy from Bangladesh or some of the famous names have a contract with clothing supplier on unsold clothes. Most of the suppliers do not want the goods back even if they are of top quality so they sell via third party i.e. local council markets. I used to work in M+S distribution and for some of the suppliers you be surprised what gets rejected for a simple design error or a loss leader.
Sadly we've educated the mass to buy cheap fast disposable goods for 25 years or more that even the poorer of society could pick up a nice bargain at your humble thrift shop age concern. Not having much money now myself I currently typing wearing my Versace suit under a full crombie jacket a silk scarf pointing windswept outwards to the right. :cool:

You only have to look on websites like Ali or Wish to see products that are £20 on Amazon, selling for 10-50 in a box at less than a quid each.