• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lack of drivers

fourteen2two

Corporal
I am happy being a retired layabout.
I doubt my 4 tonner license from the 70s Harrier Force (QDB H -RAFG) is much use!
We didn't get a UK hgv then.
Our local station had run out of petrol but has lots of diesel, so as the evil diesel suv was getting low it was fed! Our Mini hasn't been used for a while so filled a before the nonsense started. Wife told to use it.
My mate said local Asda filling station hadall fuels. He was in and out in 10 minutes, which is about normal due to it being fairly small.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Seems to be a Southern thing. But as we know if they have an issue we all have an issue. Soon to be 2 inches of snow in Kent and boy will we know about it.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Driving back from a site the other day and diverted into a garage (located in the SE) which had some petrol and no queue, had only just dipped below the half tank, normally wait for the light, however, mother in law is having issues with chemo, so need to keep topped up for an emergency drive.

I hope all these people are storing their petrol cans of E10 petrol correctly, its more hydroscopic so more likely to spoil in our wet weather than previous mixtures.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
Seems to be a Southern thing. But as we know if they have an issue we all have an issue. Soon to be 2 inches of snow in Kent and boy will we know about it.
Find Fuel in Narfalk.. LOL. All the smaller establishments are empty and have been most of the week.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
The shortages will stay the same as the fault is due to the same reason. Those that voted for it, own it. Remember that.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
The shortages will stay the same as the fault is due to the same reason. Those that voted for it, own it. Remember that.
Brexit would just have been an element of the shortage, the protesters on the M25, COVID, BP lighting the flames, drivers stuck elsewhere.

If you are going to blame Brexit for every single issue then it’s going to get a bit tiresome.

The transition away from a low productivity, low wage, low skill, high immigration economy will not be swift or stable but as LGV drivers are finding out there are some upsides.

foxOneFive

Corporal
I don't doubt Brexit has played a small part in this. But for me Covid and Furlough were the main disrupters. People sitting at home for 18 months watching Loose women and allegedly the DVLA or whatever they call themselves this week have 55 thousand HGV licenses/medical re newels etc still being processed ffs
A good mate of mine 2 years ago had a medical issue so had to surrender his licence, he is now fit to drive and has been trying for 15 months to get a provisional disability licence "I believe it's called" So he can have a driving assessment to get his full licence back and they are still dicking him about and no licence!

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
Brexit would just have been an element of the shortage, the protesters on the M25, COVID, BP lighting the flames, drivers stuck elsewhere.

If you are going to blame Brexit for every single issue then it’s going to get a bit tiresome.

The transition away from a low productivity, low wage, low skill, high immigration economy will not be swift or stable but as LGV drivers are finding out there are some upsides.
The great unwashed have to pay for it. They will not have it. Low productivity , low wage, low skill economy comes from the Tories. Someone has to do the service. I was so please to see my B1.1 aircraft maintenance licence has been returned by the CAA. Got C catergory on it now so I can certify a tech log out of Base Maintenace now. The fact I cannot work anywhere outside the UK is an inconvience. But it is a live AML with currency.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
The great unwashed have to pay for it. They will not have it. Low productivity , low wage, low skill economy comes from the Tories. Someone has to do the service. I was so please to see my B1.1 aircraft maintenance licence has been returned by the CAA. Got C catergory on it now so I can certify a tech log out of Base Maintenace now. The fact I cannot work anywhere outside the UK is an inconvience. But it is a live AML with currency.
And labour didn't encourage cheap foreign labour into the country while simultaneously leading UK teens to think that worthwhile jobs only come from a 3 degree course, even if it's at the university of lower bumpkin in the world.?

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
And labour didn't encourage cheap foreign labour into the country while simultaneously leading UK teens to think that worthwhile jobs only come from a 3 degree course, even if it's at the university of lower bumpk
And saddled the taxpayer with a student loan bill that will never be repayed.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
And labour didn't encourage cheap foreign labour into the country while simultaneously leading UK teens to think that worthwhile jobs only come from a 3 degree course, even if it's at the university of lower bumpkin in the world.?
You got a degree? Come back when you have. My youngest daughterhas a degree in psychotherapy and is now her job. My eldest is a physicans associate. Look them up as lower bumpkin. I have an HNC in mechanical engineering. I joined the RAF with 4 O levels as it was a minimum requirement to join in my trade. Kids now try at School. I didn't try hard, i bet you didn't try at all. To get public service degrees they required to build up debts against their names of many thousands. Tory charges. You have an answer? One that actually stands inspection?

Last edited:
You got a degree? Come back when you have. My youngest daughterhas a degree in psychotherapy and is now her job. My eldest is a physicans associate. Look them up as lower bumpkin. I have an HNC in mechanical engineering. I joined the RAF with 4 O levels as it was a minimum requirement to join in my trade. Kids now try at School. I didn't try hard, i bet you didn't try at all. To get public service degrees they required to build up debts against their names of many thousands. Tory charges. You have an answer? One that actually stands inspection?

HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!!

The only degrees that matter are measured in Celsius... or Fahrenheit...or Kelvin's but don't ask me how that is or can be because I had to give up my schooling and my hopes so I can educate the world.

But my, I see you make a sacrifice and like me have HNC... Have No Certificates. You are a true warrior and should honourably superglue yourself to the M25 to prove the celsius degrees are the superior degrees. Although there's some nice sunny weather coming up and you don't want to miss that so do it when it's raining or a bit cloudy.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
No I haven't got a degree, nor do I knock anyone who has, - good for them if they have got a good qualification that they are using. My point was that for years teenagers were told that the only way to get a good job and be a useful member of society was to get a degree (no matter what in or where from) and that any job that didn't need a degree wasn't really worth having. At the same time the 'unqualified' or supposedly 'menial' jobs could be done by cheap foreigners. (Little different really to the post WW2 recruitment from the commonwealth of people for low paid menial jobs here).

Well, guess what? there are jobs that can be done without degrees but which are nevertheless highly skilled and, for a bit of graft, not that badly paid and that are essential for the smooth running of the country. (Oh, and to get some of them candidates have to fund their own training without the benefit of a student loan to help them out). Many 'menial' jobs actually need skill & aptitude to be done well - something that is rarely appreciated and often not appropriately rewarded.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!!

The only degrees that matter are measured in Celsius... or Fahrenheit...or Kelvin's but don't ask me how that is or can be because I had to give up my schooling and my hopes so I can educate the world.

But my, I see you make a sacrifice and like me have HNC... Have No Certificates. You are a true warrior and should honourably superglue yourself to the M25 to prove the celsius degrees are the superior degrees. Although there's some nice sunny weather coming up and you don't want to miss that so do it when it's raining or a bit cloudy.
Got a qualification via the service? I did. I also put that knowledge back into the service by solving service problem by it. I walk, you talk.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
Labour did introduce tuition fees though...Sorry if off topic.

Introduction of tuition fees
In 1997, a report by Sir Ron Dearing recommended that students should contribute to the costs of university education. The Labour government under Tony Blair passed the Teaching and Higher Education Act 1998 which introduced tuition fees of £1,000 per academic year to start in the 1998/9 academic year.[4] In addition, maintenance grants were replaced with repayable student loans for all but the poorest students. The total loans provided by the SLC increased from £941 million in the 1997/8 academic year, to £1.23 billion in the next year, when tuition fees took effect.[3]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stude...Kingdom#Creation_of_the_Student_Loans_Company