• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If you're thinking of Joining - and are already employed.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
This is advice for those thinking of joining up having already left full time education or are already employed in a full time job.

As friendly as the are - your employers are there to make money and you have a contract with them to produce their needs (as you are currently doing).
As soon as you tell your employer that you're thinking of joining up - and whether they say they support you or not - they will be looking at replacing you...

It is NOT a good idea to tell your employer your dreams and aspirations are to leave the company. Unless your employer is your Mom & Dad do not tell them that your future plans are to leave the company as early as you can.

As soon as you tell them, your company will write you off as a "leaver" and they will want to move on. You will be burning your bridge with every word of update you say to them - you're now a Leaver - thats why they now want you out, and replaced with a more stable employee.

MY advice is that you don't know you're leaving for the RAF until everybody agrees that you're definitely IN. Until you're IN you are OUT - and you need a job when you're OUT.

1. DON'T TELL PEOPLE YOUR BUSINESS - Give the minimum Notice Period to leave as part of your resignation.
2. DON'T TRAIN ANYBODY TO DO YOUR JOB - until you've resigned
3. KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT UNTIL YOU KNOW WHATS HAPPENING!! - You may still FAIL to get in...

If you plan properly there should not be a problem in your joining up, but life and accidents can get in the way and health checks can reveal all sorts that you and your family may not be aware of...You MUST have a "Plan B".

You are not IN until you have a LETTER in your hand. Expect the best - plan for the worst.

Good luck to you all.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Top post.

If anyone wishing to join finally makes it into any of the branches of Armed Forces, one of the bread and butter basics you'll learn is the "Need to Know" principle.
Look it up and learn it now. It exists to protect you and to protect others.
Good luck!

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
When I was looking at joining the RAF back in 1987, I kept the whole process secret from my employer, using holidays etc for interviews.

Only when I had an official acceptance and a start date did I let me employer know along with my letter of notice to leave.

Things change, for you and the RAF, until you have it in writing, believe nothing.

Example, I received a letter from the CIO on a Friday, saying that there was no spaces for my selected trade, the very next day, I received another letter confirming my start dates (notice only went in when all signed off and accepted).

Always think twice and consider the consequences to your actions

Wobbly_Jon

Corporal
This is advice for those thinking of joining up having already left full time education or are already employed in a full time job.

As friendly as the are - your employers are there to make money and you have a contract with them to produce their needs (as you are currently doing).
As soon as you tell your employer that you're thinking of joining up - and whether they say they support you or not - they will be looking at replacing you...

It is NOT a good idea to tell your employer your dreams and aspirations are to leave the company. Unless your employer is your Mom & Dad do not tell them that your future plans are to leave the company as early as you can.

As soon as you tell them, your company will write you off as a "leaver" and they will want to move on. You will be burning your bridge with every word of update you say to them - you're now a Leaver - thats why they now want you out, and replaced with a more stable employee.

MY advice is that you don't know you're leaving for the RAF until everybody agrees that you're definitely IN. Until you're IN you are OUT - and you need a job when you're OUT.

1. DON'T TELL PEOPLE YOUR BUSINESS - Give the minimum Notice Period to leave as part of your resignation.
3. KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT UNTIL YOU KNOW WHATS HAPPENING!! - You may still FAIL to get in...

If you plan properly there should not be a problem in your joining up, but life and accidents can get in the way and health checks can reveal all sorts that you and your family may not be aware of...You MUST have a "Plan B".

You are not IN until you have a LETTER in your hand. Expect the best - plan for the worst.

Good luck to you all.
Couldn't agree more. DON'T burn your bridges until you have crossed over nd then only burn them IF YOU ARE REALLY CERTAIN. When I decided to retire from full time employment I didn't say jack sheite until I sat down with my senior manager and handed him my official letter. As I was already training up a new member of the department I was able to take a back seat but it was the longest 3 months I ever spent at work. I did at least leave on very good terms with everyone in the team. So much so for the first year they tried to convince me to go back on part time, needless to say I politely declined.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
When I was leaving I played it a little too canny and whilst keeping my cards close to my chest got nobbled for a short notice deployment on Op Ellamy...Once I came clean and showed them the contract I had been offered they still sent me (part-sulk and part there was no-one else to fill that role) but got me back two weeks before my leave date...I did the 16(?) clicks on the day I got back then went into a flurry of clearing.

On leaving BAE for my current firm I again had to keep quiet...They had paid in full for my MA and there should have been some signed forms guaranteeing my service for a full 3 years after award of the degree...which was still sat in my in-tray because I *ahem* forgot to sign it. I forewent a leaving bash to not pay back about £8k...fair swap!

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..

Good luck to you all.
Ha, ha! I had a letter to join with a start date and all the pre employment stuff done. Start date set. Covid destroyed. Nothing is set in stone. Ever. All those pilots trying to rejoin the air force at the minute.