• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How was the alert for you?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So the nation had a dummy emergency alert sent to lots of phones today. I was golfing so managed to give a it huge ignoring and some folk I know never even recieved a message.

Useful or useless? How was it for you?

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Nowt happened on my phone. Its a 4g, so should have alerted. Clearly my part of Stamford is so safe that even HMG national alerts dont need to be broadcast!

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I was visiting my nephew & there was 5 of us in the room at 1500. By coincidence, I looked at my phone at 1459 and the first of 5 phones started within seconds however there was a delay of a minute or so before the last phone (mine) started - long enough to be able to comment on it at the time about not receiving it. The noise wasn't as loud as I expected but otherwise no real problems.
No doubt the twitteridiosphere will be full of conspiracies/protests/how we stopped it lunatics who will believe anything except that the system is a good idea for warning about imminent dangers and that a test is meant to find problems so any problems that did occur today can be investigated and resolved for the future. From what I have seen on the news, it seems to have been people on the 3 network that had most problems.

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Mine went off on time in Lincoln, indicating that the Idiotometer had flickered into the red, as another mouth breather had filled the local IQ void.

kawoloki

Sergeant
Pisses me right off when I see news headlines sensationalising the "Test Fails" narrative.... As said earlier, it was a test, we're trying to isolate what works and doesn't!!

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Most of my friends and family in the UK turned the warning off in their phone settings.

If they subsequently get sucked into any sort of whirling Tornado that hits Lincoln, it's their own fault from now on.

Wobbly_Jon

Corporal
Forgot all about it until my phone kicked of and then 30 seconds later Mrs W_Js phone sparked in to life. What a waste of time, tax payers money and effort to tick a box on someones must do to get promotion list

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I cannot understand all the negativity about the alert system.

It wasn't long since many people complained like fúck that nobody informed them about expected flooding.

A lot of those people hadn't signed up for the Environment flood alerts, so they should be happy that they will automatically get danger alerts which will mean that they don't have to get off their arses and look for alerts.

mild mannered janitor

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Ive got emergency alerts turned off on my phone, if ive not heard about it on the news or fail to see it with my eyballs what use is a leeping phone gonna make ?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Can we read anything into the timing of a test? I can't remember any others in my time of owning a mobile....ever...and yet one happens as Putin keeps insinuating the use of nukes?