• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

JHC, a positive for a career or a negative?

Are there benefits from working for the army, or are there more pitfalls than benefits? Do the army over promote their idiots? Are the RAF held in high regard, or do they struggle for parity at their equivalent rank?

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
As the army kick the majority of their personnel out after 22 years, you find they get promoted quicker. As long as you can accept taking orders from someone younger than you with less service, and less knowledge, then it will be fine.

In my experience of Tri-service rule by the Army, the RAF are treated like a bunch of naughty schoolkids.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Are there benefits from working for the army, or are there more pitfalls than benefits? Do the army over promote their idiots? Are the RAF held in high regard, or do they struggle for parity at their equivalent rank?

Anything with JOINT in it hasn't Applecruncher. Means you get people with the wrong priorities of pace-sticks, bullying and infantry like fitness taking priority over real engineering!!! And heavens above you do get an RAF person with the highest Rank in the section...DAH DAH..next day you will find some Army wallah miraculously promoted 1 rank above to be in charge...

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Anything with JOINT in it hasn't Applecruncher. Means you get people with the wrong priorities of pace-sticks, bullying and infantry like fitness taking priority over real engineering!!! And heavens above you do get an RAF person with the highest Rank in the section...DAH DAH..next day you will find some Army wallah miraculously promoted 1 rank above to be in charge...

RJL,

Slightly off topic but sort of related to the OP's question.

If you are in a "Joint" environment, do you serve under Army law or RAF law? For example (hypothetically), if you refused to do PT when told by an army bod who said you had to "do it now", but you carried on repairing an important piece of RAF related kit, how would the disciplinary aspect of service be administered?

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
TW.

A lot of stuff has moved from individual service regs to Joint Publications. However as we have seen recently with the Joint Publication with reference to leave (and being on call at the same time???) the Army choose to ignore these and effectively bully by means of rank the RAF into submission, again normally ensuring that they have the ranks in the "correct" positions.

As for the official line of Army or RAF law I cannot answer that one in "Joint" environments I'm afraid. I just can only bring up the Army 1-upmanship that exists which has the completely wrong priorities in a technical environment.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
As for the official line of Army or RAF law I cannot answer that one in "Joint" environments I'm afraid. I just can only bring up the Army 1-upmanship that exists which has the completely wrong priorities in a technical environment.

That was why I asked the question. If I were in the OP's shoes, it's one of the first things that I would wish to know.

Maybe Lilsitll can find out something?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Unless it's something you really want to do is avoid it, at least in the RAF there is some semblance of fairness and respect. I always found that there are too many people in the Army who are political and petty, and they normally have rank with it.

ERT

Corporal
No issues, get to know the person and not the Rank..

If they get to Sgt after 7-8 years, and your jealous or cant accept it. Then you either need to not apply for the job, or join the Army..

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
In my experience they just like to be in charge rightly or wrongly. They kick and scream stamp their feet till they are. OC and OC Eng JHF in afghan rotated between army raf navy and the odd marine. WO was always army, never saw any other, they always had a hard on for something, trouser twists was my favourite. I wear them anyway but the fact he'd chew lads out for using the ties in trousers was amazing.
One OC eng was an army major. Only eng'd on fecking tanks. No aviation experince what so ever. He came round chatted to us told us we were the Merlin experts and he'd do everything to help us. So He cancelled a Dstate for an exhaust seal that fell apart during an engine removal. It takes 12-24 for the glue to set properly on figment. The cab was dead for two days anyway, if we had received it when we were going to it would of flown on the third day as planned. He downgraded it because there was to many Merlin dstates, Brize was overloaded and it was only an oring and it would arrive the next day. His train set his decision. He thought we were taking the biscuit. No really needing the bits that urgently but just putting them on Dstate regardless. He got made to look aright idiot over that when we had an aircraft that couldn't fly. OC jhf (RAF) asked why the aircraft was not serviceable when it was only down for two days max. Our WO told him someone down grade a Dstate. He asked who, our WO said you'll need to ask OC eng! Apparently OC eng was taken to one side after the meeting!

Glad I'm off jointery. Idiots the lot of them.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
In my experience, jointery with th Navy is ok, jointery with the Army is fecking awful.

LilStill

Sergeant
That was why I asked the question. If I were in the OP's shoes, it's one of the first things that I would wish to know.

Maybe Lilsitll can find out something?

I'll have a look. I'm not P1 Q'd but I think it would depend on location and 'crime.' MAA is definitely a local thing and could be dealt with entirely locally regardless of Service. I think a charge would need to go to RAF Legal for approval. I'll have a nosy and confirm.