• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hotels and Allowances

MattBombHead

Sergeant
I'm currently away on a course, and am accommodated in a reasonably decent hotel.

For one reason and another, I'm unable to make it to the mess for my evening meal, so will be dining in the hotel of an evening.

My question is, what am I entitled to claim back? I'm aware of the £25 DS limit, but what can I reasonably put on the bill?

The JSP says £25 per day mate. If you GPC it then they split it into 3 meals.
Lil will be the expert, but I'm pretty sure you can eat it all in one meal, dinner!!

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If DS is authorised its 25 notes and can be spent on dinner. Be careful claiming it though, I've seen it clawed back because auditors claimed the individual should have driven bac to the unit for an evening meal.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
I'm going to be working through evening meal times... I'll see about a note from the instructor 'for audit purposes'.

Can I put a couple of lagers on there?

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
See if the hotel you are in can give you a hand written receipt that may add up to £25, even if you have spent less :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Hotels and Allowances

Matt, if the HOTAC is less than 5 miles from the service unit, then you won't be able to claim for DS.

You can claim for lunch and dinner up to the cost of £25 per day (assuming you are on a B&B booking?) which can include either a pint if beer or a 175ml glass if wine.

Just because you are planning to be working throughout the meal time is immaterial - the ruling states that unless you are further than 5 miles from a service unit, you eat in a service mess. It's a hard and fast rule that is enforced by your Stn Auditor.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
I don't get that. The mess is unavailable as he is working through their mealtimes - when he finishes his work the mess will be closed; even if it is within 5 miles, how is he supposed to eat there?

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Hotels and Allowances

Do the exigencies of the course require working through mealtimes or is it a personal choice to work through them? The auditor will expect to see a paragraph in the JIs stating that the mess is unavailable to all course members if that is the case. However, surely a late meal can be booked? The auditor will want to know why this wasn't taken up. It isn't unknown for auditors to contact units to find out mess timings and the feasibility of late meals, in order to ascertain facts.

As I said, it's written in JSP 752 and the rules are hard and fast. I'm not saying it's right or wrong -these are the facts whether we like them or not.

Last edited: