• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LAC Martin Beard, Royal Air Force Regiment killed in Iraq

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
Martin Beard

_44048764_beard_mod203.jpg

Rest In Peace

'Per Ardua'

Leading Aircraftman Beard, aged 20, was taking part in a routine foot patrol in the Al Waki district north of the British Base at Basra Air Station. The aim of the patrol was to deter indirect fire attacks on the base and reassure the local population.
Leading Aircraftman Beard sustained a gunshot wound when the patrol came under attack as it moved through Al Waki Market. He was evacuated by helicopter to the field hospital but sadly did not survive.

Leading Aircraftman Martin Beard

Leading Aircraftman Martin Beard was from Rainworth, near Mansfield in Nottinghamshire. He leaves behind his loving family and fiancée Nic.

In a statement, the Officer Commanding No 1 Squadron Royal Air Force Regiment, Squadron Leader Jason Sutton, said:
"Leading Aircraftman Martin Beard had just turned 20 and had been with the Squadron since September, when he graduated from basic training with flying colours; an extremely proud day for his whole family but particularly for his sisters Victoria and Rachael to whom he was especially close. Better known to the Squadron as 'Beardy', he was outwardly a quiet man but this concealed a wicked sense of humour which would emerge at the most unexpected moments, usually when morale on his Flight needed a lift.
"Strong, fit and an exceptionally gifted infantryman, he had such a bright future and had already set his sights on selection for special forces. I have no doubt whatsoever he would have succeeded in that as he did in all else. He was due to marry upon his return from Iraq and we all feel so deeply for his fiancée, Nic.
"My words though, can never be as meaningful as those of his friends on his Flight. Leading Aircraftman Matthew Brown, who underwent basic training with Martin, told me:
'I first met Beardy on our basic training, where his confidence was obvious. We were busy but he always found time to talk to you and cheer you up. He was always up for going out with the lads and was a very happy person. After he passed out of training he planned to propose to his girlfriend of many years. He was so nervous, even though he pretended not to be, but when she accepted he couldn't wipe the smile off his face. A few weeks later he was proudly giving away his sister at her wedding, showing off his new uniform: but that was him, a poser on the sly. When I found out I was going to be on the same squadron, the same flight, the same fire team and even his battle buddy, I told him that try as I might I would obviously never get rid of him! He was a great soldier with potential to go far and had a future planned in the Regiment. He will never be forgotten and remembered for the good things and times. Per Ardua.'

Picture to be added to e-goat database - wobbly

Last edited:

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Every loss of life in this pointless war is sad, but when a LAC, straight from training, is killed it's hard not to get angry that he never even had a chance to experience life, to prove himself, to go as far as he could with endless opportunity.

What a waste. RIP mate. St Peter's FP Wing is starting to get a little overcrowded.

B

Bill Bones

Get your breath back at the Big Re-Org in the sky.

Per Ardua

Missed by the RAF Regt Fraternity, forever and always.

D

Defender of the universe

Rest In Peace mate.
God be with your family at their hour of need.
Another Angel sent to heaven .......... at such a young age too. Life hadnt even begun for this young pup yet he still gave in the hope that others will continue to have better existance.
God Bless Sleep well