• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hi Vis Belts For All

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
One dark n dingy night many moons ago during the first gulf shopping expedition, I remember being very very grateful for my reflcto belt. Being the weapons pin biatches me and my mate were walking across a very big, dark and isolated aircraft pan, when a 'State 2' was declared. I can clearly remember the bellow of the American crash machines hammering down the pan, headlights blending in with every other panside light The crash wagons went either side of us and were well sh1ttening.

During a night ops exercise at Akrotiri I had to drive down to liaise with the crew of an Albert down on the dispersal. With no pan lights on I was making my way cautiously across the dispersal (honestly) when in the gloom of the Landy headlights appeared the WO mover on his way back from the same aircraft, on his treader, no lights, no hi-viz anything on his person.
I must have missed the silly bugger by a foot or so as I swerved to avoid him, and yet he had the temerity to try and have a go at me for nearly hitting him facepalm.gif

dkh51250

Sergeant
Old John. I was at Barnham just before you, the reason for the issue of those reflective armbands was due to a fatal collision that occurred on the road between camp and the Marquis of Granby pub. One of the guys from Barnham lost his life after being run over on the way back from the Marquis. I have a hazy recollection of the car driver being a Wing Commander on his way home to his quarter at Honington.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
PSB I agree for Aki , I don't think that I've ever been to camp so dark at night. It doesn't help that most of their MT seems to have 2 and a half watt light bulbs fitted for headlights. Any little might help out there.

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
Hi-viz belts have arrived at a secret base in North Yorkshire. SRO entry being drafted today for inclusion in next edition.

How will they initiate the wearing of the belt?

Will it be tannoyed? "Op BE SEEN is now in force"

I'm going to wear mine for IRT next month & see if the Regt FS pops a vein...

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Right this is now in our SRO's. All personnel are to collect from stores and AP1358 will be amended to state: "The belt is to be worn during hours of darkness and in poor visibility (when vehicles are expected to use dipped headlights) but individuals can use their discretion in good visibility during daylight". Just seems like common sense to me.

Last edited: