• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Job Evaluations

Captain Kirk

Corporal
Good news for NCA, they’ve been up banded to level 3. Also heard that a new trade, Cyber, has gone in at level 4.
I’m no longer in, but does that mean C4I have split down the middle? I’ve not heard about the main problem yet, of armourers being in the wron supp.
Absolutely jobs for the boys if you’ve completed lobotomy at Sleaford, as they’re flush enough to pay the same to a pilot as they are to a TDO.

Last edited:

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Fewer screwdrivers and more systems tests in the future, will they flip the Trade numbers round?

Cyber technicians to supersede mechanics in RAF revolution

For those of us who don't subscribe.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fewer screwdrivers and more systems tests in the future, will they flip the Trade numbers round?

Cyber technicians to supersede mechanics in RAF revolution

As we delve deeper and evolve into the digital age, aircraft engineers will of course be part of that evolution. People will need to up-skill, re-skill and in many cases, new-skill as digitalisation changes the face of the technologies from the physical, to the virtual.

There will still be need for mechanical/propulsion, electrical/avionic engineers because there will still be a need for an airframe and associated systems, propulsion systems and electrical and avionic systems. There are laws of physics that cannot be digitised.

ERT

Corporal
Pay increase, for the massive insurge of personnel/experience needed for the Cyber trade. Once its saturated, things will resume to normal stance....or....the other trades will increase.

Just speaking about engineers, the reality is, without avionics/electrical/propulsion/airframes/weapons, we are not a air force....

I see that Avionics is currently Supp 3, with also Trade Pay on top....thats probably equal to Supp 4?

unruly1986

Sergeant
Pay increase, for the massive insurge of personnel/experience needed for the Cyber trade. Once its saturated, things will resume to normal stance....or....the other trades will increase.

Just speaking about engineers, the reality is, without avionics/electrical/propulsion/airframes/weapons, we are not a air force....

I see that Avionics is currently Supp 3, with also Trade Pay on top....thats probably equal to Supp 4?
From the CASWO seminar last week, it sounds like we are going for COTS UAS systems to the point of them being throwaway. no need for all the traditional tech trades apart from for legacy platforms if that happens. It’s all about data, networks, etc. Or so they tell us.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
The days of "Engineers" are numbered. Nowadays, its more about replacing a part that's manufactured by a civilian company after conducting a computerised diagnostic test that tells you what to change.

Captain Kirk

Corporal
CASWO wasn't on set filming with CAS this week?

I know it's old news, but could any WO ever degrade the rank and credibility it has more than him?!! The NL loved it, and who knows who they passed it on to!

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The days of "Engineers" are numbered. Nowadays, its more about replacing a part that's manufactured by a civilian company after conducting a computerised diagnostic test that tells you what to change.
Tell me of a military aircraft platform that was ever designed and built solely by the RAF? Pretty much everything that has flown has been designed and manufactured by a civilian company so I'm not exactly sure what your point is there Mutty.

As for "the days of engineers are numbered", to a certain degree you may very well be correct. With the advance of technology, AI,self repairing metallics, self repairing aircraft skin and self repairing systems, there's a huge possibility that technicians as we know them today may no longer exist. Pretty much as the technicians who worked on wooden airframe and fabric skinned aircraft would find themselves redundant in todays technological environments. In an earlier post, I mentioned the word "evolve". As technology evolves, so will the people around it.

Captain Kirk

Corporal
Tell me of a military aircraft platform that was ever designed and built solely by the RAF? Pretty much everything that has flown has been designed and manufactured by a civilian company so I'm not exactly sure what your point is there Mutty.

As for "the days of engineers are numbered", to a certain degree you may very well be correct. With the advance of technology, AI,self repairing metallics, self repairing aircraft skin and self repairing systems, there's a huge possibility that technicians as we know them today may no longer exist. Pretty much as the technicians who worked on wooden airframe and fabric skinned aircraft would find themselves redundant in todays technological environments. In an earlier post, I mentioned the word "evolve". As technology evolves, so will the people around it.
I think you are right for now. The high tech war over Africa that will come soon needs helicopters and freight, not invisible aircraft that cost £££.
Now you have a Typhoon engineer that has less worth than some fatty not in uniform sat in his undercrackers at home being paid more. I left at the right time.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
The strides being made in alternative fuel aircraft is moving at quite a pace, less complicated more solid state systems with fewer moving parts, with propulsion based direction control, then you’ve got single use rockets that don’t come back for repairs or servicing.

And that’s if we still use physical ordinance delivery, who knows what the military futurologists are thinking about.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Good news for NCA, they’ve been up banded to level 3. Also heard that a new trade, Cyber, has gone in at level 4.
I’m no longer in, but does that mean C4I have split down the middle? I’ve not heard about the main problem yet, of armourers being in the wron supp.
Absolutely jobs for the boys if you’ve completed lobotomy at Sleaford, as they’re flush enough to pay the same to a pilot as they are to a TDO.
I'm assuming by Cyber for Level 4 that they mean PROPER cyber in the way the media thinks of it: i.e. serious coding skills and ethical hacking etc?? Top paying skills.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm assuming by Cyber for Level 4 that they mean PROPER cyber in the way the media thinks of it: i.e. serious coding skills and ethical hacking etc?? Top paying skills.
To attract the right talent, the pay has to be the at the right level. How the HR bods work out that value to reward talent is a science in itself.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
To attract the right talent, the pay has to be the at the right level. How the HR bods work out that value to reward talent is a science in itself.
No science, labour market sets the range and then you decide where you want to sit within it, depending on your location, sector and margin.

You know if you’ve got it right because you recruit enough of the right people

dctyke

Corporal
The strides being made in alternative fuel aircraft is moving at quite a pace, less complicated more solid state systems with fewer moving parts, with propulsion based direction control, then you’ve got single use rockets that don’t come back for repairs or servicing.

And that’s if we still use physical ordinance delivery, who knows what the military futurologists are thinking about.
Kamikaze, air defence or ground attack drone with integeral weapon out of the box.