• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Helicopter crash Basra on 6 May 2006

C

Crabman

No doubt about the RIP for our fallen comrades.

It begs one question though:

Isn't it about time we changed our ROE and just started shooting them?

P

POB

RIP Lads

RIP Lads

My thoughts and prayers are with all of those affected by this terrible tragedy...Well done to the lads on the ground for showing the kind of restraint that has made the British Forces the best in the world.

B

Bluntend

POB said:
My thoughts and prayers are with all of those affected by this terrible tragedy...Well done to the lads on the ground for showing the kind of restraint that has made the British Forces the best in the world.

Well said POB. Like the loss of any serviceman or woman this is a real tragedy. Condolences to friends, family and colleagues in theatre.

More thoughts can be found here: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=224817

Sad though that the majority of our media chose to give priority to the 'Blair Crisis' and in one case Billy Piper getting a Bafta rather than the loss of 5 British Servicemen in a single incident. Sad, very sad.

Last edited:

Plumber

Flight Sergeant
As with all condolences to the friends and families of the guys.

Its a sad reflection on today's society when gossipy tittle tattle is thought to be more news worthy than the tragic loss of life of people serving their country. I was actually quite annoyed when watching the news last night, and the events where reported as nothing more than a mere tag on to another event that had happened out there today which was covered in the also happened today section.

T

Twonston Pickle

My condolences also go to the family and friends of the crew.

I have to say though, I don't think the majority of Basrah citizens were gloating at the deaths. As those who have served there will know, any incident provides the opportunity for a number of things to happen:

1. A crowd gathers to out of curiosity and/or to assist in the initial incident.

2. Demonstrations about current gripes may then take place, most may be completely unrelated to the incident (lack of elec, water etc).

3. Extremists start rehtoric about "how all the problems are the fault of the British and Basrah would be much better without them [the british]".

4. A minority of violent thugs start the fire bombs and it escalates from there.

I do not wish to demean the sacrifice that our colleagues have made but lets not tar all Iraqis with the same brush. I, too, am pleased that our response was proportionate; the TV pictures clearly show Iraqis shooting Iraqis; maybe the extremists hoped to pin the death on our soldiers?

One consolation to me was that it ruined Mr Bliar's birthday. Not that we should have to make sacrifices to do so but hopefully it made him reflect on the poor leadership and judgement he has shown.

B

Bluntend

Apologies to all but I have edited my last post - this isn't the time or place for political mud slinging.

Perhaps more relevant to the "What makes you Proud..." forum but it is at times like these when our Service colleagues have made the supreme sacrifice that we close ranks regardless of the colour of our uniform. Inter Arm, Trade or Branch rivalry is put aside and we stand united in sadness and pride. The sentiments of people on this site are echoed on the Navy and Army sites and I think it is safe to say that all are thoughts are with the friends and family of those lost. I for one will save my criticism of those responsible for another day.

God speed.

Last edited:
P

POB

I have not got the link just yet, but they have just relesed the names on BBC news 24 teletext.

God speed my friend...So you there one day.

Last edited:

Chaka

Sergeant
Both Sarah and Lee (Scouse) were ATC students of mine and my thoughts are with him at this sad time.

Y

You Can Call Me Al

Sarah - one of the nicest and most professional people I have had the pleasure to meet. This news has put so much into perspective. Lee - my thoughts are with you.

Ian

FOMz

Warrant Officer
RIP Sarah, thoughts are with both you and Scouse right now. Grey news indeed on a grey day.

Mags

M

MyShineyAr$e

I know none of the personnel involved, but as with any loss of life within the military, regardless of Service, my thoughts go out to their friends and families.

T

tellitasitis

Heli Crash Basrah

Heli Crash Basrah

Flt Lt Sarah Mulvihill (Op Spt - Flt Ops) was confirmed as one of the 5 British service pesonnel to be killed in the heli crash in Basrah on Sat.

A tragic loss for the for the Ops community and 28 Sqn. RIP Sarah. Our thoughts and love go out to Lee and Sarahs family and friends.

S

Sparky

God bless Sarah, may your smile light up Heaven and my deepest sympathy to you Lee in this darkest of hours.
Carl