• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gulf War Syndrome.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Rumours abound that some new evidence has come to light with announcements following soon.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Care to expand on what the rumours might or might not be and who/what will be doing the announcing?

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm still trying to find a source but it is now alleged that the symptoms suffered by some of those who served in GW1 may be linked to the bombing of a chemical plant by whomever.

There's apparently some newly discovered evidence of a toxic gas cloud that existed over an as of yet unnamed area, which has now been linked to the various clusters of conditions of which GW1 veterans have complained.

Allegations are allegations... allegedly. Rumours of course will remain just that until this evidence is published.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
So, during GW1, we in the Chinook Det were encamped most of the time in the middle of nowhere (twice) surrounded by the US artillery guns and missiles and, one evening, the Nerve Gas’s alarm went off and we all masked up. The Rocks checked all the gubbins they had and gave the all clear, so we all unmasked. Life was as normal as could be again.
After the war I suffered a wide variety of the symptoms mentioned in the article and was a part of the UKs Gulf War study…as stated in the article, nothing happened.
So what happens now? Another 10 years of UK ‘checking’ and another few years waiting for a decision?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So what happens now? Another 10 years of UK ‘checking’ and another few years waiting for a decision?
Hopefully what ever happens, it happens faster than it did for those service people involved in the late 1950's Op Grapple

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
So, during GW1, we in the Chinook Det were encamped most of the time in the middle of nowhere (twice) surrounded by the US artillery guns and missiles and, one evening, the Nerve Gas’s alarm went off and we all masked up. The Rocks checked all the gubbins they had and gave the all clear, so we all unmasked. Life was as normal as could be again.
After the war I suffered a wide variety of the symptoms mentioned in the article and was a part of the UKs Gulf War study…as stated in the article, nothing happened.
Quite a few alarms etc Rigga - I think our standard check to see if it was clear to unmask was looking at the local population who had no masks. If they seemed ok, then it must be ok!

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
I have quite a few documents supplied via Lincoln MP at the time and one part details the alarms going off after a Scud was shot down by Patriot missiles and parts landed in the harbour, the alarms went of in sequence down wind, all claimed to be caused by the exhaust gasses from silent gennies. When I went to London for test and screening, they were really interested in the CALM plastic sheeting that we covered all the tents and vehicles with and the subsequent spraying to activate something in it, this was explained as insecticide to kill creatures that we could be bitten by in the desert and subsequently washed under the carpet as not an issue.

I also remember one of the 18 Sqd rocks who had the first anti-biological injection at Al Jubail and on the way to the mess hall he collapsed and spent some time in his camp bed post deployment as they still sent him despite being semi immobile. There was also something about the fall out from all the oil fires, again that was dismissed as nonsense.

The MO at RAF Cottesmore was convinced that some symptoms were like mad cow disease and wanted to send me and others to Scotland where they were able to test people for the issue, I believe farmers had similar problems from sheep dip chemicals, he got shot down and trod on from a great height and I think he parted company with the RAF post that.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Yes, I remember the NIAIDS going off being blamed on the amount of Jet Fumes in the air too. But we couldn’t smell it?